Episode 3.1, "The Empty Hearse"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Empty Hearse"?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

Or maybe the bicyclist was held back because not every element of this little drama was in place yet.

That may be it, because I remember there was a girl with a phone and they showed her putting it up to her ear just as the bicyclist started out.  Maybe she was giving the cue.

I just had a thought about the snipers - why John's sniper was "invited to reconsider" - this particular sniper (as opposed to Mrs. Hudson's and Greg Lestrade's) was in a position to see the airbag, and knew that Sherlock wasn't actually going to die and therefore would have killed John.

The other snipers had no such knowledge, so apparently the ruse went off as planned.  The other reason for the fall, as I see it the main one, was so that Sherlock could go off and dismantle the web.

• Like 2

I'm close to crying, because I just realised something...

Sherlock was actually worried that his friendship with John had been permanently destroyed. We see that in his conversation with Lestrade: "So John?" "Not really in the picture anymore." And in his surprise when John shows up in his flat. The way he says "John" when John walks in is with a truly surprised voice. Not to mention the look on Sherlock's face when John and Mary drive away in the cab, leaving him alone with a bleeding nose.

Oh, I have to watch this episode again with that in mind! Isn't it great when you can keep watching an episode and still discover something you didn't notice before?!

• Like 1

Dunno, they had him kiss Molly in Anderson's theory earlier so if anything, they're equal opportunity baiters.

tumblr_mys7mf6Bk31s8kbvdo1_400.gif

Oh my gawd this slays me.  I become a puddle and slide off my chair.

...Even with this being the silly "Indiana Jones" version

I really can't even explain how I felt watching this episode! Honestly I was so excited about it and didn't want to miss a second that I left a family cocktail party early, got home, very quickly tidied my room and changed into comfy clothes complete with sherlock scarf and locket, made myself a whole POT of tea and just got ready for everything to hit the fan.

AND IT DID. JESUS CHRIST.

The survival theory parodies, the JohnLock hints, John's reaction to the fact Sherlock's alive, THE FLIPPING BONFIRE! Oh my god at that moment I sat there, hands over mouth, in absolute adrenaline mode. I could write a mile long list of the things I loved about this bloody episode but all I will say is my siblings (who were ironically watching it at the same time in their rooms) could hear my laughter and shrieking and yells of "WOAH WAIT WHAT" throughout the house.

I cannot wait for the next episode and am not sure I'm going to sleep much tonight.

...and then when it was over the house felt so empty...  same thing over here a month later.

I think we're really good friends, MindPalace, we just haven't done the pesky "meeting" thing yet :) 

The same goes for the rest of you! :P

• Like 1

Ok, so, I watched this...then I died for a few hours, I think. And...I have no idea how to describe what I thought of this episode. It almost literally had me crying one moment then laughing the next. I think I'll just go and watch it again now...then another time...and another...and another...wait, then I won't get any sleep! *sigh* Why are there only 24 hours in a day???

yes.

Is it just me?

Or does Martin with a moustache look like a cross betweenDavid Burke/Edward Hardwicke Watson's of the Jeremy Brett era and Jude Law?

Martin Freeman

attachicon.gifMartinFreemanWatson.png

David Burke

attachicon.gifDavidBurkeWatson.jpg

Edward Hardwicke

attachicon.gifEdwardHardwickeWatson.jpg

Jude Law

attachicon.gifJudeLawWatson.jpg

ba ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

I really can't even explain how I felt watching this episode! Honestly I was so excited about it and didn't want to miss a second that I left a family cocktail party early, got home, very quickly tidied my room and changed into comfy clothes complete with sherlock scarf and locket, made myself a whole POT of tea and just got ready for everything to hit the fan.

AND IT DID. JESUS CHRIST.

The survival theory parodies, the JohnLock hints, John's reaction to the fact Sherlock's alive, THE FLIPPING BONFIRE! Oh my god at that moment I sat there, hands over mouth, in absolute adrenaline mode. I could write a mile long list of the things I loved about this bloody episode but all I will say is my siblings (who were ironically watching it at the same time in their rooms) could hear my laughter and shrieking and yells of "WOAH WAIT WHAT" throughout the house.

I cannot wait for the next episode and am not sure I'm going to sleep much tonight.

...and then when it was over the house felt so empty... same thing over here a month later.

I think we're really good friends, MindPalace, we just haven't done the pesky "meeting" thing yet :)

The same goes for the rest of you! :P

Heh! Well I'm happy to talk to you any time XD the people in this forum need to stick together.
  • Like 1

I don't find Sherlock's behaviour in the train to be out of character, given that he is manipulative and prone to inappropriate social responses.

There has never been the suggestion that Sherlock is not trying to manipulate John.  Quite the opposite in fact.  That is the purpose of the lies.

