Alice Holmes

Jeremy Brett

Sorry, but I don't understand your question.  :mellow:

"15" Refers to the 15 certificate issued by the BBFC in the UK, the logo for which is shown on the edge of the box set. The Rani was wondering which episode or piece of content on the DVD earned this age rating.

:)

• Like 1

Oh, thanks!  So that would be somewhat akin to an "R" rating for a movie.  Probably it's due to some slightly-too-violent scenes, but yes, it would be interesting to know the specifics.

Thinking back, I don't think any of the 'Jeremy Brett - Sherlock Holmes' series was too violent (possibly for the time but ratings change).

I found out which episodes are "15's" ("R"). Surprisingly, even 'The Resident Patient has been rated as one.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/releases/sherlock%20holmes/any/jeremy%20brett/any/any/0/any/any/any/27/any/any/any?advanced=true

• Like 1

So didn't "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot" not really any surprises there.

Here's a synopsis of their reasons:

The Last Vampyre:  "Contains moderate horror"

The Eligible Bachelor:  "Contains moderate violence, horror and injury detail"

The Resident Patient:  "Contains hanging scene"

The Devil's Foot:  "Contains strong bloody horror"

Wisteria Lodge:  "Contains strong violence and bloody injury detail"

• Like 3

I would also have expected "The Devil's Foot" to get a high rating because it shows Holmes dumping his current drug of choice and burying his syringe front and center on a beach.

I guess that was seen as a good thing.  But ya know, that scene has always bothered me -- I mean, what happens next time a sweet little kid goes barefoot on that beach?

I remember Jeremy Brett as 'Sherlock Holmes' in this very story.

That's surprising. They really have nothing in them at all, apart from possible one or two questionable scenes in the entire series. Or maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.

Sounds like they're mostly concerned about giving little kids nightmares.  Though in my case, it isn't the hanging scene in "Resident Patient" that creeps me out, it's the dream sequence at the beginning.

Sounds like they're mostly concerned about giving little kids nightmares.  Though in my case, it isn't the hanging scene in "Resident Patient" that creeps me out, it's the dream sequence at the beginning.

That beginning bit was definitely more creepy. It didn't really show you the hanging scene, and I don't remember it being graphic.

Well I suppose it was made a while ago. People were stricter about ratings.

• Like 1

I think Jeremy Brett's 'Sherlock' was a more scarier version than Benedict's. The atmosphere was very creepy at times possibly due to it being set in Victorian times, when they liked their 'murders' like that!

:axe:

• Like 2

The weird thing is, even though he had a beautiful singing voice, they dubbed his singing in My Fair Lady.  I've never heard an adequate explanation for that.  (They dubbed Audrey Hepburn too, but that's a bit more understandable, because although she had a nice singing voice, it was untrained.)

Another great topic !  :D   I was so taken with the Jeremy Brett Holmes that I desperately tried to tape each episode as it came on.  It was a logistical nightmare in the days before the PVR and I'm a bit forgetful when it comes to labeling things like VHS tapes (you know I still have some of those around the house ! :rolleyes: ).  Anyway, the Christmas before last, Costco came out with the entire series on DVD, so that was my Christmas present to myself.  I love Mr. Brett's quirky Holmes.  Again, as with Mr. Cumberbatch, I hadn't really seen him in any other role, so never got to see what else he could do ... so, to me, in a way, he is eternally Sherlock Holmes.  It looked a bit like life was starting to wear him down by the end of the series ... made me sad. :( 

Debbie

• Like 1

Yes, Brett was extremely ill by the end of the series (which would have gone on longer otherwise, as they'd intended to do all of the stories).  In fact, Mycroft had to stand in for Sherlock in "The Three Garridebs."

So you've never seen My Fair Lady?

• Like 1

So you've never seen My Fair Lady?

Actually, I think I might have seen bits and pieces on TV but don't have any great recollection of it.  Strange, I love show music, but rarely see the shows.  I had heard somewhere before that Mr. Brett was a good singer but that his voice had been dubbed in MFL.  I also heard that he was related to a famous family, Cadbury or one of the well-known confectioners. 

Debbie

Well, if they hadn't dubbed him, you could hear him on the soundtrack album singing "On the Street Where You Live."  Apparently he did do the lead-up to it, though, which I believe is included as part of the song.

Wait, that is Jeremy Brett? Freddy? Oh my... I can't imagine Freddy as Sherlock Holmes at all - just shows what a good actor can do, I guess! (Obviously, I've never seen the Jeremy Brett Holmes adaptation, and although I fully believe you that it's very well done, I don't intend to - "Sherlock" is all the imagery I can stand for those old stories).

Wait, that is Jeremy Brett? Freddy? Oh my... I can't imagine Freddy as Sherlock Holmes at all - just shows what a good actor can do, I guess! 

Yep Freddy is played by Jeremy Brett. I couldn't believe it when I'd found out and not realized before! I used to watch My Fair Lady over and over when I was little  :lol: I should go and rewatch it sometime.

Wait, that is Jeremy Brett? Freddy? Oh my... I can't imagine Freddy as Sherlock Holmes at all ....

That's because Freddy didn't play Sherlock Holmes -- he got Jeremy Brett to do it for him!  :P

Now you have simply got to check out Brett's Holmes.  You'll be utterly astounded and delighted, I promise you.

I couldn't believe it when I'd found out and not realized before! I used to watch My Fair Lady over and over when I was little  :lol: I should go and rewatch it sometime.

I had likewise seen both without making the connection.  I think what finally clued me in was the commentary on the My Fair Lady DVD -- not that it mentioned Holmes, but by then I was well familiar with Brett's name in that role.

I've been catching up with my beloved Jeremy by watching several of his episodes from my boxset; this explains my absence (I'm sorry - I should've given some warning).

It's just lovely to watch him, the way he moves, his eyes, his beautiful voice, and the quick pout as he smiles, and his laughter. I can't take my eyes off him.

I watch The Final Problem, and it's a fine episode, but when I get to the part where Watson theorizes what might have happened, and the look on Sherlock's face as he tries to alert Watson, I feel tears start to form, and I end up crying. :(

When I watch The Empty House, another fine episode, I feel the same joy Watson does when he sees Sherlock again. :):)

Yup - I clearly adore this man. ♥♥♥

• Like 2