Adding pics in posts.

knipplan

I'm not that good with computer stuff and therefore need some help. I tried to add a pic in one of my posts and adjusted the pic to the standard size. The problem is that the pic became ridiculously small and I therefore didn't bother to post it at all. As i've seen other members posting larger pics there has to be some way to get around it. How? Please help!

I assume that you Attached that photo, using the tool on the Edit page.  That's certainly one way to do it, and people who read your post can click on the thumbnail to enlarge it.

The photos that show up larger are "hot linked," either from the member's Photobucket (etc.) page or from another web site.  I use that method when reposting photos from Sherlockology or from commercial sites such as Amazon.  That's done this way:

url.of.photo

... or you can get the same code by using the Image icon (the little photo) in the middle of the bottom row of the edit toolbar.

That was in kind of a nutshell, so if you would like anything clarified, please just ask.

• 1 year later...

There is a limit to the pictures (total amount of data) one can upload. Is this limit for a certain time period?

I think it's just a set limit, but admins/mods feel free to correct me on that.  What I do, to avoid the limit, is just link to images already on the internet. 

There is a limit to the pictures (total amount of data) one can upload. Is this limit for a certain time period?

Sittything's right, there's only so many KB per person you can upload directly to the forum. If you want to post more, you have to use the method described by Carol, above. For example, I put all my photos on Imgur, and link to them as she described.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hello! So, I have noticed that some users were able to figure out how to add Gifs and pictures to their posts/replies etc. and tried it myself; however whenever I try to link or add an image, the dialog box freezes on my screen. ... After typing the first few sentences I noticed that "attatch files" button. Is that how it's done?

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Merged with existing thread

That's one possibility, but if the file is too large, it might not work.

If you want to link to an image and have it embedded in your post, look at the little symbols on the top of your reply box. To the left underneath the smiley is a little square that vaguely resembles a framed picture of a tree.

Found it?

Okay, now copy the URL of the image you want. Click on the image button and a little box will pop up that says "Image Properties". Paste your URL in there and click OK.

The image should then appear in your post.

• Like 1

Did you use the image link where it asks for a URL?  Or did you try to attach an image?  The URL link Toby is referring to is on the 2nd line, kinda underneath the smiley and letter A (for text color).

Your other option is using this code (this is what I do):  URLgoeshere[*/img] 

Just remove the asterisk from the code above.  I had to put the asterisk there so you could see it, otherwise it would have thought I was trying to post a photo.

Greencat, I've merged your thread with an existing one on the same topic.  The first six posts should give you the basics on two different methods of posting pictures.  Once you've read about (and possibly tried) either or both of those methods, please feel free to post any additional questions you may have.

• 3 years later...

Technical difficulties!  I'm having an issue with inserting pictures all of a sudden.  When I do (insert image from URL), it shrinks and comes out tiny in the post.  Does anyone know why this is happening?  Is it just me?

tumblr_inline_p8glz7ES6w1qcoaqg_500.jpg

Weird. Let me try:

3spowtb.jpg

Yeah, that one's shrunk too. I'll let Tim know, thanks for pointing it out!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, but we're still on it. Sorry for the delay.

AbZlP4c.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update (sort of), Tim is aware of the problem, still trying to resolve it. :comp:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Any new info on this yet?  It appears to be fixed for some people, but it’s still affecting me.  :bemused: 

I'm just gonna quote this here for future reference, in case other people need to see it.

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Sometimes ago Caya had found the solution and posted about it, that if you just put the code directly it would appear as thumbnail or small image, but if you put our old bbc code by adding [ i m g] in front of the picture link code and close it with [ / I m g ] it would appear big. *remove space for codes*

• Thanks 2