Alice Holmes

Jeremy Brett

It sounds like they're nearly all related in some fashion.  OK, I guess this (from The Family page) explains it:

A new company is established by 8 members of the family all of whom are relations of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle by blood or marriage. The company is lead by a board of three family directors ....

So the three are apparently the board members.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Perhaps Condon pointed out that all he did was extrapolate from the earlier (no longer copyrighted) stories.  Having seen the movie only once, I'm trying to recall -- did it mention Holmes's bees, or the location of his cottage?

Yes to the bees ... in fact, they played a rather pivotal role at the end, as I recall.

Not so sure about mentioning Sussex, but given the filmatic views of the cottage and its surroundings, I bet it was easy for a lot of people to guess.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:23 AM, Hikari said:

I enjoyed "Mr. Holmes" very much, too, though it was tough to see the Great Detective depicted as so frail.  Truly the loss of his intellect would be a fate worse than death for the Great Detective.  A former correspondent from the Amazon Movie Lounge declined to watch it owing to the 'decrepitude of the icon' which it depicts. 

I was somewhat reluctant to see it myself for the same reason. But I'm glad I did, I loved the movie. And I thought they managed an upbeat note to the ending.

Here's (sort of) the results of the lawsuit:

https://variety.com/2015/biz/news/mr-holmes-lawsuit-settlement-arthur-conan-doyle-1201585667/

It appears to have been resolved rather amicably, from what I can tell. No money involved, at any rate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Yes to the bees ... in fact, they played a rather pivotal role at the end, as I recall.

Not so sure about mentioning Sussex, but given the filmatic views of the cottage and its surroundings, I bet it was easy for a lot of people to guess.

It seems unlikely to me that they'd be able to sue over where the movie was filmed.  That's not exactly a plot point in the original stories.  As for the bees, not exactly a plot point either, I think, but getting warmer.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:40 PM, Hikari said:

Probably because they are the only ones with a connection to Conan Doyle.   Nobody cares about the lawyers and accountants that comprise the other 5.  :)

I assumed that the five that are mentioned at the bottom aren’t the ‘other’ five? Maybe they are though?