Episode 3.1, "The Empty Hearse"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Empty Hearse"?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

We've all been waiting for this episode for a LONG time and for me it didn't disappoint! Every second was fantastic but real highlights for me were:

-Sherlock's coat-hair-kiss movement with Molly. *swoon* Loo is one lucky lady!!

-Anderson saying "I believe in Sherlock Holmes!" Aww.

-"Oh yes, we meet up every Friday for fish and chips." Lol - love Mycroft.

-Sherlock putting his coat back on. In fact, every coat scene. There was a lot of good coat action.

-Sherlock gazing out over London - it reminded me of him looking out across Dartmoor. Beautifully shot.

-Sherlock endeavouring to surprise John. That whole scene was brilliant, and completely unlike any reunion between them I'd imagined.

-"Just the two of us against the rest of the world."

-"I like him." And I like Mary. Didn't expect to, which was interesting.

-Sherlock and Lestrade's man hug, even after he called him Graham. Brilliant.

-Moriarty making a reappearance!

-"I don't think we should wear hats." I got goosebumps when the news broke and everyone started getting messages about Sherlock being alive!

-"I don't shave for Sherlock Holmes."

-Sherlock and Mycroft playing Operation. Utter genius. And the whole conversation that followed. Sheer brilliance.

-"What did he say?" "He said f..." "Cough." Brilliant.

-Cutting between scenes of Sherlock with his clients and John with his patients.

-"Did you get him off a murder charge?" "No, I helped him put up some shelves." Just brilliant. The whole conversation that followed between Sherlock and Molly was utter perfection, especially the smile he gave her. Wonderful stuff.

-Sherlock saying "Mary?" Don't ask me why - I just loved it.

-Sherlock battling the flames to save John. Obviously.

-Sherlock's parents - well done Mr and Mrs Cumberbatch (and thank you for bringing those cheekbones into the world). I like that they're not what you'd expect, but they don't really seem the type to call their children Mycroft and Sherlock. Or is that just me?

-The way Sherlock shone his light at John and said "and a soldier!" Even in difficult, emotional or dramatic times there are still splashes of humour that work so well, and seeing the playfulness between them again was a joy.

-"Oh, please. Killing me - that's so two years ago." Love it.

-Sherlock not saying anything to Molly about Tom, but just shaking his hand. Makes me love him even more!

-The return of the hat. Ah, the hat. The hat only Benedict Cumbebatch can make look sexy.

All in all - a fabulous episode. Might have to watch it for the fourth time tonight. :-D

• Like 2

Maybe (hopefully!) my perspective will change when I have seen the other episodes of series 3 and when I have the DVDs to sit down with and watch at leisure. Perhaps the subtleties I like so much in the other episodes weren't missing and I just didn't get them because it was all so exciting and over so fast.

I do "have" to say, though, that I found the hat scene with Mycroft a bit - crude, I guess is the right word. Of course it was rather sweet, too, especially when Sherlock put the thing on, but I really would have understood his feeling of isolation well enough if it hadn't been spelled out quite so plainly. The dialogue seemed a bit predictable to me; I felt like I had heard it before, in a different kind of film altogether and my first reaction was "Sherlock doesn't need this!"

Was this the first episode they saw for anybody? If so, it must have been terribly confusing! All those references to previous scenes and echoes of old lines plus all this play on fan "issues" plus the Doyle references... Quite a mixture!

• Like 1

We've all been waiting for this episode for a LONG time and for me it didn't disappoint! Every second was fantastic but real highlights for me were:

-Sherlock's coat-hair-kiss movement with Molly. *swoon* Loo is one lucky lady!!

-Anderson saying "I believe in Sherlock Holmes!" Aww.

-"Oh yes, we meet up every Friday for fish and chips." Lol - love Mycroft.

-Sherlock putting his coat back on. In fact, every coat scene. There was a lot of good coat action.

-Sherlock gazing out over London - it reminded me of him looking out across Dartmoor. Beautifully shot.

