Benedict Cumberbatch in Frankenstein - *not* UK only

aely

National Theatre Live are doing encore screenings of Frankenstein this month and in November. If you've not had an opportunity to see Benedict and Jonny Lee Miller in this, either as The Creature or as Victor Frankenstein, then here's your chance to catch what is an amazing production. It's worth seeing both versions if you can, as both actors bring something different to each role, though personally Jonny is my favourite as The Creature and Benedict as Victor.

For more info, such as where screenings are taking place, go to the relevant NTive page here.

• Like 1

And it's not just being shown in the UK.  Click on the link Aely gave, scroll down about one screen's worth, and look on the right side of the page for a little box where you can type in your location.  It'll tell you the closest theaters.

There aren't a lot of theaters listed around here (none at all in Indiana, but one near Chicago, etc.) -- however they do say "More venues announced shortly."

In Hungary the dates are 12th and 19th December. I've already ordered and bought my tickets in August when they announced the screening dates. And I can't wait to see BC and JLM in this show. :)

(I've just checked the website, the tickets are almost sold out although it's still 2 months to go...)

Ah, I didn't check, but that's good to know. With it being National theatre live, I thought it was UK only. Brain dead again. :skull:

Back to my cave I go.

• 4 weeks later...

And a reminder from Sherlockology:

tumblr_inline_mocji49irh1qz4rgp.jpg

Sherlockology: Sherlock cast to feature in upcoming NT Live broadcasts:

Don’t forget - today [October 31st] is the day for the first encore screening this year for Frankenstein, starring Benedict Cumberbatch. Beginning to play in cinemas worldwide, the full details are in our original post linked above and below.

sherlockology

• 1 month later...

I've seen it last Thursday and it was absolutely stunning. Both actors are perfect. If you have the opportunity, please watch it!

Sherlockology review: http://sherlockology.tumblr.com/post/25725813614/frankenstein-review

• 4 weeks later...

OH MY GOODNESS!!  I'm so glad I scanned around on these various topics!  This is going to be playing about an hour away from me THIS Sunday!  For $15!!  I had to quintuple check it to make sure it was correct (I mean, why is Benedict Cumberbatch playing in a performance for $15/ticket??).  I wonder if there will be any possibility - at all - for pictures afterward... :D

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is a screening - meaning, a recording of the performance.

Oh, it's more than well done, Carol - it is outstandingly superb!!  The version I saw was with Benedict as the Dr. - he was amazing, as usual!  But, I'll confess, I didn't know the story, other than the basic - Dr. Frankenstein creates a "monster."

It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen - from a philosophical and worldview standpoint, I mean.  In today's world, I find thinking to be shallow at best, and most of the time, just sad.  This was wall to wall solid meat and was made so much more powerful because of the incredible performances.  Anyone who has the opportunity to see it - it's a must!

• Like 1

So far, they have resisted all pleas to make it in a DVD, because the actors will not sign the release. I read somewhere that it was Jonny Lee Miller who is refusing.

My daughter and I went to both screenings, i.e. seeing Benedict as both Dr Frankenstein and the Creature. Both were amazing and so, so sad. Benedict as the Creature was just heartbreaking. Made us both feel like crying.

• Like 1

So far, they have resisted all pleas to make it in a DVD, because the actors will not sign the release. I read somewhere that it was Jonny Lee Miller who is refusing.

My daughter and I went to both screenings, i.e. seeing Benedict as both Dr Frankenstein and the Creature. Both were amazing and so, so sad. Benedict as the Creature was just heartbreaking. Made us both feel like crying.

Hmm. Wonder why he won't sign a release? The creature isn't nude in the theater (not stage play) version right?

Sadly, no.... If I knew how to use emoticons, I would have put a winking face here....

I believe he wants to keep the experience unique, I.e. a one-off. Which is a bit hard on people who did not get the chance to see it onstage, I.e. most of us, or during its limited showing at the cinema.

I hope he changes his mind. Though I have to say that Benedict's performance was the more outstanding, in both roles.

If I knew how to use emoticons, I would have put a winking face here....

Just click on the little smiley face in the top row of the editor toolbar.  You will get a row of various emoticons below the edit box.  Click on the one you want, and it will be inserted wherever the cursor is positioned.

If you don't see the emoticon that you want, click on the right-arrow at the end of the row, and you will see another assortment -- and so on.

Frankenstein is one of my favourite novels ever and I love both BC and JLM but somehow this went completely under my radar (wish I'd joined this forum earlier :( ) I didn't know about it until after they'd screened it twice so I emailed NTLive about their plans for DVD release.

They said "I very much appreciate your desire to see Frankenstein released on DVD. Unfortunately there are no immediate plans to release DVDs due to our rights agreements our artists and our current focus on building the live, communal experience in cinemas. We have however received great interest in DVD versions of many of our National Theatre Live productions and will continue to evaluate these opportunities in the future."

So, not a definite "no" ..... Really hope they decide to do it. If for no other reason, they'd make a ton of money. I'm a teacher of English too so the opportunity for teaching would be immense!

I also asked about whether they had any plans to screen it again to which they said they had no "immediate plans" to do so but recommended I subscribed to the website to stay up to date (which I have) so fingers crossed....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I went to see both versions of this at the local movie theatre when it was shown,  I am very sad that I cannot buy a DVD as it was really enjoyable and I would love the opportunity to see it again.  I actually liked Ben as Frankenstein and Miller as The Monster,  I think it worked best.

• 2 months later...

Someone posted a link to this on Tumblr (thank you whomever you are) and I thought I would share, it's a link to the Frankenstein Programme that would have been sold during it's run, I would love to get a proper copy, but I never see any for sale that I can purchase.

http://d1wf8hd6ovssje.cloudfront.net/documents/NT-Frankenstein-broadcast_0.pdf

• Like 1