Therefore it is quite in character for him to manipulate John into expressing forgiveness and then to burst out laughing

But what would lead Sherlock to believe that it would work?  As the example of HOUNDS shows, he isn't stupid when it comes to understanding human nature in general and John in particular.  Just as in that episode, Sherlock wants forgiveness.  But in that episode he didn't attempt to get it by lying to or otherwise abusing John.  If he had laughed at John, he would never have gotten an forgiveness.

He would have lost John.

So why did Sherlock do the opposite of what he has proven to himself works - if  forgiveness was his goal?  Why does he do the very thing which caused him the problem in the first place?  On what basis would he conclude that a repeat of the offense for which he sought forgiveness would somehow elicit forgiveness of the either offense?

Usually if you repeat a crime, you receive harsher punishment, not forgiveness!  Sherlock understands justice.  And that is not justice.

And that leads to the question of why did it work?  It shouldn't have worked - as the example from HOUNDS demonstrates.

The belief that it would work is out of character for Sherlock.  And the forgiveness of Sherlock's original betrayal by means of another betrayal by Sherlock is out of character for John.

It is only by believing both men are complete idiots that one claims either action is in character.  And neither one of them is an idiot.

Why did John not go screaming into the night never to see Sherlock again?  John, on the case with Sherlock, is in his happy place once again.  The happy place that he has missed.   Sherlock laughing until tears are streaming down is an extreme reaction, (I loved that part!)   Witnessing Sherlock being over-the-top I think John (once again) realizes "All this is simply who Sherlock is.  Warts and all.  It's just who he is."   Does he want to go back to his dullsville life without Sherlock?  Or does he want to accept this kook as he is (again) and experience that exhilarating life with Sherlock again?

Sherlock was actually worried that his friendship with John had been permanently destroyed. We see that in his conversation with Lestrade: "So John?" "Not really in the picture anymore." And in his surprise when John shows up in his flat. The way he says "John" when John walks in is with a truly surprised voice. Not to mention the look on Sherlock's face when John and Mary drive away in the cab, leaving him alone with a bleeding nose.

I suspect you're right.  Though I'm not sure what scene you're talking about where John shows up (probably just spacing out).  Oh, wait, after the bonfire.  OK.

I've been wondering why he asks John about the absence of mustache then, when he's already seen him without it (and presumably didn't just wander off immediately after pulling him out of the bonfire).  But the mustache does seem to be Sherlock's default conversation subject in this episode, whenever he has no idea what would be appropriate.  At least this time it didn't get him punched!

• Like 1

I've been wondering why he asks John about the absence of mustache then, when he's already seen him without it (and presumably didn't just wander off immediately after pulling him out of the bonfire).  But the mustache does seem to be Sherlock's default conversation subject in this episode, whenever he has no idea what would be appropriate.  At least this time it didn't get him punched!

I strongly suspect Sherlock did wander off right after he had made sure John was alive and conscious and left him to Mary's medical knowledge and loving care. When John comes to Baker St and interrupts the Holmes parents' visit, it does seem as if they hadn't spoken since the rescue.

I think the mustache kind of symbolizes all that is "wrong" with John before Sherlock comes back. He has aged prematurely, tried to settle down to a boring mundane life and Sherlock knows his friend just isn't made for that and while he might kid himself into believing he likes it, he won't be truly happy until he has a taste of "the thrill of adventure" again.

I think I may have the answer to why a second body was needed for the fall.

I watched the (supposedly real) explanation of the fall frame by frame, and John rounds the corner of the ambulance station (just barely) before the bicycle hits him, so there wouldn't have been time for Sherlock to get "made up" and to "set the stage" as it were, i.e., pour fresh blood on the pavement (John would have to see fresh blood), Sherlock to get into position and get the ball under his arm.

Molly et al threw the body (it was Benedict's stunt double) out the window to take the place of Sherlock immediately so that John would just glance it as he rounded the ambulance station and at that very second, the bicycle hit him.  And while he was out, they were "setting the stage" as I said above.

Anderson was right - it's loaded with WHAT IFS!

Heh, I just watched it too and thought the same thing. It's flimsy, but it makes a certain sense. For some reason the filmmakers thought it was more important to be ambiguous, tho, so we'll never know for sure. But I like this explanation.

I just had a thought about the snipers - why John's sniper was "invited to reconsider" - this particular sniper (as opposed to Mrs. Hudson's and Greg Lestrade's) was in a position to see the airbag, and knew that Sherlock wasn't actually going to die and therefore would have killed John.

The other snipers had no such knowledge, so apparently the ruse went off as planned.  The other reason for the fall, as I see it the main one, was so that Sherlock could go off and dismantle the web.

Oooh, yeah. That's good, that works for me. Again, tho, the filmmakers could've SHOWN us this more clearly... Grump grump grump, this Sherlock show is hard work!