-Sherlock endeavouring to surprise John. That whole scene was brilliant, and completely unlike any reunion between them I'd imagined.

-"Just the two of us against the rest of the world."

-"I like him." And I like Mary. Didn't expect to, which was interesting.

-Sherlock and Lestrade's man hug, even after he called him Graham. Brilliant.

-Moriarty making a reappearance!

-"I don't think we should wear hats." I got goosebumps when the news broke and everyone started getting messages about Sherlock being alive!

-"I don't shave for Sherlock Holmes."

-Sherlock and Mycroft playing Operation. Utter genius. And the whole conversation that followed. Sheer brilliance.

-"What did he say?" "He said f..." "Cough." Brilliant.

-Cutting between scenes of Sherlock with his clients and John with his patients.

-"Did you get him off a murder charge?" "No, I helped him put up some shelves." Just brilliant. The whole conversation that followed between Sherlock and Molly was utter perfection, especially the smile he gave her. Wonderful stuff.

-Sherlock saying "Mary?" Don't ask me why - I just loved it.

-Sherlock battling the flames to save John. Obviously.

-Sherlock's parents - well done Mr and Mrs Cumberbatch (and thank you for bringing those cheekbones into the world). I like that they're not what you'd expect, but they don't really seem the type to call their children Mycroft and Sherlock. Or is that just me?

-The way Sherlock shone his light at John and said "and a soldier!" Even in difficult, emotional or dramatic times there are still splashes of humour that work so well, and seeing the playfulness between them again was a joy.

-"Oh, please. Killing me - that's so two years ago." Love it.

-Sherlock not saying anything to Molly about Tom, but just shaking his hand. Makes me love him even more!

-The return of the hat. Ah, the hat. The hat only Benedict Cumbebatch can make look sexy.

All in all - a fabulous episode. Might have to watch it for the fourth time tonight. :-D

All these scenes were my favourites too. Maybe I liked it better than I thought :)

I just watched it (thank you internet ;) )

There were so much great things in this episode! The way they played with the fans and their theories! Or the interaction between Sherlock and Mycroft!

Personally, I didn't feel disappointed about the reunion of John and Sherlock because it was played in a subtle way and really fun to watch :D Although the thought "Sherlock, you're a bastard!" popped in my mind from time to time...

I also wondered about Mary and I can't wait to see how her story will go on! But I fear that she will turn out to be a part of the villains -which would really disappoint me because I liked her instantly.

Between all the gold nuggets given to us in this episode there was one that cheered me up a lot at that made me litterally bouncing on my sofa: the Doctor Who in-joke :lol:

Which was the Dr Who in-joke? I've never seen the doctor, so of course I didn't get it.

Time to write something positive about this episode. Hmmmm... well, there was one bit I found really interesting: Mycroft saying that both he and Sherlock himself thought Sherlock was dumb before they met other kids. I guess it was always clear that there was / had been rivalry between them and Sherlock was often made to feel a bit inferior to his older brother, but I had never quite realized before that Sherlock's almost compulsive need to "show off" must stem from more than pure vanity, it's supposed to be a residue of trying again and again to prove to his big brother that he's worth something. Quite sad, very believable and a new aspect of his personality to ponder over.

• Like 5

Sorry T.o.b.y. I'm not sure how to quote on my phone, Mark Gatiss played a character called Lazarus in Doctor Who :)

Oh! Thanks! Stupid me thought it was just a bible reference since Lazarus was raised from the dead.

The mustache... another canon reference I liked. Watson is more than once described as having one and it's sort of his trademark, like Holmes' "ear flap hat". Love how they recognize these iconic details and then lovingly reject them.

• Like 1

Sorry T.o.b.y. I'm not sure how to quote on my phone, Mark Gatiss played a character called Lazarus in Doctor Who :)

Oh! Thanks! Stupid me thought it was just a bible reference since Lazarus was raised from the dead.

The mustache... another canon reference I liked. Watson is more than once described as having one and it's sort of his trademark, like Holmes' "ear flap hat". Love how they recognize these iconic details and then lovingly reject them.

