Jump to content
Alice Holmes

Jeremy Brett

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Douglas said:

Yes; I've just started watching all of the JEREMY BRETT as SHERLOCK HOLMES episodes  (in chronological order of release date) again; and how wonderful they were!! 

Indeed.  We will never see his like again . . .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hikari said:

Indeed.  We will never see his like again . . .

Hi Hikari: Yes; wasn't he brilliant! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No argument from me on this point👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, there, Juggler! Always nice to see new faces around! 

As a matter of fact, you may be more privileged than us old Sherlockians, because the adaptations, with a few (minor IMHO) misfires are so much more fun than the actual stories. In fact, Plaidadder has done a complete rewatch both on tumblr and Ao3 worth reading. My only bone to pick with the Granada production is The Eligible Bachelor, and even dear late Brett’s son was against it for health reasons!

P.S. Anyone watching dear JB flinging on his overcoat in the Illustrious Client will recognise a familiar trait of our beloved Sherlock, AKA Dr Strange.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s hard to believe but the great Jeremy Brett would have been 86 years old today. What a loss.

Happy birthday Mr Holmes👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Jeremy Brett would have been 86 years old today

He's been gone so long, it seems odd that he wouldn't be any older than 86 (an age when some actors are still working).  It would have been wonderful if his health had permitted him to finish filming the entire canon.  And then just for fun, he might have done a cameo on Sherlock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

He's been gone so long, it seems odd that he wouldn't be any older than 86 (an age when some actors are still working).  It would have been wonderful if his health had permitted him to finish filming the entire canon.  And then just for fun, he might have done a cameo on Sherlock.

Perhaps they might have asked him to star in Mr Holmes instead of Ian McKellen?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Perhaps they might have asked him to star in Mr Holmes instead of Ian McKellen?

Oh, now there is a delicious thought!  (Though I certainly had no quarrels with McKellen's performance.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed every time I think of him, which is often.  I hope he has found peace.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Oh, now there is a delicious thought!  (Though I certainly had no quarrels with McKellen's performance.)

Me neither Carol. I enjoyed Mr Holmes. I wouldn’t have complained if they had decided to do another ‘older Holmes’ movie. Not 90 of course but perhaps in early retirement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hikari said:

Missed every time I think of him, which is often.  I hope he has found peace.

I also hope that he gets the long overdue recognition that he deserves in the form of some kind of Lifetime Achievement Award.👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I also hope that he gets the long overdue recognition that he deserves in the form of some kind of Lifetime Achievement Award.👍

With the passage of time, this seems to be increasingly unlikely, sadly.  If he'd survived to a venerable age like his co-star David Burke (still with us), I imagine that the appropriate organizations would have been shamed into awarding him such.  It would have been so interesting to have Jeremy's take on his successors, including Cumberbatch, and just the pleasure of his company for all these years.

I think Rupert Everett's sole Holmes outing in The Case of the Silk Stocking is more Brett than Cumberbatch.  It's so delightfully snotty, I love it.  I think it's the best work Rupie ever did.   Pity there wasn't more while Everett still had the looks.  Ian Hart was a great Watson, also.

Michael Fassbender had an early role in this 2004 movie.  Michael is in the Sherlock aesthetic himself.  Maybe he should  have a crack at the Great Detective.  Playing young Magneto must be getting boring by now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hikari said:

David Burke (still with us)

And still doing the occasional acting job, in his 80's.   :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Me neither Carol. I enjoyed Mr Holmes. I wouldn’t have complained if they had decided to do another ‘older Holmes’ movie. Not 90 of course but perhaps in early retirement. 

I enjoyed "Mr. Holmes" very much, too, though it was tough to see the Great Detective depicted as so frail.  Truly the loss of his intellect would be a fate worse than death for the Great Detective.  A former correspondent from the Amazon Movie Lounge declined to watch it owing to the 'decrepitude of the icon' which it depicts.  Sherlock Holmes remains so popular 132 years after his creation because he's the original superhero, defying time, age and the limitations of the human body.  Sherlock Holmes accepts no limitations and defies Death to its face and spits in it!  (This despite abusing his instrument pretty grievously--Superheroes are Teflon.)

Laura Linney playing the uneducated lower-born housekeeper was droll, because Ms. Linney is very smart and usually plays very highly articulate, educated and competent types.

