Thanks, Boton.  So while Moftiss may have borrowed a bit of their Mary from that character, she's certainly no carbon copy.

Definitely not.  But I do think one similarity (other than the similarity they both have to Sherlock/House respectively) is that they break out of the canon Mary Morstan role and have a past and present of their own rather than just being someone in the background.  

• Like 1

Good point.  The only other halfway interesting Mary Morstan that I've seen on screen so far is in the Jeremy Brett adaptation of "Sign of the Four" -- she provides a fair amount of input into Holmes's solution of a case, even though she is of course the client.  The Mary Morstan of the Robert Downey, Jr., movies is, as you say, just the obligatory Mary in the background.  Actually, I can't offhand think of any other Marys that I've seen, but I have the impression that I haven't missed much.

Good point.  The only other halfway interesting Mary Morstan that I've seen on screen so far is in the Jeremy Brett adaptation of "Sign of the Four" -- she provides a fair amount of input into Holmes's solution of a case, even though she is of course the client.  The Mary Morstan of the Robert Downey, Jr., movies is, as you say, just the obligatory Mary in the background.  Actually, I can't offhand think of any other Marys that I've seen, but I have the impression that I haven't missed much.

I was musing this weekend while I was making dinner about which version (that I've so far seen) held my favorite of each of the characters, and then of certain seminal scenes (like shooting the wall).  The Sherlock Mary and Amber Volakis are the only Mary's that I even have an impression of, let alone liking them.  

I think modernizing the Mary character (or creating a Victorian version that plays well with a modern audience) is really tough.  You almost have to give her more to do than the true Victorian version would dictate (where she would be pretty much invisible), but then you have the problem of how to keep her out of the primary Holmes-Watson relationship.  So, unfortunately, it looks like the easiest thing to do with a modern Mary is introduce her, give her a strong personality, and then kill her off.  We'll see what Moftiss does.

I'm hoping they don't go for the easy way out -- and they generally don't.

I'm hoping they don't go for the easy way out -- and they generally don't.

I'm sure they have something creative in mind; it just worries me that I can't solve the problem to my own satisfaction yet, so I'm not sure how they will.  But I'm sure they will do.

But I'm sure they will do.

There you go with your Hoosier British again!  ;)

• Like 2

But I'm sure they will do.

There you go with your Hoosier British again!  ;)

Yep!

This is really interesting,  I've only ever seen one episode of House, which I watched because of my love for Hugh Laurie,  I love Fry and Laurie, it was the funniest show, but anyway I'm not really into hospital drama and sadly not even my love for Hugh could get me to watch another episode.  But I had no idea that it had such a relationship with Sherlock Holmes.

• Like 1

This is really interesting,  I've only ever seen one episode of House, which I watched because of my love for Hugh Laurie,  I love Fry and Laurie, it was the funniest show, but anyway I'm not really into hospital drama and sadly not even my love for Hugh could get me to watch another episode.  But I had no idea that it had such a relationship with Sherlock Holmes.

It's worth watching the Amber arc, and then there are a few others in the eighth season, after Wilson is diagnosed with cancer, that are simply beautiful examples of he relationship between the two men.

That was one of his things. Sitting with his feet up on his desk bouncing a ball against the wall while he thought.

Oh, I didn't know that. I was watching House now and then, and actually loved the character, but watching hospitals and things that might happen to poor people, was a bit not good for my inner hypochondriac.

And today I stumbled upon THIS. :blink:

Have anyone of you seen that episode of House?

• Like 2

I can't believe that so many people didn't know about house and holmes. XDD If I hadn't known, the random name "House" would've driven me crazy. It's no great mystery, all great stories take on this format. Best of all, Batman!!

Oh yes, I've seen that episode! Ok, everybody needs to watch House now. I've decided.

So, the pool cannonball scene, when you watch it, doesn't appear to have the same vibe as the great game at all XD its sort of one of House's fun, ridiculous stunts (he's always this crazy,,, and he's actually high I think), while Sherlock's scene is more emotional and suicidal and beautiful.. but also stunt in the end lol

But there are so many connections between these 2 shows, i don't even..

the last episode. Seriously. Just watch that, even if it ruins the entire series for you.

The main difference I'd like to point out is that House has... 8 seasons... or something... maybe Moftiss could jump on that band wagon too.

Stupid system ate my post.  Trying again.

Yes, I saw that episode, and I noticed the parallel when I watched Sherlock.  While it didn't jump out at me (sorry...) when I watched TRF, it was really obvious when I watched HLV.

That episode with the jump is at the end of an arc when House's personal life is falling apart, and he heads to a hotel and goes back on the meds (after a fairly long dry spell) and hires a bunch of ladies of the evening. The parallels aren't absolute, but the first time I saw HLV, I immediately thought "Jeez, does every Holmes have to deal with abandonment issues with casual intimacy and substance abuse?"

Edited:

The system didn't like the fact that I was using the terms "s e x" and "d r u g s," so I had to modify the spoiler post above to get it to take the quote.  So that's why that particular comment from me reads like my maiden great aunt wrote it.

• Like 1

I suppose he should have been named Houses instead of House ;)

A couple of things used to annoy me about House, one of the biggest was the fact that he would often explain quite simple principals to other doctors. Now this worked with Holmes because while Holmes found them simple the art of deduction was still in its infancy so there was a need to explain. With House he is explaining medical concepts to people who would have known this stuff back to front already but of course you need to explain it to the viewers. 

Now you have a series called 'Backstrom' about a brilliant detective who can't seem to get along with people now doesn't that sound familiar.

• Like 1

I rewatched "Three Stories" last night, and that remains a particularly fine piece of television, and, for my money, perhaps the best House episode ever.