Not stupid at all!! Because Lazarus will always be a bible reference!!  It's just the Whovian in me that first made the connection with DW before thinking of the real cultural background  ^_^

The "moustache running gag" was well hilarious  and me too, I liked the way they used this canonical trademark here!

There is something that I don't quite understand. Mrs Hudson's reaction to John's new girlfriend. Why was she so surprised? She'd seen him with women before and she still thought that John was gay? Doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

There is something that I don't quite understand. Mrs Hudson's reaction to John's new girlfriend. Why was she so surprised? She'd seen him with women before and she still thought that John was gay? Doesn't make much sense.

I thought exactly the same thing - she brought nibbles round when he was entertaining Sarah, she was there at Christmas when he was dating the 'boring teacher'... I always assumed she understood Sherlock and John's relationship was platonic. Maybe she thought all the women was John's attempt at denial...?!

• Like 1

I need to rewatch it. I was worried about Mary as I just read 'The sign of the four' and wondered how she would fit in and I actually really warmed to her instantly, but I do worry about the 'liar' when Sherlock was deducing her..

Molly, oh Molly breaks my heart. Been there and done the whole loving someone unobtainable (horrid) and when she decided to go in the opposite direction from Sherlock and he didn't even look back my heart broke all over again.

I thought the way that Sherlock revealed himself to John was hilarious but part of me really felt bad for John, but it was typical Sherlock..misreading human nature but I loved the new sensitivity that SH showed, just moments when I thought 'he does have a heart after all'

Kate

One question has been bothering me all night... What the hell happened to Donovan?

During the start of the show (where Sherlock was being chased), I thought it was Donovan being chased (maybe she got killed or something and it could the reason why Anderson wanted Sherlock to be alive -- yep, I actually bought that theory! Quite shameful, really. XD )

Well, I thought the bit in the carriage of the train was vile. I mean, why was it necessary for the real emotion to be invalidated and laughed at. Why the trickery? What was it for? It was really unpleasant and kind of horrified me.

I loved a lot of it, but that bit of business there disturbed the hell out of me. Sherlock displayed more genuine compassion for the young woman being tricked by her stepfather ( and good canon reference there, kudos) than he did for the genuine deep emotional trauma he caused his friend. So we think he's remorseful, that he wants forgiveness and then it's all a trick and he laughs?  The scene could have been done with honest emotional imapct and still ended on a comedy note with the off switch. Why did they choose this? 

Sorry, it really bothered me.

I have agree. In fact…the entire scene on the train—even the scene where John is kidnapped--at each step I just kept thinking that Sherlock was going to come out and admit to having staged it all to get a reaction out of John…just like he did in the Hounds of Baskerville.  In that episode I really couldn’t stand the part in the lab where Sherlock tormented John just to prove his theory.

I spent most of the latest episode worried that all of this was part of Sherlock’s plan to get some sort of reaction. That really tainted my opinion of the episode. However, I will re-watch it. I may enjoy it better now that I know the terrorist plots were real...though he still lied about not knowing how to stop the bomb... 

Oooh, thanks for the trailer!

I actually knew (that girl who saw the screening at the BFI told me through a private message) that Ben's real parents were going to play his parents on the show. I'm actually very disappointed in how that played out... I thought we'd get more of them than him cold-heartedly shoving them out the door. And the way he acted ashamed of how "ordinary" they are. His mother, especially, seemed to be very warm and loving toward him, much like Mrs. Hudson, whom Sherlock obviously adores and indulges. It felt wrong that he seemed so indifferent to them.

I knew they were going to be "ordinary" since that comment Gatiss made earlier, but I still find that a bit weird. There go loads of perfectly good fanfics with Sherlock and Mycroft's behavior being explained away by wealthy, detached, upper class parents who ignored them or looked down on Sherlock's "freak" ways. 

I didn't like the idea that they were ordinary at all. How is it then that Sherlock and Mycroft are as they are? Perhaps Sherlock followed in his brother's footsteps. 

