Sign in to follow this  
Carol the Dabbler

What is MultiQuote, and how do I use it?

A number of members (including me) have commented that they have no idea how to use MultiQuote, and in fact don't even know what it's for.  Omega was kind enough to explain it very succinctly:

Just select "mutltiquote" on every post you want to quote. When you're done, just use the "Reply to X quoted post(s)"

... which makes perfect sense to me because a number of Moderator functions work that way.  Just in case that explanation doesn't immediately "click" with you, however, here's the long and tedious version:

Each post on the forum contains several buttons in its lower-right quadrant, including MultiQuote and Quote.  This explanation assumes that you already understand Quote.  MultiQuote allows you to quote and reply to several posts within a single post of your own.  Here's how to use it:

0.  Wait till the thread is fully loaded (especially important if your internet service is slow).

1.  Click the MultiQuote button in the first post that you want to quote.  The button will turn green, and a small box will appear in the lower-right corner of your screen containing two buttons, "Reply to 1 quoted post(s)," and "Clear."

2.  Click the MultiQuote button in the next post that you want to quote.  That button will also turn green, and the number in the small box will be incremented.

3.  Repeat till you've selected all of the posts that you want to quote.  You can scroll back at any time and see which posts you've selected by looking for green MultiQuote buttons.  If you change your mind at any point, you can deselect any individual post by clicking its MultiQuote button again (it will turn back to white).  If you change your mind about the whole thing, just click the "Clear" button in the small box.

4.  Click the "Reply to n quoted post(s)" button in the small box.  You will be taken to the Reply box at the bottom of the page, and it will already contain quotes of all the posts you have selected.

5.  Type your response(s), then click "Post" below the Reply box.

If this does not work for you, or if you have additional questions, please post your comments below.  Thanks!

A couple more points:

If you want to use MultiQuote across a page boundary, bring up ONLY the first page, select all the posts you want to MultiQuote on that page, THEN click "Next" to bring up the next page, and so on.  (If you pre-load multiple pages on separate tabs before you start using MultiQuote, it'll reset itself when you change tabs.)

MultiQuote is really handy for keeping track of posts that you might want to reply to -- no more "now where was that other post I was puzzled about?"  If you change your mind about actually replying to a particular post, you can always unclick it (or delete that quote).

and Rule Number 6:  If you click a MultiQuote button and immediately get kicked onto the "Replying to the-thread-you're-on" page, as if you'd clicked regular Quote -- go back and read Rule Number 0.

I love MultiQuote, and keep discovering new features within it.  For example:

If I'm in the middle of a long-winded reply and realize that I want to include a quote -- all I have to do is position the cursor where I want the quote to be, then scroll up to the post I want to quote, click MultiQuote, then click "Reply to 1 quoted post(s)" -- and there it is, right where I want it!

Nowadays I rarely use the regular Quote button, I use MultiQuote even if I'm quoting only one post, because I like the way it leaves me on the thread instead of taking me to a special reply page.

I don't know why I ever thought multiquote was so difficult, actually, once I tried it, it made perfect sense. I think it does help to be in full editor mode at first, just so you can see the boundaries of the different quotes. All that code's pretty confusing at first.

That's supposed to be a light switch? I confess it just looks like a dot in a box to me, it took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about. (And why a light switch?)

I don't know why I ever thought multiquote was so difficult, actually, once I tried it, it made perfect sense. I think it does help to be in full editor mode at first, just so you can see the boundaries of the different quotes. All that code's pretty confusing at first.

Heavens yes -- even with practice, I prefer to be in full-editor mode when I face a Reply box full of quotes! (Though I will sometimes pop into plain-vanilla mode to prune them.)

That's supposed to be a light switch? I confess it just looks like a dot in a box to me, it took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about. (And why a light switch?)

Try zooming in on it (Ctrl / + ).  I think it's supposed to be a switch -- though not necessarily a light switch, I suppose.  (And maybe because you use it to switch between modes?)

I get into a right 2 & 8 with something like multi quoting.

And here's my vocabulary lesson for the day, along with the helpful link of the day :D. Thanks Pawse ;).

• Like 2

I get into a right 2 & 8 with something like multi quoting.

And here's my vocabulary lesson for the day, along with the helpful link of the day :D. Thanks Pawse ;).

:lol:

Hey! I did it! :D

• Like 2

:applause:

tjDIxN1.jpg

• Like 2

I just stumbled onto another feature of MultiQuote:

If I want to add a quote to something I've already posted, all I have to do is click MultiQuote on the post that I want to quote, then go to the post I want it added to and click Edit.  It'll take me to the Reply page with the quote inserted at the top of the post being edited.  (If I want it located elsewhere, I just do a cut and paste.)

This will be so handy for those times when I reply to the previous post without bothering to quote it -- and then see that my post is at the top of the next page.

• Like 1