You all are on a roll here, so riddle me this .... why, why, why did John have to be kept in the dark for TWO YEARS? Yeh yeh, cuz Sherlock is a git... :wacko:

You all are on a roll here, so riddle me this .... why, why, why did John have to be kept in the dark for TWO YEARS? Yeh yeh, cuz Sherlock is a git... :wacko:

From Ariane DeVere's transcript:

SHERLOCK: ... I worried that, you know, you might say something indiscreet.

JOHN: What?

SHERLOCK: Well, you know, let the cat out of the bag.

Sherlock claims it was because if John had known, he wouldn't have been able to keep completely silent about it and then Sherlock and Mycroft's elaborate plan would have been spoiled. Sherlock could only "come to life" after he had gotten rid of Moriarty's web entirely. This is more or less the original reason as stated by Mr Holmes.

I suspect that Sherlock always knew, after the phone conversation and the graveyard speech, that he had done something terribly wrong to John. He might have convinced himself that it was all a big joke, but he would be blind and stupid if he didn't get the truth on some level. I don't know whether he ever planned to come back and face his friend again at all.

• Like 1

In the original story, "The Empty House," Holmes tells Watson, "... it was all-important that it be thought I was dead, and it is quite certain that you would not have written so convincing an account of my unhappy end had you not yourself thought that it was true."

So it's canon, which is one of Moftiss's favorite reasons.

But I see that I have failed to address the "two years" part, which was your actual question.  But that's canon too (except that it was even longer there):  "Several times during the last three years I have taken up my pen to write to you, but always I feared lest your affectionate regard for me should tempt you to some indiscretion which would betray my secret."

• Like 1

Dat's .... jus' pitiful. lol.

John is a saint, that's all I gotta say.

Especially in canon -- no punches, he merely fainted when Holmes reappeared, and then he simply accepted Holmes's explanations.

Mm, yeah, my heart goes out to John. And Sherlock starts out by being somewhat of a pain about the whole matter, but still, he does come around.

From Sherlock's point of view, he's expecting John to be delighted to see him again. While I understand John's anger and grief very well, I also understand Sherlock's expectations. This episode did not exactly depict much overwhelming joy from John at getting his best friend back from the dead. I don't doubt that John is very, very happy at the end, but he hides it well. Sherlock must feel sad/disappointed that he does not get the response he's hoping for, even though he comes to an understanding of why John is so angry.

I believe both men hide their feelings to some extent in this situation. John doesn't express his happiness, and Sherlock's doesn't fully express his regret - and probably doesn't fully understand what he's put John through. Initially I wanted him to understand, but that would be a heavy burden to bear, and not one I think John wants to force on him.

• Like 1

...That scene in TRF where Sherlock's sitting on the floor of the lab playing with the squash ball always stood out to me because it reminded me of House (MD) and seemed out of character for Sherlock, but I couldn't figure out why it seemed significant until now. Thoughts?

I didn't catch that!!!! LOVE it when people point out awesomenesses (that's right, awesomenesses) that I didn't notice!!! Thanks Julia!

Love that you referenced the ball chucking and House, it's so true!!! Hubs and I watched House religiously. When hubs started watching the Sherlock series with me he said, "He's like House!" And I was all like... um wrong! (WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!) Totally backwards! ...doofus :lol2:

- The line about London, the "great cesspool" is from "A Study in Scarlet"

I love Cumberbatch's delivery in that voice-over -- straight out of a 30's film noir.

You are so right Carol!

... the bit with Anderson picking out all the what if's (How could you know John would stay in that spot? What if he'd come around? What if someone else had seen you?...) was just another "poking fun at the fans" bit.... All of those "what if's" are ones that we've all seen in speculation on the internet for months, I think it was just their teasing way of pointing out how, it didn't matter how Sherlock did it, there ... would always be some fans who were like "Wait, that doesn't make sense, because what about this?"

Very good point -- both your idea that Moftiss was poking fun at us yet again, and your point that ain't no way they're gonna please everybody. Maybe their best hope of making everyone fairly happy was to at least acknowledge a lot of the theories in this way.

Didn't we all hear it when Sherlock muttered "Everyone's a critic." :lol:

The moment I think really gives Sherlock away for me is when John tells him to use his mind palace, and Sherlock eventually says "Maybe". The way he says it, and the fact that John is the one reminding him what to do, is very suspicious :)

I'm missing your point here and I want to understand! :) Can you say more?

Made a sketch of everything that happened in this episode. Thought I'd share it here.

http://shashu10.tumblr.com/image/73399369090

Anytime i try to use the multi-quote i fail miserably! hence my posts after posts as i catch up to the messages of the present day!

I so enjoyed your sketch shashu!

• Like 1

If Mycroft had kept Moriarty imprisoned indefinitely (which would be illegal here, with no actual charges against him, don't know about the UK) while Sherlock dismantled his network -- he could have built an even better network as soon as he got out.  He needed to be exposed and discredited.  Blowing his own brains out was a nice bonus.

Still gotta feel sorry for him, though.  In a way.

Gotta feel sorry for Moriarty?  I'm missing something...