Not even the snipers were a real threat - so Sherlock never sacrificed anything for anybody's life. And the cruelty to John is magnified, since it was carefully premeditated by both brothers and there were plenty of alternatives. Why did they do that to him? Where was the advantage? 

T.o.b.y., 

Although I enjoyed 'The Empty Hearse', I too found the story of the snipers a bit strange. If Mycroft's people were capable of 'persuading' John's sniper to call off his attack after Moriarty's suicide, there was no need for Sherlock to fake his death. I did consider that Moriarty may have positioned others around Bart's to witness Sherlock's death (after all there were around 10 sniper sights trained on Sherlock and John at the end of The Great Game!), but if that was the case they would have surely seen the elaborate preparations being carried out to break Sherlock's fall. So Mycroft's people could have apprehended the lone sniper at any time during the Sherlock/Moriarty confrontation, Sherlock could still have taken out Moriarty's network, and John would not have suffered 2 years of emotional torture.

Having said that, it would have been much less entertaining than two years of Reichenbach Fall conjecture!

One question has been bothering me all night... What the hell happened to Donovan?

During the start of the show (where Sherlock was being chased), I thought it was Donovan being chased (maybe she got killed or something and it could the reason why Anderson wanted Sherlock to be alive -- yep, I actually bought that theory! Quite shameful, really. XD )

I wondered about her too!! I was surprised that there were no information given about her whereabouts and what happened to her...

Well maybe the actress was not free or something like that but this would be a far too ordinary explanation (and it doesn't explain the lack of information concerning Donovan)

I like your idea - it's diabolic  :evilinside:

T.o.b.y.

To be honest it probably was a bible reference,but Who fans read to much into it. Or perhaps that particular name was chosen because of both references to bible and Marks Doctor Who character, and that particular episode of Doctor Who makes a lot more sense now, it was called The Lazarus Experiment and from what I remember the character of Lazarus was an old man who conducted an experiment that made him young again, and I suppose that was preventing death in a way but naturally the Experiment went wrong :)

Is anyone else finding that last nights episode instead of answering our questions has just gave us a 1000 more and finding it slightly frustrating. I am currently at work but all I can think about is Sherlock and all the what ifs. I fear I am turning into Anderson!!

Yes, I've been thinking about Sherlock all day. Luckily I don't have to go to work for the rest of the week so it doesn't bother me at all :D

About Donovan: I didn't think of her at all while watching the episode, but you're right, Ciarlock, I would love to know what happened to her, too. 

Donovan is going to show up in a later episode afaik.

Meanwhile, Crossover Police Alert:

tumblr_myrgtru6Qs1rk6x3qo1_1280.jpg

Anderson has some far-reaching theories as to how Sherlock could've survived The Fall (source).

And, via Claire Pritchard's twitter, Sherlock wondering who that other guy in the coat is:

tumblr_myr43d8CAi1qevqqyo2_1280.jpg

• Like 2

T.o.b.y.

To be honest it probably was a bible reference,but Who fans read to much into it. Or perhaps that particular name was chosen because of both references to bible and Marks Doctor Who character, and that particular episode of Doctor Who makes a lot more sense now, it was called The Lazarus Experiment and from what I remember the character of Lazarus was an old man who conducted an experiment that made him young again, and I suppose that was preventing death in a way but naturally the Experiment went wrong :)

You are so right but I'm so not ashamed of my "seeing DW  references everywhere" habit  ^_^

And I certainly think that it was not a simple coincidence  given that Mark Gatiss wrote the script... Just another little gift for the fanboys and - girls

Oh, I am sure it was a little treat for the "Whovians". Why wouldn't it be, the entire episode is just one big wink at fans of all kinds.

Here's another tidbit that just came home to me: John mentions "Verner" as the regular physician of the man he mistakes for Sherlock in disguise. Verner is originally the doctor who buys Watson's practice (with Holmes' money) so Watson is free to move back to Baker St and solve crimes round the clock.

