That Voice ...

Caya

I've never tried putting the URL in all by itself.  Interesting to know that that works.

As with most shortcuts, though, there's no guarantee that a naked URL will work with future revs of the forum software.  So if you want the videos you post to remain viewable, it's probably safer to use the "official" method (just like this, except use [square brackets] instead of the {curly ones}):

{media}video URL{/media}

Unfortunately, there are some videos that seem to defy embedding, short of resorting to HTML.  In those cases, though, you can just link to the page.

• 1 month later...

Oooh yes, James Earl Jones has a great voice! If I had to pick a favourite role of his voice-works, though, it'd be The Lion King's Mufasa - he sounds so lion-like:

Of course Jeremy Irons and Rowan Atkinson are great in this, too :).

What, they were done by the same voice actor? Wow, I never knew that! Yeah, about time someone mentioned Vader here...

T.o.b.y just made realize that I haven't mentioned Neil Patrick Harris here, shame on me :blush: . So without further ado, here's a clip from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (my favourite song's much later in the film, but I don't want to spoil anything ... the whole film's on YouTube half a dozen times if you want to see it for yourself).

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to vote for the Sutherlands - Kiefer and his dad Donald. Both have that lovely, husky, almost-whisper.

Have to say, though, that there are many beautiful speaking voices but none have the same tingly effect that Benedict's. I even watched a documentary about tunnels in the First World War, just because he did the voice over!

I strongly recommend the CD "Words For You - The Next Chaptet", on which Benedict reads "Nightingale"' "Jabberwocky" and "Kubla Khan". Such lovely words - "And all shall cry Beware!Beware!/ His flashing eyes! His floating hair!/ Weave a circle round him thrice/ And close your eyes in holy dread/ For he on honey-dew hath fed/ And drunk the milk of Paradise"'- and such a lovely voice.

• Like 1

Sadly, amazon.US doesn't carry "Words For You - The Next Chapter" but if and when they do, I'll get it.  Thank you so much for posting this, Ruthy. Truly beautiful.

• Like 1

If Amazon.co.uk has it, you can order it from them, Fox.  They will deliver just about anywhere in the world.

I tried Amazon.co.uk just after Christmas, but the site wouldn't let me order. Not sure why. I do have an account with them. Will try again later. I found a CD with BC reading Sherlock Holmes stories....not from canon....but hey....I'm up for "Sherlock" reading Sherlock Holmes any day.

I strongly recommend the CD "Words For You - The Next Chaptet", on which Benedict reads "Nightingale"' "Jabberwocky" and "Kubla Khan". Such lovely words - "And all shall cry Beware!Beware!/ His flashing eyes! His floating hair!/ Weave a circle round him thrice/ And close your eyes in holy dread/ For he on honey-dew hath fed/ And drunk the milk of Paradise"'- and such a lovely voice.

Sadly, amazon.US doesn't carry "Words For You - The Next Chapter" but if and when they do, I'll get it.  Thank you so much for posting this, Ruthy. Truly beautiful.

Thank you Slithytove and Bakerstreet Irregular,

I too, think Benedict's voice is just lovely - I would love him to read me a story .... anything will do!!

I tried Amazon.co.uk just after Christmas, but the site wouldn't let me order. Not sure why. I do have an account with them. Will try again later. I found a CD with BC reading Sherlock Holmes stories....not from canon....but hey....I'm up for "Sherlock" reading Sherlock Holmes any day.

I have the SH stories and it's great :) It's not from ACD but I really enjoyed listening to it. But maybe it's mostly because it's read by Benedict :)

I have the SH stories and it's great :) It's not from ACD but I really enjoyed listening to it. But maybe it's mostly because it's read by Benedict :)

I'm glad to hear that you like it, Jana. It didn't get great reviews on Amazon, but I imagine just hearing Benedict's voice reading them would be worth the money. I got an email saying they got another shipment in so I will be getting a copy pretty soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was watching Ripper Street last night and I think Matthew MacFadyen has a nice voice.  Deep and British and well modulated ... it can be a bit edgy but mostly he sounds quite good ! ;) 

Debbie

You had me at deep and British :lol:.

• 8 years later...

Had to dig up this thread because while most of you will know John de Lancie from Star Trek, this isn't Trek (unless you headcanon it as Q having fun) and to the best of my knowledge we don't have a Poe thread.

• Like 2

Nicely done, Mr. de Lancie!

That poem (or the mere thought of it) never fails to remind me of a parody from Mad magazine, my original copy of which was burned by my mother decades ago.  Each time I think of that parody, I go looking for it -- and just now I finally found it (on this web page, though it seems to have become a "thing," available on several websites now):

The Spaniel" by Edgar, Al, & Moe (From Mad Magazine)

"Once upon a midnight cautious, while I pondered, weak and nauseous,
Over some advertising copy I had wrote for Macy's store -
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a yapping,
As of someone loudly yapping, yapping at my office door.
'Tis some client there,' I muttered,'yapping at my office door -
only this and nothing more.'

Then I felt my terror worsen, for my guest was not a person!
In there stepped a cocker spaniel, naturally I jumped in fear.
Tried to climb an oaken panel, ripping there my new grey flannel,
But the spaniel merely stood there, speaking out with voice so clear -
Speaking out like Jack Lescoulie, in a voice both loud and clear -
Quoth the spaniel - 'Drink Blatz Beer!'

How I marveled this ungainly dog who did commercials plainly;
How he spoke the message clearly; selling points he underscored.
For I could not help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet could mouth a slogan without sounding
Slightly bored -
Most announcers being human, can't help sounding
slightly bored -
Quoth the spaniel, 'Buy a Ford!'

Thus this dog with voice like Murrow made my heavy
brow unfurl;
Thoughts of fortunes I could make now made me shake
down to my knees.
But the spaniel set me grieving then by turning tail
and leaving.
Naturally, I begged him tarry, crying out, 'Stay
with me, please!'

Chasing him along the hallway, crying out, 'Stay
with me, please!'
Quoth the spaniel, 'Eat Kraft Cheese!'"

For those too young (or too not-American) to recall, Jack Lescoulie was a popular announcer and host, and Edward R. Murrow was a prominent newscaster.

I think I just "got" the last line.

• Thanks 1

Is anyone familiar with The Chosen's Quintus (played by Brandon Potter)? If I had only heard the voice, I would have sworn it was John DeLancie. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a relation.

• Like 1

@Pamela, agreed, I heard him in some video game (think it was Borderlands) and I thought that was John de Lancie at first, as well.

@Carol the Dabbler , there's also a parody named The End of the Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe's cat (from Poetry for Cats by Henry N. Beard) :

On a night quite unenchanting,
when the rain was downward slanting,
I awakened to the ranting
of the man I catch mice for.

Tipsy and a bit unshaven,
in a tone I found quite craven,
Poe was talking to a Raven
perched above the chamber door.

"Raven's very tasty," thought I,
as I tiptoed o'er the floor,
"There is nothing I like more".

Soft upon the rug I treaded,