Alice Holmes

Jeremy Brett

Yes, Brett was extremely ill by the end of the series (which would have gone on longer otherwise, as they'd intended to do all of the stories).  In fact, Mycroft had to stand in for Sherlock in "The Three Garridebs."

Yes that was such a shame you could really see the change in him when he got ill and put on weight. Poor Brett it can't have been pleasant for him.

I've just started to watch these, loving Jeremy Brett as Holmes and David Burke is an excellent Dr Watson. What a treat I am in for   :sherlock:

tumblr_n5ripdkRt31qd2jjto1_400.gif

• Like 2

I remember watching this series "back in the day" and I really loved it.  I had a little crush on Sherlock then because of Jeremy Brett.  Happened to be at the library yesterday and decided to check if they have the DVD boxed set and they did so I snatched it up and started watching yesterday.

My two boys are huge fans of the current Sherlock so I told them let's watch this series it will help fill in the time until we get our next Sherlock fix.  So they were hesitant because it was "old" and it "wasn't Benedict Cumberbatch" and it would be "boring" blah blah blah.  They began watching nearly against their will.......yes you guessed it!  They love it!  They think Jeremy Brett is fantastic (Benedict will always be their ultimate Sherlock Holmes, I think).

I noticed that to me their voices are quite similar.  They both have that nice authoritative low growl to them.  :wub:

Okay, okay, y'all have convinced me, I'm going to have to watch these again! I remember I loved them when they first came out but was never compelled to rewatch them. I have a friend that will be delighted; she absolutely loathes "Sherlock" simply because "only Brett can be Holmes."

The way I see it is Brett is the traditional Holmes, Cumberbatch is the modern.

• Like 3

There is room for crossovers in the Sherlock Holmes fandom....there is no need to loath Miller, Cumberbatch, or Brett for their portrayal of Holmes.....they are just different interpretations.....not a definitive interpretations of of the Consulting Detective. There are some who will see Rathbone as "The" Sherlock Holmes.

• Like 1

I agree, they're different, not necessarily better or worse -- kinda like different flavors of ice cream.  Different people will have different favorites, and some people's favorites may change from day to day, depending on mood or whatever.

Though there were so many different actors, and I know that Basil Rathbone was the definitive movie version, for me, Jeremy will always be my Sherlock..! :wub:

Loving Jeremy's Sherlock,  loving his wonderful little mannerisms, loving his naughtiness, loving his voice, loving his "R's".  

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Brett will always be my Victorian Holmes.....for the present....it's Cumberbatch....will have to see what the future holds.

I only just realised that I accidentally missed out 'The Speckled Band'. I did a little jig around the room when I knew there was still an episode I hadn't watched :D I plan on watching it tonight.

• Like 3

Have fun! Brett was....and is...a joy to watch!  I've sent for "Silk Stocking"....gotta love Amazon.

I'm sure I will. He is indeed. When I thought they hadn't made an adaption of this story I was really disappointed as it's one of favourites.  :)

I'll always regret that they never did a version of "A Study in Scarlet"  but I'll just have to live with the fact that now, they never can.

Well I watched it with my parents. Loved it <3 The scene where Stoke-Moran bursts into the room was perfect! "You scoundrel, sir. I've heard of you before! You are Holmes the meddler, Holmes the busybody, Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-office!" :D

• Like 1

I watched The Speckled Band today also,  I laughed at the scene with the fire poker, I am absolutely loving this series,  no wonder they kept at Jeremy to play Sherlock Holmes, he is perfection.  Whenever he comes on screen a big smile comes across my face, I just can't seem to help myself. 

So now I am up to The Blue Carbuncle,  I also love the person on Youtube that was kind enough to make a playlist with all the episodes and movies in correct sequence.

I know he's excellent as Holmes. I finished watching all the episodes early this year and am still rewatching them. He's just like what I thought Holmes would be like and I'm so glad they didn't make Watson and bumbling bafoon like Nigel Bruce's Watson.

You'll love The Blue Carbuncle, there's some great episode in that first series. That person who uploded them onto YouTube is a star! :)

• Like 1

I do love a Christmas Episode,  it did not disappoint.

Jeremy is just adorable.  Sherlock tumbling out of bed, straight for a cigarette.

tumblr_n66chzfaD51qd2jjto1_500.png

• Like 1

and my favourite photo at the moment and my wallpaper is

67710e5dfd8b1c1fc2ceda065f5435c8.jpg

• Like 1

I love Brett as Holmes!

Cumberbatch does an awesome job. But Moffat and Gattis play the "I show no sentiments" card too much, which is why Brett overtakes BC as the definitive Holmes.

That said, I do find BC's detective funnier and more interesting.

• Like 1

Just watched The Resident Patient last night.  I thought that episode was very good!  It had an awesome deduction scene, it was creepy, it was funny and had funny closing credits lol.  And the way Jeremy Brett runs down the stairs at the doctor's house just like such a boss.  Random and shallow I know.  But swoon.   Oh yeah, and he knows cigar ash!!!  ha

• Like 2

I've just watched The Norwood Builder, which I really enjoyed a lot,  I hadn't read that story so I had no idea about how it would go.  The Resident Patient is coming up next, so it would seem I am in for another treat.  

This box set is going at the top of my Christmas wish list,  I just love this series. 

Somebody noted somewhere else that Jeremy Brett played Freddy Eynsford-Hill in "My Fair Lady." Guess what's on TCM right now? He was in the first scene, he's adorable....

Anyway, I'm watching and I had forgotten how much 'Enry 'Iggins and Col. Pickering resemble Holmes and Watson. It's hysterical. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was intentional, does anyone else remember that? (We had to study this and Pygmalion up, down and sideways in high school, you'd think I'd remember a little more about it......)

• Like 3

And I must say, it sure sums up the Holmesian attitude towards women awfully well..... :)

Anyway, I'm watching and I had forgotten how much 'Enry 'Iggins and Col. Pickering resemble Holmes and Watson.

Now that you mention it, they do! They totally do! Never thought about that before, but of course...

• Like 1