I think my favorite moment was when Sherlock said he didn't even know what being Sherlock Holmes was supposed to mean. The idea that he isn't quite sure (any more?) who he is and who he wants to be is very interesting and could provide some great character development.

So much great stuff in this episode. Like:

• Everything in the restaurant. My new favorite scene! Sherlock pretending to be a waiter. It's really funny, and yet the first time I watched it I was just gaping at Sherlock's audacity.
  • How nervous Sherlock is when first revealing himself to John. It almost made me choke up - probably would have, if it hadn't been cut short.
  • John punching Sherlock over and over! To me it seems like the most plausible reaction.
  • I love the scene in the shop, when John shouts and Sherlock starts too: "Yes, it's still a secret! Promise you won't tell anyone." - "I SWEAR TO GOD!"
  • Mycroft and Sherlock having open talks, and the insight we gain from them. They weren't even icy towards each other.
  • John thinking that Sherlock is disguising as a patient :D It cracks me up, especially when John imitates the patient's accent!
  • Likewise when Sherlock hears John's voice in his head while on a case, and he argues with him out loud  ;)
  • The humble "sorry" from Sherlock, when John has just found out that two more people knew about Sherlock being alive. That simple deliverance of "sorry" touches me.
  • And my second favorite scene: The train - both John's heartfelt words, and Sherlock's badly timed, yet hilarious, joke! I love how he laughs so hard that he cries tears, and his voice when he says: "Your face!"

:)  :D  :lol:

• Like 1

Well, I thought the bit in the carriage of the train was vile. I mean, why was it necessary for the real emotion to be invalidated and laughed at. Why the trickery? What was it for? It was really unpleasant and kind of horrified me.

I loved a lot of it, but that bit of business there disturbed the hell out of me. Sherlock displayed more genuine compassion for the young woman being tricked by her stepfather ( and good canon reference there, kudos) than he did for the genuine deep emotional trauma he caused his friend. So we think he's remorseful, that he wants forgiveness and then it's all a trick and he laughs?  The scene could have been done with honest emotional imapct and still ended on a comedy note with the off switch. Why did they choose this? 

Sorry, it really bothered me.

It really bothered me, too! If he had been more sheepish in revealing that he had already disarmed the bomb and just took advantage of the moment to get John to forgive him, it would have bothered me less. But his "Haha! Your face!" was just too much, as if he really didn't care about John forgiving him, and just wanted to see how easily he could still put one over on him. For my own sanity, I'm choosing to believe that all of the laughing and joking at John's expense in this episode was just Sherlock's attempt to make light of both of their feelings and try to smooth everything over, as we all know emotional displays are not something he's overly comfortable with. A defense mechanism, as it were, that was just very poorly timed (which, when does Sherlock ever grasp when it's the "wrong time" to be tactless?) 

I do have my own issues with the way John's emotions were handled. It would have satisfied me more if Sherlock had more clearly demonstrated understanding. Yet I feel he does so in more subtle ways; like his nervousness at the first meeting with John, and how he later (after having rescued John, and John seeks hims out in Baker St) says: "Sorry, sorry again!" Then he adds one more humble and low "sorry". I love that scene.

Yes, I loved those bits, too! Again, it helps me believe that all the insensitive laughing and joking was just Sherlock's attempt to make light of everything, because he didn't know how to handle the heavy emotional minefield they were in. 

Which was the Dr Who in-joke? I've never seen the doctor, so of course I didn't get it.

Time to write something positive about this episode. Hmmmm... well, there was one bit I found really interesting: Mycroft saying that both he and Sherlock himself thought Sherlock was dumb before they met other kids. I guess it was always clear that there was / had been rivalry between them and Sherlock was often made to feel a bit inferior to his older brother, but I had never quite realized before that Sherlock's almost compulsive need to "show off" must stem from more than pure vanity, it's supposed to be a residue of trying again and again to prove to his big brother that he's worth something. Quite sad, very believable and a new aspect of his personality to ponder over.

