They DID shoot fake scenes to throw us off!

Julia Mae

The director of S3E1 comes clean at the end:

For Carol and those who can't stream video very well, he said, "We did a few false shots, so, you know, there are all these things that people saw that have nothing to do with it, that's the way we handled it."  It's right around 1:25.

Which makes me feel good, as I have been claiming for a while to those who have based their fall theories on setlock: you can't do that.  And shouldn't, as Moffat said clearly we can figure it out from what we saw. 

We'll see.

• Like 3

Thanks for transcribing the relevant portion, Julia Mae!  (I was looking at the big blank space in the middle of your post, thinking, "oh, no, I'm interested in this -- and it's a video.")

I guess it must have been considered a fairly open secret that some of the shots were red herrings or jokes.  Of course, that still leaves open the question of just which scenes are the fakes.  As far as I've seen, they played all of them absolutely straight.  So we have to judge them based on content, which can be hard to do since we don't know the context.

I will say, though, that I will be utterly flabbergasted if they actually use the hypnotist scene.

• Like 1

I will say, though, that I will be utterly flabbergasted if they actually use the hypnotist scene.

I can imagine that most of the fandom would be.

• Like 2

Thanks for transcribing the relevant portion, Julia Mae!  (I was looking at the big blank space in the middle of your post, thinking, "oh, no, I'm interested in this -- and it's a video.")

You are more than welcome.  If I could, I'd get you better internet access. 

I guess it must have been considered a fairly open secret that some of the shots were red herrings or jokes.  Of course, that still leaves open the question of just which scenes are the fakes.  As far as I've seen, they played all of them absolutely straight.  So we have to judge them based on content, which can be hard to do since we don't know the context.

I think amongst some of us, it was obvious what they were doing.  I think I posted one here once, where Moriarty is wearing Sherlock's coat and shaking Mycroft's hand.  That's when I knew they were messing with us.  I thought it was brilliant.  But some people are very devoted to their theories, even more than I, and insist on accounting for every setlock picture.

I have to assume the hypnotist was a personal friend of someone.  Was there an actual scene or did they just get shots of him around the set?

I'll put this in a spoiler box, on the off-chance that they really did work it into the story somehow:

Sorry, I don't recall the gentleman's name, but he's apparently a well-known British mentalist, or something of that sort.  I've seen fan or media photos of him interacting with John, after he's knocked down by the bicycle.  He puts his hand on John's head, and John appears to be in some sort of trance.

If someone can link to those photos, please do -- but do include the word "spoiler"!

• Like 1

OK, I knew I'd been in a discussion of those hypnotist photos somewhere -- right here on the "Series 3 Filming News" thread.  Here's a link to that section (with a link to the photos a few posts later).  Just don't go there if you're spoiler-shy (especially if you're faintly-possible-spoiler-shy).

I'm betting that Moriarty and Mycroft walking out of the hospital is fake, because Moriarty is wearing Sherlock's coat...which makes no sense.  That and the hypnotist scene.

Alice, see this sequence of posts, and follow the link (in the spoiler box) in the fourth one.

Carol, this link doesn't seem to go to anything that pertains to the hypnotist and I never saw a spoiler box.  Could you link to the specific post?  Or repost the link ITT?

Here we go:

Just click on the little pictures on the right. Derren Brown is the bald guy in the parka.

Bonus Martin Freeman / Derren Brown scene, no spoilers here:

Thanks, Martina!  Julia Mae, my link was supposed to take you to page 6 of the "Series 3 Filming News" thread, straight to post #101 (and even the copy in your post works for me).  Where did you actually end up?  (Maybe this is one of those things that only works for mods.  *sigh* )

Martina, where the dickens is that video clip from?  (Judging by just that first frame, it's "from" a while back, but I don't offhand recognize the movie or whatever.)  Intriguing, so I'll have to watch it -- probably download it during dinner -- and maybe that'll answer my question!

Yeah, it turned out to be just one of Julia Mae's account settings.  All figured out now.  If anyone else has a similar problem, please let me know, though.

Martina, I watched the video, and (as I'm sure you know) it's from some sort of talk show or variety show, where Darren Brown is demonstrating a couple of his tricks on Martin Freeman -- nothing whatsoever to do with Sherlock, so you're absolutely right, it's not a spoiler for "The Empty Hearse."

I can't explain the pencil thing, but the one with the cell phone and the bowl strikes me as awfully similar to an old parlor trick that involves leaning far forward and then trying to lift a chair that's in front of you -- and you can't!  Here's the best link I could find.  There are also variations which typically a man cannot do, but a woman can (due to a different center of balance) -- and you'll notice who Brown chose for his subject.

Note that Brown wasn't just holding the phone against Freeman's neck, he appeared to be actually pressing it against his neck, i.e., pushing him further forward, or at least keeping him from straightening up, so I think that's the key.  Once he took the phone away, Freeman was able to stand a bit straighter, and then he could lift the bowl.  I suspect it's simple bodily mechanics.

Well, Derren Brown's pretty open about the fact that all he does is use a vast array of sometimes fairly simple tricks on his guests/victims :lol:. I must admit I don't know much about his show, though, it's British and I only watched a bit of it on YouTube. Maybe our British friends can tell you more.

• 1 year later...

That's where this photo came from (and your second shot is basically a reverse angle of it):

tumblr_mvrk3g4Q7M1qkgkowo1_500.jpg

According to Sherlockology, that was just the first publicity shot for Series 3 (released in early November of 2013) -- but judging by some of those shots you linked to, either there was a good bit of trying various poses or else they did shoot a scene that was never used.

I've never liked the promotional pictures for series 3. I think they give a wrong impression as to what the show is about. And I'd also preferred it if they had used a pic from a scene that actually happened, or at least something related to the plot. But if this was originally a scene, that makes more sense of course. Hm, I wonder what it could have been...

Maybe we could petition Moftiss to include the deleted scene in some flashback during S4.

• Like 2

I have a (totally unfounded) impression that this might be an alternative "reunion" scene.

It would be a dream come true if they made a real documentary, with deleted scenes, bloopers, background infos and... and... and...

But I think maybe they don't want to relese the material because it might be related to  (or influence) what they plan for S4 and S5.

• Like 4

And also because they apparently recycle some of their deleted ideas into other stories. Waste not, want not! :)

• Like 2