Una Stubbs News

Carol the Dabbler

Sherlockology has posted an advertisement from 1985 with Una Stubbs apparently playing a Hudson-ish character.  I'd love to see it, but the internet isn't even letting me get the address of the ad itself.  Could someone please follow that link and see if they can post the video or whatever it actually is?  Thanks!

Here you go:

Just an old add for a Toshiba microwave, though, I don't really see the Mrs Hudson link.

Cute commercial, though, nicely acted.  Thanks!

I keep thinking I'd like to get a DVD of Till Death Us Do Part (1966-75, the British sitcom that the American show All in the Family was based on), where Una Stubbs played the daughter.

• 1 year later...

Here's a brief interview with Una Stubbs, wherein she talks about her affection for "the boys."  The interview also mentions the lengths that Hartswood goes to in order to keep the plots a secret, ending with this gut-wrenching quote from Ms. Stubbs:

I’ve had to give a whole pile of scripts in to be shredded!

Hey, I'll take 'em!  (And I'm even willing to wait till after the shows have been aired.)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Dear sfmpco, saw the link and then read the little bit about Ms Stubbs never having watched a single Sherlock episode! That is jaw-dropping untrue, because she is in on the audio commentary of both TEH and HLV in the Special Edition. Who is kidding whom and for what reason?

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Moved here from another thread

I've seen other articles where Ms. Stubbs says similar things, but as you point out, she's obviously watched at least a couple of Sherlock episodes.  I doubt very much that anyone's "kidding" anyone about this, though.  It's more likely that she's been badly paraphrased and/or quoted out of context.

Unlike the prior interview, which said "never" but did not claim to actually quote her, this one apparently has her own words on the matter:

"... she said she wasn’t looking forward to watching her episode back: “I didn’t want to look. I’m not good at watching myself on screen anyway, because you never know if you’ve pulled it off....”

... which sounds like she will watch herself, but not happily -- perhaps only if there's a good reason to do so.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just saw the newest episode (in the U.S.) of Call the Midwife last night, with Una Stubbs as one of the patients!  

Una was brilliant in it, of course, but it really made me realize how high quality the Sherlock scripts are.  Call the Midwife is a very well-produced and well-thought-out show, but I thought the part that Una played was not scripted to take advantage of her natural talents, pretty much relegating her to tutting about worriedly.  I wanted to go shake them and remind them that Una could handle much more nuanced and difficult material than that, and that there was so much more they could have done with this character, not with additional lines but with additional acting latitude to let Una really strut her stuff.

But hey, she knocked it out of the park with the material she was given!  

Not brilliant, but she is dancing...

Annnnd THIS is the music my father refused to let us listen to? :D

Sorry, I'm not seeing anything there.  A regular link sometimes works better.

Added in December:  But on the other hand, it's working fine for me today!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh my goodness! I was re-watching The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, in particular The Woman in the Big Hat by Baroness Orczy, and Katie Harris is played by everybody's favourite not-housekeeper in all her youth and glory! But, I recognised her from a certain way she has of forming her words, so perhaps some mannerisms (Penguin-wings and Turtle-mouth ^_^ ) are innate to the actor!

• Like 2