I like the way you can see the Holmesian DNA in the whole thing.  House is delivering a guest lecture to a group of med students about diagnostics (and, in the process, sort of explaining his own methods), when you realize that he's also telling the story of how he acquired his limp and constant pain, and how Stacy is directly responsible for what happened.

It's a really interesting twist on Irene Adler as the woman who beat Sherlock Holmes.  Only here, instead of Irene being coolly triumphant (like she seems in ACD canon) or nefarious but magnetic (Sherlock) or downright evil (Elementary), this Irene (Stacy) "beats" House out of love and to save his life.  And then he still has to deal with eventually confronting her being married to someone other than him.  Very fine work done maintaining the structural integrity of the canon while thoroughly modernizing and moving it into a different world.

• Like 1

Wanted to hop back in here and say, for those of you who've wanted to try House because of it's Holmesian connections but who are a little intimidated by the 201 episodes, "Three Stories" is a good one to watch.  Like most Irene Adler stories in most of the Holmes incarnations, it pretty much stands alone.  Literally all you need to know is that House is the crabby doc played by Hugh Laurie who walks with a cane and has a reputation for diagnosing "zebras."  ("Zebras" are seldom-seen diseases, named for the saying often told to med students: "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras." In other words, think of what's most likely.)

This episode is the season one finale, and House is streaming on Netflix.  Expect to be a bit confused by the structure the first time out, since Carmen Electra at various points plays all three patients.  But really, the structure isn't any more complex than playing "who's got the camera phone?"   :)

Didn't know his address is same with Sherlock.

I like House, but stopped abrupty around middle season because off difficulty getting more episode back then. Unlike sherlock, stopping half way didn't brother me as I didn't get too attached to any other show.

But it's cool to know. I guess I'm fond of 'not really normal' characters.

• Like 1

But it's cool to know. I guess I'm fond of 'not really normal' characters.

I apparently have a thing for shows about tortured geniuses!

• Like 1

I've been rewatching favorite episodes of House recently, and I knew you guys would appreciate this.

Last night, I rewatched "House's Head."  Without giving away the plot, there's a scene in which House is taking copious amount of medication to jog his synaptic performance and therefore his memory to help him solve a case.

He flatlines.  They have to resuscitate him.

When his heart stops again and he comes to, his first word is "Amber."  (Wilson's girlfriend.)

No one knows what that could possibly mean, including Wilson, who is standing worriedly over him and is much relieved that he is going to be OK.

Naturally, Amber is the solution to the mystery.

Just seemed an awful lot like HLV.

• Like 1

Not to mention, I forgot that a substantial portion of "House's Head" and the next episode, "Wilson's Heart," involve House trying to probe his own memory to solve a medical mystery.  Kind of visiting his mind palace, if you like.  (Or, in House's case, his mind pub.)

• Like 1

We were just talking over in the Sherlock: TSoT thread about the Holmsian sense of betrayal when abandoned by Watson.  I think there is a very clear parallel between TSoT and the House episode, "Wilson."

Obviously, in TSoT, Sherlock spends the entire episode being the best "best man" and the best "best friend" that any Watson in history has ever had.  It's played to pretty decent comic effect through the whole episode - threatening David, folding serviettes, giving an epic best man speech - so that Moftiss can deliver the gut punch at the end of the episode, as Sherlock walks out of the reception alone, having watched John start a new life that doesn't include him in the same primary position that he once held.  

I think there's a very clear parallel here with the episode "Wilson," except the House episode does the trajectory in reverse.  When Wilson decides to donate part of his liver to that idiot Tucker, he goes to House and asks House to be with him during the surgery.  House, who has disapproved the entire time, refuses to support Wilson, ultimately breaking down and blurting out the truth:  "If you die, I'm alone."  In one of those wonderful Holmesian child-like bursts of emotion, House has just admitted that he's scared of being abandoned, and he can't watch; maybe it won't happen if he just refuses to watch it happen.

But, in a great piece of character development, our next scene is of Wilson being prepped for surgery and beginning the induction of anesthesia, and he looks up into the observation gallery to see House, grim and leaning on his cane, but there.  And House continues to be there for the entire rest of the episode, being not just in the waiting room but in the actual recovery room when Wilson is wheeled out, making Wilson laugh in his hospital room until his incision hurts, and sitting watch by Wilson's bed while he sleeps.  House has become the best "best friend" any hospital patient has ever had.  And Wilson ultimately rewards him by buying the condo that will at once serve as a way to get back at Cuddy and a way for House and Wilson to continue to live together without one of them sleeping on the couch every night.  

It's a real turning point in the relationship, as House and Wilson commit to one another as permanent parts of one another's life.  I kind of think this gives us some information about what to expect from the Sherlock/John relationship, but I guess we'll see!

• Like 3

Without giving away the plot, ....

Thanks!  I can't resist reading the comments on this thread, but I haven't seen the show yet -- and may want to, someday.

• Like 1

This makes me want to rewatch House and see how many parallels and connections I can find.

• Like 2

This makes me want to rewatch House and see how many parallels and connections I can find.

Ditto,

and Boton, you remind me of how this was my favourite show back then. I should get my ass up and find what I left behind, I think I only watched up to Season 3 because lack of resources but never get my interest back until maybe now.

Another parallel that might be connected, there is one particular thing that really stuck in my mind about House. I can't recall the name of his team (the only team that I know is his original three), the lady in the team had massive crush with House and finally, he agreed to go on date with her, worst date ever, because he accurately point out that she doesn't really like him, but she likes damaged people because she wants to try to fix it, something connected with the guilt from her past.

Which makes me think about Molly.. and her 'type'..

• Like 1