aSnowyEvening

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century

No, that was not a typo. Yes, the 22nd Century. Our newest version is not the only rendition of Sherlock Holmes to take place in the future.

So, there was this cartoon I liked to watch in the Saturday morning line-up in my 90's childhood. I don't remember much of the show other than it had some really awesome 3D graphics at the time that made the show come to life, Moriarty looked like some weird sophisticated Wolverine, Watson was brought back as a cyborg that needed to drop a few pounds, and... well, here's the first episode, for your enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxmoOUsZzOs

Anyone else used to watch it? Opinions on what little there is to judge from the first episode? Would Sherlock really not think twice about waking up in the 22nd century? Is honey really that good of a preservative? How much cheese can you pack into a good ole 90's cartoon? Discussion or something?

• Like 1

I'll see your version and raise you a century. Bravestarr (Eyes of the hawk, ears of the wolf....strength of the bear, speed of the puma!)

This is one actually worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_1P9pvDLZI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_1P9pvDLZI

There rest of the episodes are below.

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Final part

It's got everything from He-Man type artworks to My Little Pony on Steroids (Although I don't think Thirty-Thirty was in this story)

-m0r

Edited by m0r1arty

My God. I've only watched the first 2 parts, but that was amazing. Complete with the sound effects from other brilliant 80's cartoons such as Rainbow Brite. And holy crow is Moriarty ever ugly in that one! I love it. (LOL at Mycroft though)

And, Ok, I am horribly ignorant of the canon and need to ask- was Watson always in need of a little exercise?

It rings a bell... I have vague memories of too many shows from the 80's...

I remember Bravestarr, but not the Sherlock story. :o

Oh gods this is weird...

And, Ok, I am horribly ignorant of the canon and need to ask- was Watson always in need of a little exercise?

The actor Nigel Bruce (Across from Basil Rathbone's Holmes) was seen as the 'definitive' Watson for a great many years and many who came after him were modelled on him. I think the idea of a slightly 'tubby' Watson were derived from his very respected time in the shoes.

And as for those who remember - well done! And for those who don't...it's alright, it was on Astrid a lot and you were probably outside playing.

-m0r

Pudgy!Watson is an invention of Hollywood. Doyle describes Watson when he first appears as "as thin as a lath and as brown as a nut" and later--on the few occasions when he is described--as a well built, muscular sort of guy. He was an athlete in university and played rugby for Blackheath. Though Watson stated he wasn't in the same peak condition he was in when he was a pro athlete, he was still in good enough shape to chase around after Holmes, scaling walls and chasing bad guys. All the Paget drawings show a tall, nicely built man. David Burke in the Granada series probably came really close to the Doyle description. Jude Law is also close, but is a too light on the muscles.

• Like 2

Ah, very cool! Thanks for the explanation!

I'm watching the first video and when Moriarty rips off his face disguise its priceless. XD

Mmmhmmm...still sceptical...

Star Trek Voyager had an episode where Data played Sherlock Holmes.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Unless they had a crossover episode, wasn't that in Star Trek: The Next Generation?

Oh, I love Daniel Davis's holographic Moriarty! Remember the episode where he somehow gets loose from the holodeck, and terrorizes the ship?

Davis is the opposite number of the fellow who played the CIA agent in "Scandal" -- an American actor who has made a career largely of playing British characters. (In one episode of The Nanny, his English character Niles "fakes" an American Southern accent as an in-joke.) His British accents sound pretty good to me -- how do they sound from the other side of the pond?

Oh gosh! The Bravestarr I don't remember, but I know I watched the Shelock Holmes in the 22nd Century one. Back when I was a whippersnapper I watched LOTS of brainrot on tv. Saturday morning cartoons with Oreo cookies! Drove my Dad crazy that I wasted my time on such dreck. Dad was the one who "introduced" me to Sherlock Holmes. :sherlock:

Oh gods this is weird...

Which is what I said when I watched the first ten minutes of it.

I just happened to come across Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century on YouTube, only to find out that it had already been discussed here years ago.  Oh well, there are a lot of new members since then, so here's the link to YouTube's index page for the series.  It's clearly intended as a kiddy show, but the first episode (all I've watched so far) isn't bad, considering all that they needed to cram into 20 minutes.

A word of caution:  Don't put too much confidence in the closed captioning (subtitles).

Hey, that was pretty good! So far, I admit I fell asleep halfway through....