Benedict Cumberbatch in Cabin Pressure

aely

The radio sitcom about a rather small airline (an air 'dot' as they only have 1 plane) is being repeated on Radio 4 from the beginning. I don't know if iplayer for radio can be accessed outside of the UK, but if you haven't heard Cabin Pressure, it's definitely worth it.

Cabin Pressure

and for a silly little taster...

• Like 1

If you can't access iplayer, Ariane DeVere comes to the rescue with her Cabin Pressure transcripts!

And in any case, do check out that video above -- sound track from Cabin Pressure coordinated with video clips from Sherlock -- an absolute hoot!

• Like 1

I think you can catch some clips on Youtube, but yeah. It's a very small airport run by a woman. She is played by the same actress who plays Doc. Martin's aunt.

BC plays Martin who is a pilot. One of two or three.

With Cabin Pressure being a radio sitcom, you don't exactly see it. The BBC site has this to say about it:

Cabin Pressure is a sitcom about the wing and a prayer world of a tiny, one plane, charter airline; staffed by two pilots: one on his way down, and one who was never up to start with. Whether they’re flying squaddies to Hamburg, metal sheets to Mozambique, or an oil exec’s cat to Abu Dhabi, no job is too small, but many, many jobs are too difficult.

• Haha 1

Very true that it is a radio program, I have listening to the clips on Youtube and they are roll in the isle funny. Worth it even if there are no video clips.

I found a vid someone made during recording...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

From Sherlockology:

tumblr_inline_n1hy7porg71qjn7nd.jpg

After a journey of five years, Cabin Pressure  is now ready to make its final departure, following the recording of the last ever episode on Sunday February 23 2014 at RADA Studios in London.  The beloved BBC Radio 4 comedy written by John Finnemore stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Roger Allam, Stephanie Cole and Finnemore, alongside a host of guest stars, many of who recur in the final episode.

In this final installment, we pick up immediately after we left the crew of MJN Air at a critical moment that would decide the future of both the one-aircraft airline and its Captain, Martin Crieff (Cumberbatch). What occurs thereafter will of course not be described here, but over the extended 45 minute runtime of this episode Finnemore spins a comedy writing masterclass that not only pushes the entire cast of characters forward but fondly looks back to the past, pulling some interesting threads from the entire lifetime of the series together into a hugely satisfying whole.

And sitting there in the audience at RADA studios, you once again got the sense of the huge fondness the cast and crew hold each other in. The camaraderie between all those performing never wavered, whether they were regulars, returning guests, or a new arrival. As a result there were, of course, a couple of moments of sputtering laughter from those at the microphone necessitating an immediate retake, but these are all part of the fun of seeing recording take place ahead of any editing into the final product.

But of course, the recording itself was infused with a palpable sense of the bittersweet, and by the conclusion of the retakes at the end of the evening you could sense a small tinge of incredulity among some on stage that this was the final time they would play these characters. All told though, Cabin Pressure ends brilliantly, on its own terms and in perfect style with a hilarious, warm and fitting finale that this well loved series deserves in every possible way.

No broadcast date for the final episode of Cabin Pressure has been announced by BBC Radio 4 as yet, but a potential date of December 24 2014 was mooted at the recording. Stay tuned to our social media accounts for further updates.

• Like 3

• 7 years later...

I was just looking for a thread about this radio sitcom. Good to hear it's worth it. I ordered the discs yesterday, so I'll give it a whirl soon.

• 2 weeks later...

IF different from the alphabetical listing, does anyone have a list of the episodes in their original air date order?

I'd much rather listen to them in this order vs. alphabetical,  if there's a difference. (I think I read somewhere that the orig air date was not alpha)

Thanks in advance...

According to Cabin Pressure's Wikipedia page:

In Series 2 and 3 episodes were broadcast out of the original intended order for various reasons.  [.... However] Finnemore has stated that the series was always meant to be heard alphabetically.

So ... not s problem!