Nicolas Rowe (Young Sherlock Holmes, as was) turned up in the 'movie within the movie' as "Sherlock Holmes' and the first time through, I didn't recognize him straightaway, but that long face just looked *so* familiar!  Kudos to Bill Condon for that little tie-in to a Sherlock interpreter of the past.  I don't think Mr. Rowe turned up at the audition entirely by coincidence.  Nic is still in work, most recently appearing as Winston Churchill's secretary, then Queen's equerry Jock Coville in 'The Crown'.  Since the whole principal cast  have been replaced for the upcoming seasons,  I don't know if we will see him again in that project or not.

The Estate of Conan Doyle Ltd. kicked up a fuss over this screenplay and sued Bill Condon and the production, owing to the depiction of a retirement-era SH still being protected by copyright in the United States until 2023, I believe.  Since the movie went ahead, I can only assume the Estate lost their suit.  Perhaps Condon and Co. sicced Leslie Klinger on them!

A friend from high school is currently caring for her 77-year-old mother who has dementia and rarely recognizes her loved ones any more.  My friend gave up her apartment and moved in with her sister's family so that someone would always be on hand to supervise Mom.  This sweet lady had already been though so much,; widowed young, raising four children on her own as a single mother.  She was a college professor, which makes her affliction all the more ironic and sad.  She's younger than my mother, which just makes me realize how fortunate my sisters and I have been that our Mom is still independent and firing on all cylinders.  It's a cruel thing to be taken away from your loved ones and even yourself before you are actually gone.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hikari said:

The Estate of Conan Doyle Ltd. kicked up a fuss over this screenplay and sued Bill Condon and the production, owing to the depiction of a retirement-era SH still being protected by copyright in the United States until 2023, I believe.  Since the movie went ahead, I can only assume the Estate lost their suit.

Perhaps Condon pointed out that all he did was extrapolate from the earlier (no longer copyrighted) stories.  Having seen the movie only once, I'm trying to recall -- did it mention Holmes's bees, or the location of his cottage?

Which point makes me realize why Moftiss referred to said bees in such an indirect manner, by having Janine buy the cottage, complete with beehives.  They never said a word about Sherlock living there or having any interest in the bees.  It was just a wink.

2 hours ago, Hikari said:

A friend from high school is currently caring for her 77-year-old mother who has dementia and rarely recognizes her loved ones any more.  My friend gave up her apartment and moved in with her sister's family so that someone would always be on hand to supervise Mom.

Your friend and her sister (et al.) have my complete sympathy.  I hope there are enough people involved that no one needs to go short on sleep.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Perhaps Condon pointed out that all he did was extrapolate from the earlier (no longer copyrighted) stories.  Having seen the movie only once, I'm trying to recall -- did it mention Holmes's bees, or the location of his cottage?

Which point makes me realize why Moftiss referred to said bees in such an indirect manner, by having Janine buy the cottage, complete with beehives.  They never said a word about Sherlock living there or having any interest in the bees.  It was just a wink.

Your friend and her sister (et al.) have my complete sympathy.  I hope there are enough people involved that no one needs to go short on sleep.

Condon may have had a loophole to wiggle through since a Holmes at 93 was well beyond the purview of any post-retirement stories which Conan Doyle ever wrote.  Holmes was sixty in the last story.  I could understand the Estate's ire if people were reworking original stories in this period without paying the proper obeisance--at last check a $5000 'licensing fee' for every single occurrence of a post-retirement Holmes appearance.   Maybe the Condon team paid them off to go away.  The Estate must have similarly hassled the author of the source novel upon which the movie is drawn--A Trick of the Mind.   Just a few more years to go and that particular income stream will dry up.  The country of publication also matters.  The movie is entirely set in Sussex, so the cottage and beehives and everything Sherlock did in retirement is front and center.  But I think the production was British and the script was produced in Britain by a Briton and the property of a British company, so take that, Conan Doyle Estate.

David Marcum, editor of the collected New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, is constantly soliciting manuscripts for new volumes, and he releases 1-2 of these a year.  Sometimes three, depending on the material he gets.  He started in 2015 and is up to Vol. 15 or 16 by now.  These are published by a British publisher, so I think the Conan Doyle Estate can do nothing about that except gnash their teeth.  Good.  Les Klinger and Laurie King ran afoul of the Estate in 2014 because the project by Americans was being put out by an American publisher . . who pulled the book for publication rather than take on the Estate.  But Les (a top copyright lawyer by day) took the Estate to court and prevailed, so the book was allowed to go forward.  I think the Estate will try and get as much money as it can during the 3+ years it has left, though.