Yes to all of this! It definitely gives an interesting look into Sherlock's psyche, and I'm sure there will be loads of fanfic to explore it further!  :lol:

I didn't really get the impression that it was deliberately meant to be a Who reference, but rather was actually a bible reference. But then, being a Whovian myself, I can certainly see why so many jumped on that one! 

The mustache... it was a nice nod to canon and a good joke, but that thing was so distracting to me! The whole time John was initially reacting to seeing Sherlock in the restaurant, when he was shaking and grunting and slamming his fist into the table, I kept thinking that I could barely see his lips moving, and it rather looked like his words were actually coming from the mustache itself. Like the mustache was very angry at Sherlock and was giving him a piece of its mind. I'm sure Martin was doing some brilliant acting underneath that thing, but it was all that I could see and it was really distracting.  I got more of his feelings from his fist slamming and from Mary in the background, urging him to calm down. 

Yes, this bothered me, too! As someone else said, she saw him with dates and girlfriends frequently, tried to help him along with Sarah. It felt like just another excuse to do the "I'm not gay!" bit, and it would have gone over better with a character who didn't know him as well.  This would have been a good scene for Donovan, had she been around. Maybe if John went to the NSY to share his news with Lestrade, and Donovan overhears and says,"Oh, brilliant! What's his name?" to show that she (and probably a lot of others who knew Sherlock and John more casually) always assumed their living situation wasn't platonic. 

Oooh, thanks for the trailer!

I actually knew (that girl who saw the screening at the BFI told me through a private message) that Ben's real parents were going to play his parents on the show. I'm actually very disappointed in how that played out... I thought we'd get more of them than him cold-heartedly shoving them out the door. And the way he acted ashamed of how "ordinary" they are. His mother, especially, seemed to be very warm and loving toward him, much like Mrs. Hudson, whom Sherlock obviously adores and indulges. It felt wrong that he seemed so indifferent to them.

I knew they were going to be "ordinary" since that comment Gatiss made earlier, but I still find that a bit weird. There go loads of perfectly good fanfics with Sherlock and Mycroft's behavior being explained away by wealthy, detached, upper class parents who ignored them or looked down on Sherlock's "freak" ways. 

I didn't like the idea that they were ordinary at all. How is it then that Sherlock and Mycroft are as they are? Perhaps Sherlock followed in his brother's footsteps. 

Yes, I would have preferred there be more a story there. It certainly isn't implausible that two ordinary people would generate two genius children, but why are they so aloof? I guess we'll just have to assume that, due to their genius, Sherlock and Mycroft were often isolated and ostracized as children, probably made fun of and bullied quite often, and this led to their mistrust of everyone and their general lack of desire to be close to anyone. It' s often remarked by real-life geniuses that it's difficult to relate to people because no one really understands things on the same level as they do.  For someone with a brain like that, I guess it would sort of be like an astronaut trying to explain space travel to a caveman. A pretty lonely existence. I suppose it's another Sheldon Cooper or Niles and Frasier Crane type thing. 

One thing, though... I always got the feeling the Holmes boys came from money, but I didn't get a sense of wealth or privilege from the parents. I had assumed that Sherlock didn't really need a flatmate to help make rent, and that that was an excuse because he was lonely and needed an "assistant", but now I doubt he's got any kind of trust fund. So... where do all of his expensive suits come from? That coat, itself, is what, about $3000? Since he appeared to, before John, turn down any monetary offerings for his help at solving cases, and he had no other job, where did his money come from? Did Mycroft give him an allowance? Does he maybe hold the patents on some inventions that we don't know about? It's a silly little detail, but it makes me very curious. 

Oh, and in regard to his parents... I forgot to hit the quote button, but someone said a few pages back that it was like he was a teenager trying to get his parents out of the room when his friend came over. It is true that Sherlock has a juvenile personality, and looking at it like that makes me feel better about his treatment of his parents in that scene (although I would still have liked more time with them). So, thanks to whomever it was to put it like that!