Episode 3.1, "The Empty Hearse"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Empty Hearse"?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

I didn't take it as a joke either, more something he suspected might be the case but wasn't actually diagnosing. 

• Like 2

Wow, guess I'm in the minority.  I took it as this frustrated swipe at Sherlock (not so much at people with Aspergers) that indicated that John was just about done with being away from town and sharing a hotel room with Sherlock.  Oh well.  Unlikely I'll ever be able to see this one differently.

I've just gone through this one again, and I really can't get fed up about all the fun we have all along it. Even in tragic moments!

I like Sherlock being so happy to be able to come back to London, and to John first of all, even if Mycroft tries to suggest that couldn't be a good idea. Don't you think the dear elder brother perfectly knows what John plans to do in the restaurant, and thus sends Sherlock in the disaster intentionnaly? I like Mycroft in this way, too! Bastards both!

Being turned into thinking they play chess whereas it is "docteur maboul" (I don't know the English name of it) is so funny, just like the whole scene in the flat. And even when John is kidnapped I worried of course, but couldn't help thinking in the same time "poor John, you just put but the tip of your shoe on Baker Street's pavement, and here are the troubles coming back!"

"Welcome back, Mr Holmes!" 

• Like 1

Being turned into thinking they play chess whereas it is "docteur maboul" (I don't know the English name of it) is so funny, just like the whole scene in the flat. 

That whole scene is one of my favorites in the entire series! Especially the "hat deduction." Sherlock's in such a whimsical mood in that scene, I'd like to see him like that more often. :smile:

• Like 2

Being turned into thinking they play chess whereas it is "docteur maboul" (I don't know the English name of it) is so funny, just like the whole scene in the flat. 

That whole scene is one of my favorites in the entire series! Especially the "hat deduction." Sherlock's in such a whimsical mood in that scene, I'd like to see him like that more often. :smile:

But not *too* often.  I hate it when a cute bit that caught the audience's attention once is then turned into a standard part of a show (e.g., "Dy-no-mite!" or "Hi. My name's Larry. This is my brother Darryl. This is my other brother Darryl").  Maybe Sherlock could wax briefly whimsical once every series or so without turning the show into a farce.

• Like 2

^ Ditto!

I have no idea what those two examples are from. 

Me neither, lol.

Youth these days. :rolleyes:

Dy-no-mite = the catch phrase used by a character on Good Times, a comedy show about a black family struggling to make ends meet in the '70's. He was supposed to be a bit of a young hipster.

Larry, Daryl & Daryl were characters in Bob Newhart's '80's comedy show, the one set in a country inn in Vermont. Larry was the only one that talked, usually. They were supposed to be sort of weird backwoodsmen. And were. :D

• Like 1

Youth these days. :rolleyes:

Dy-no-mite = the catch phrase used by a character on Good Times, a comedy show about a black family struggling to make ends meet in the '70's. He was supposed to be a bit of a young hipster.

Larry, Daryl & Daryl were characters in Bob Newhart's '80's comedy show, the one set in a country inn in Vermont. Larry was the only one that talked, usually. They were supposed to be sort of weird backwoodsmen. And were. :D

Thank you.  And my point was, they both ran away with the show.  Good Times started out being fairly realistic, which is one reason they were able to get two well-respected actors to play the parents.  Unfortunately, to play J. J., the eldest son, they hired a young personable stand-up comic, whose catch-phrase soon became the focal point of each episode.  The parental actors finally got fed up, saying that the show was supposed to be a situation comedy based on reality, not just a build up to the inevitable "Dy-no-mite!"  After they left, the show became even weaker, and I stopped watching it altogether.

Larry, Daryl, and Daryl likewise became the focal point of many episodes, even though (in my opinion) they never really added more than their trademark introductory lines -- which were funny, the first time.  I finally stopped watching that show too.

I should probably mention here that Fonzie similarly became a far more important character than originally intended (in Happy Days, an American-Graffiti-type show about teenagers circa 1960).  But I never felt that he ran away with the show.  He developed as a character, and provided some very touching moments in addition to his intrinsic humor (which did not really depend on his catch phrase).

So, my point was, I'd hate to see Sherlock's whimsical moments become something that people expect.  If that happened, those moments wouldn't even be particularly funny anymore, because a good bit of their humor comes from their being *un*expected.

• Like 1