Rather telling that the Estate contributes nothing to the restoration/upkeep of Undershaw, former Conan Doyle home and current home of the Stepping Stones School for special needs students.  David Marcum's project is a labor of love entirely in support of the school and its preservation as a Conan Doyle museum.  Of course, none of the Conan Doyle Estate, Ltd. are actually family.  Rather telling where their priorities lie, and their priorities all go 'Cha-ching!'

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hikari said:

... none of the Conan Doyle Estate, Ltd. are actually family.

Really?  I was under the impression that it involved his children by his second wife.  Who is it then -- did they sell out to some corporation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Really?  I was under the impression that it involved his children by his second wife.  Who is it then -- did they sell out to some corporation?

Dame Jean Conan Doyle hand-selected the 8 people that make up the Estate before she passed away.  There are three family directors, comprised of a step-niece/distant cousins, I think.  Of Arthur's four surviving children by two wives (2 girls and 2 boys) none of them had any children.  The two girls never married; the two boys did but died quite young and without issue.  So I should rather say that while there are family connections by blood or marriage, none of them are actually of Arthur's line.  The eighth person with no tie to the family must be a lawyer.  :)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hikari said:

With the passage of time, this seems to be increasingly unlikely, sadly.  If he'd survived to a venerable age like his co-star David Burke (still with us), I imagine that the appropriate organizations would have been shamed into awarding him such.  It would have been so interesting to have Jeremy's take on his successors, including Cumberbatch, and just the pleasure of his company for all these years.

I think Rupert Everett's sole Holmes outing in The Case of the Silk Stocking is more Brett than Cumberbatch.  It's so delightfully snotty, I love it.  I think it's the best work Rupie ever did.   Pity there wasn't more while Everett still had the looks.  Ian Hart was a great Watson, also.

Michael Fassbender had an early role in this 2004 movie.  Michael is in the Sherlock aesthetic himself.  Maybe he should  have a crack at the Great Detective.  Playing young Magneto must be getting boring by now.

Perhaps with someone like Stephen Fry petitioning something might happen? 
 

I thought Rupert Everett was excellent as Holmes too. It would have been good if they’d decided to make another one. Ian Hart was a was Watson twice of course, to Everett and Roxburgh. Apparently he appeared in an episode of Elementary too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hikari said:

Dame Jean Conan Doyle hand-selected the 8 people that make up the Estate before she passed away.  There are three family directors, comprised of a step-niece/distant cousins, I think.  Of Arthur's four surviving children by two wives (2 girls and 2 boys) none of them had any children.  The two girls never married; the two boys did but died quite young and without issue.  So I should rather say that while there are family connections by blood or marriage, none of them are actually of Arthur's line.  The eighth person with no tie to the family must be a lawyer.  :)

 

The Directors are Catherine Ruml Doyle who is the daughter of Doyle’s nephew from his first wife. Richard John Francis Doyle who is the son of Doyle’s nephew from his second wife. And Director Of The Conan Doyle Estate is Richard Pooley who is Doyle’s step great Grandson. They don’t exactly advertise who the other 5 are though. No mention of them on the Estate website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

The Directors are Catherine Ruml Doyle who is the daughter of Doyle’s nephew from his first wife. Richard John Francis Doyle who is the son of Doyle’s nephew from his second wife. And Director Of The Conan Doyle Estate is Richard Pooley who is Doyle’s step great Grandson.

When you say "the son/daughter of Doyle's nephew from his nth wife," do you mean Doyle's nth wife or the nephew's?  Seeing as how those two directors are both named Doyle, I assume they're the offspring of the nephew (who would have to be the son of ACD's brother) and his nth wife, in which case they would at least be ACD's blood relatives, albeit collateral descendants rather than direct descendants.  Or am I assuming too much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

When you say "the son/daughter of Doyle's nephew from his nth wife," do you mean Doyle's nth wife or the nephew's?  Seeing as how those two directors are both named Doyle, I assume they're the offspring of the nephew (who would have to be the son of ACD's brother) and his nth wife, in which case they would at least be ACD's blood relatives, albeit collateral descendants rather than direct descendants.  Or am I assuming too much?

It would be the nephew’s Carol. I wonder why only these three get a mention?

https://conandoyleestate.com/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

It would be the nephew’s Carol. I wonder why only these three get a mention?

https://conandoyleestate.com/

Probably because they are the only ones with a connection to Conan Doyle.   Nobody cares about the lawyers and accountants that comprise the other 5.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.