Cumberbatch on talk shows, October 2013

Earendil

The Sherlock and Fifth Estate actor will take to the sofa on Friday 11 October alongside Harrison Ford, Jack Whitehall and James Blunt

Source

BBC One 11 October 22:35 BST 

If you are not from UK, but want to watch the show live, try one of these livestream channels: 

One

Two (registration needed)

Three 

;)

• Like 3

Cumberbatch was just on Norton's show in May -- popular fellow!

Hmm, wonder if Harrison Ford is there to talk about the upcoming Star Wars sequel trilogy?

The Graham Norton Show never is intended for kids though, is it? :wacko:

Yay; maybe he'll reveal a bit more about series 3! :)

The Graham Norton Show never is intended for kids though, is it?

Judging by what I've heard Martin Freeman say on that show -- no.

Yay; maybe he'll reveal a bit more about series 3! :)

Maybe just a teeny bit. But he's had his wrist slapped often enough by now that I seriously doubt he'll say anything truly revealing.

Yeah, I actually quite like the show, and it's definitely not for kids :D

And I didn't think Benedict would say anything too revealing either, but just the teeniest, tiniest bit of info would be amazing; I'm going crazy with the waiting!! :(

Oh, maybe I should just collect the info and not watch it then...

I think I'm actually dead because I don't care about when s3 comes out anymore. This is an interesting heaven/hell/wherever you go to when you die...

Don't worry, anything he does happen to say on the show will be all over the internet five minutes later.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I was just reading the TV magazine to see what it says about the Graham Norton Show and Benedict isn't even mentioned on there as a guest. Obviously I know he is one; I've seen the trailer for the show and he was on it. But he's not listed in the magazine, and all the other guests are, which is unusual. So maybe that means he was a last-minute addition, and maybe that in turn means that there's some big news about Sherlock coming that he's allowed to reveal? I'm probably hoping too much, but you never know :D

If your tv mags are like ours, they have a huge lead time, so I'd guess you're right, he was something of a last-minute addition.  Does the magazine by any chance list a guest who is not in the trailer?  If so, he could be simply a substitute.  But if not, yeah -- who knows?

Well, you'll find out in just a few more hours -- please do let us know!

No, all the other guests are in the trailer, so like I say, it's a bit odd.

Hahaha; don't worry; I'll probably be giving you a running commentary on it!

Hahaha; he was late because he was filming and had to hitch a lift on a motorbike, and the driver of the bike took ages to get there :D Harrison Ford told Benedict he was a huge fan of his, which was really sweet...

... but unfortunately, no news of the Sherlock variety whatsoever :( It felt very much like he was playing second fiddle to Harrison all night, which was fair enough, but I was really hoping they'd at least mention series 3, even if they didn't reveal anything. But nothing at all; it's so frustrating!! The only slight mention of it was Jack Whitehall begging Benedict to tell him how Sherlock faked his death, and then Graham very quickly said they were out of time and they had to end the show... grrrr! :(

You can watch/download the show here if you missed it yesterday (Jimmy Fallon can be found here).

Apparently, he also did an Ask Me Anything on reddit yesterday. Collected q&a can be found here ( :marmite: ?!).

• Like 2

Yeah, I think he was supposed to be there to talk about Star Wars, and they did talk about it a bit, but mostly it was just an hour of everyone gushing over the fact that he's Harrison Ford (I don't get the fuss about him to be honest).

I think Ford is terrific, loved him in the first Indiana Jones movie (before the writers took away the professor / adventurer dichotomy), thought he was marvelous in Witness and hilarious in The Frisco Kid.  Before that, I thought he was a pretty wooden actor, but then realized that I'd only seen him play Han Solo, who is after all a pretty wooden character (and Ford does that very well, too).

But yeah, the gushy bit I can do without.  I think Cumberbatch gets more than enough of that as well.

From Sherlockology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbN3Pya_AM&feature=player_embedded

Through the magic of prior recording and the wonder of air travel, Benedict Cumberbatch last night appeared on the Graham Norton show in the UK, and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon in the USA within mere hours.

Here’s a clip of Benedict engaging in a ‘Rickman off’ with Fallon.

Apparently, he also did an Ask Me Anything on reddit yesterday. Collected q&a can be found here ( :marmite: ?!).

Finally found the transcript!  And this related photo, from Sherlockology (where you'll also find their favorite bits of the Q&A written up neatly):

tumblr_inline_muk45q0Pun1qjn7nd.jpg

Well maybe I'm judging him too harshly; I mean, I have only seen him in Star Wars and one Indiana Jones movie, and I didn't like either of those franchises to be honest. I may have only seen one Indiana Jones movie, but I've seen most of the Star Wars ones and I just don't get why people go mad for it.

Yeah, Benedict had his fair share of gushy praise too, which I don't mind too much because I do think he highly deserves it; he's an awesome actor. But there's a limit, and I think they were fast approaching it the other night :(

Right, gushing at someone puts them in an embarrassing position.  There are only so many times that they can simply say "thank you," and anything else is going to make them sound either egotistical or self-incriminating.  Far better (and more interesting) to have a meaningful discussion.

Which Indiana Jones movie was it that you saw?

Exactly; Benedict kept saying thank you, but you could tell he was feeling a bit embarrassed.

I don't know; it was so long ago that I saw it! I think it was probably the first one.