Molly's gift for Sherlock

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so hopefully I'm in the right place :D

What are your thoughts on what Molly's present for Sherlock in 'A Scandal in Belgravia' might have been? I would have loved to have known what it was :)

My current favourite theory is that it was a pipe :D:sherlock:  Or maybe another skull... though the box isn't really skull-shaped. Hmm...

• Like 3

No, it was rather small. It could have been a Ipod with classical or some violin music she thought he might like. Or a gift card to a good coffee shop?

It could have been a Ipod with classical or some violin music she thought he might like.

Awww, I like that idea :)

Good God, no -- at least not till, maybe, their 25th wedding anniversary.

OK, near as I recall, the box was flat and rectangular, something like 3 inches wide, 7 inches long, and an inch or so high?

• Like 1

OK, near as I recall, the box was flat and rectangular, something like 3 inches wide, 7 inches long, and an inch or so high?

I think you are recalling the mobile phone box Irene left.   Here's Sherlock with Molly's.  They were wrapped similarly:

photo.jpg

If I were Molly, I'd give him some sort of lab equipment or a field test kit for various substances.  Possibly a good digital camera. 

• Like 3

Yay, Julia Mae -- I was hoping you'd come up with a screen cap!  Nope, that's the box I was thinking of, picturing it in the top of Molly's tote bag -- but clearly not remembering it very accurately!

I like your field test kit idea -- that's something Molly would be sufficiently knowledgeable about to know what Sherlock would actually find useful.

• Like 2

During one of the panels, Mofftiss said it was male bikini underwear. Which I consider a BS answer. Molly wouldn't give that to Sherlock.

Louise Brealey said something similar in an interview; I think she said it was a red mankini. I'm fairly certain she was joking :D

Hahahaha; good to know I'm not the only one who ships Sherlock and Molly! :)

I like your idea too, Julia Mae; I just can't help but feel that, knowing how much Molly adores Sherlock and wants him to see that, it would be something more personal; something soppy a girlfriend might buy a boyfriend. Like a teddy bear that says 'I love you' on it or something :D

Do we think Sherlock ever actually opened it, or was he too busy with the whole Irene situation? Or, even if he wasn't too busy with that, would he have cared enough to open it anyway?

I like your idea too, Julia Mae; I just can't help but feel that, knowing how much Molly adores Sherlock and wants him to see that, it would be something more personal; something soppy a girlfriend might buy a boyfriend. Like a teddy bear that says 'I love you' on it or something :D

But she isn't a soppy girlfriend, like Lavender Brown giving Won-Won  a "My Sweetheart" necklace.  And there's nothing more personal to Sherlock than his work.  He is married to it.   She's a doctor who does autopsies.  She loves him, she is thoughtful about him.  Grown up smart woman give the man they love what the man values.  And she'd know that about him.  

One of the things I think people fail to notice about Molly is how much like Sherlock she is.  Detached from personal involvement with the cadaver or the case.  She was just fine describing the body in S1E1 as a nice guy she knew who worked there and also just fine with Sherlock beating the heck out of that body with a riding crop.  In another scene in another episode, during TGG, I think, she is all perky coming into the lab finding Sherlock has gotten his results, no concern for the victims like the kind John was showing.

That being said, I do believe Moffat is quite misogynistic enough and Gatiss weird enough to think she could give Sherlock a mankini and that's probably what they said she did, even though the actual box was surely empty.    

Do we think Sherlock ever actually opened it, or was he too busy with the whole Irene situation? Or, even if he wasn't too busy with that, would he have cared enough to open it anyway?

He's egocentric and intensely curious.  I cannot imagine him not opening the box.  At some point.

• Like 3

I think he would have gone and opened it at some point. He cared enough to not only apologize, but to give her that chaste kiss on the cheek and wish her a Merry Christmas. He's even able to look abashed and a bit guilty when he and Mycroft show up at the morgue and find her working. And yes, there is that all fired, never ending curiosity of his. How could he not open it?

• Like 3

That underwear thing was a joke Louise Brealey made in a livechat (you can read it here). Since she stated in the same livechat that Sherlock survived the fall via a bouncy castle, it's probably safe to presume she was joking about the Borat mankini as well ;).

• Thanks 1

If Sherlock hadn't apologized, Molly would have been well within her rights to snatch the present back and get a cash refund (presumably a pretty hefty one).  But he did apologize, so yeah, she presumably let him keep it.  And of course he opened it.  We may even see him using whatever it was in later episodes.  Hmm....

Yeah, I agree with you all; I think he would have opened it. I was just wondering what your thoughts were.

I like the idea of whatever it was being used in later episodes; I'm presuming Molly and Sherlock will be spending more time together considering she's the only one who knows he's alive, so maybe they'll mention it at some point.

God, words can't describe how much I'm looking forward to the next series. Roll on October!!

God, words can't describe how much I'm looking forward to the next series. Roll on October!!

Or November.  Or December.  Or ....

They were filming on North Gower today, and they usually do that right near the end of the filming for each episode -- so they're presumably just about ready to wrap on "His Last Vow" and Series 3 (though at some point, we heard "early September" as a probably wrap date).

They said no UK air date (tentative or otherwise) would be announced till after the wrap.  Of course, that doesn't mean it'll be announced immediately afterward, but hopefully it'll be announced soon.  Very soon!

Well I know it's widely thought in the UK that the air date will be October 31st, but it hasn't been confirmed. I'm really hoping it will be though! I literally can't wait any longer!

When?! When was it 31st October?! I remember reading somewhere (I think it was Sherlockology) that there was definitely no confirmed air date... I thought it was around-ish Christmas though...

I wish it aired tomorrow...late October is waay too far away...but on the other hand, 31st is my sisters birthday! So, yeah.

Let's see. They still have a few days left of filming. Then it has to go through the editing process, then cleaning up and polishing for release...so yeah.....October, November....I can see that.

Well it's listed on IMDB as being October 31st, and I've seen that date mentioned a lot elsewhere. But like I say, nothing's been confirmed by the actual people working on the show yet.

I dread to think what I'm going to be like on the day it finally airs :D If anyone DARES interrupt me whilst it's on, I shall never speak to them again.

• Like 4

Lol, same. I hope I won't be the only one (in my family) though...the rest of my family, my sister more likes the show, but I definitely wouldn't say they're sherlocked. Not the way pretty much all of us here are.

Yeah, my Dad likes it and will probably watch it with me, but I doubt he's going to squeal and jump up and down in his seat the minute Benedict appears on the screen... and if he did, I'd start to worry about him :lol:

• Like 1