• 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

I love them all.

Reichenbach is excellent and upsetting cos of John.

But it's ancient history now...and I feel a bit the same about HLV.

That's exactly why the latest episode always tends to be my favourite...the story is up to date.

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's precisely why I love Reichenbach.  But (at least for me) HLV goes *too* far in that direction.

I suspect I was not as emotionally invested in the character of Sherlock the first time I saw Reichenbach; I was still playing catch-up on the series at that point. I'm willing to bet that if I'd seen the first season when it first aired, then had to wait a couple years only to be confronted with TRF, I'd have felt pretty much the same. (Plus I missed all the frenzy of "how did he do it," which I sort of regret.) As it was, when HLV came along, I was still in the throes of new passion. :smile: 

Wow, this is only my second hiatus. How did you all stand it?

• Like 2

I'm quite ashamed about my first one...

I was most put out we didn't get S2 a year after S1.

I soon learned! Ha.

Now, I have to say, I can of assume it isn't coming back...

and will just be thrilled if it did.

• Like 1

I'm sort of the same; not expecting to see it again, not really daring to hope, but will be thrilled if it does. Besides, a five-season arc is more aesthetically pleasing. :smile:

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I suspect I was not as emotionally invested in the character of Sherlock the first time I saw Reichenbach; I was still playing catch-up on the series at that point. I'm willing to bet that if I'd seen the first season when it first aired, then had to wait a couple years only to be confronted with TRF, I'd have felt pretty much the same. (Plus I missed all the frenzy of "how did he do it," which I sort of regret.) As it was, when HLV came along, I was still in the throes of new passion. :smile: 

It's not a hiatus for me at all, I consider the series finished and am perfectly happy with that. I don't usually let myself get emotionally invested in unfinished works. That Sherlock finally has an ending that, for me at least, is pretty satisfactory, is doing wonders for my peace of mind! :lol:

• Like 2

I mean for me, I have to say that things were made easy to get into perspective by real life priorities taking over...namely the suicide of my husband, 2 years ago.

But I have never invested in a TV show like I have Sherlock, well at least not as an adult.

I also have to say that I think if the team had actually made it clear that this was the end, at least for a while. But...

well I don't want to go on anymore about it.

I was very happy with the ending...I am just greedy for more!

• Like 1

I'm really torn on whether or not I want a series 5.  I want it for two reasons:  1) I just want more Sherlock; I'm not ready to say goodbye.  2) I want more resolution between Sherlock and Molly.  I felt that was left open-ended.  BUT... being an X-Files fan, sometimes you're better off not getting what you ask for.  It's possible a new season could bring more uncertainties/not be as good.  But I'll probably always be hoping for more.  Heck, I'd probably watch more X-Files even if i expected it to be a disaster.   lol

• Like 1

Oh I have never shipped Sherlock and Molly.

I love their beautiful friendship.

Almost as much as I love the friendship of Sherlock and John!

41 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Oh I have never shipped Sherlock and Molly.

I love their beautiful friendship.

Almost as much as I love the friendship of Sherlock and John!

I think I'm one of the very few here.

1 hour ago, sittything said:

I'm really torn on whether or not I want a series 5.  I want it for two reasons:  1) I just want more Sherlock; I'm not ready to say goodbye.  2) I want more resolution between Sherlock and Molly.  I felt that was left open-ended.  BUT... being an X-Files fan, sometimes you're better off not getting what you ask for.  It's possible a new season could bring more uncertainties/not be as good.  But I'll probably always be hoping for more.  Heck, I'd probably watch more X-Files even if i expected it to be a disaster.   lol

Just crawling out of my heart shaped sherlolly coffin to say I also want more Sherlock and Molly! Actually it kind of alarmed me that they left such an open-ended ending as I can't really imagine how they would satisfyingly pick it up. Don't even talk to me about The X files, my first television true love. I would also watch more even though they really botched the end of the reboot imo.

I really want more Sherlock, even if I end up complaining about it I don't care, I still want more. 😭

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Arcadia said:

There have really been only three hiatuses (hiati?), since I have the impression that there wasn't much of a fandom till after Series 2, so I'd say you didn't miss too much, other than, as you mentioned, the howdhedoit.

As for a fifth series, I'm  definitely rooting for it -- with a side order of be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

It's not a hiatus for me at all, I consider the series finished and am perfectly happy with that. I don't usually let myself get emotionally invested in unfinished works. That Sherlock finally has an ending that, for me at least, is pretty satisfactory, is doing wonders for my peace of mind! :lol:

That is a very sane and sensible reaction, Tobe. I, alas, seem to have lost my mind the moment Sherlock whipped that damn scarf off his neck in Scandal, and am no longer capable of sense or sensibility. :D 

15 hours ago, besleybean said:

But I have never invested in a TV show like I have Sherlock, well at least not as an adult.

I also have to say that I think if the team had actually made it clear that this was the end, ...

15 hours ago, sittything said:

I want it for two reasons:  1) I just want more Sherlock; I'm not ready to say goodbye.  2) I want more resolution between Sherlock and Molly.  I felt that was left open-ended. 

14 hours ago, bedelia1984 said:

I really want more Sherlock, even if I end up complaining about it I don't care, I still want more. 😭

Same here, y'all. Same here. 

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

hiatuses (hiati?)

:rofl: How about "gaps?" :P

I'm counting this as the fourth one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm counting this as the fourth one.

Yeah, technically it is.  But the first hiatus wasn't a Thing, as far as I'm aware.  Maybe there was already a nascent fandom on Tumblr or something, but there were no dedicated forums till after Series 2 -- and *that* one was a hiatus for sure!

I do wish we had more of a conclusive answer if we're getting a season 5 or not.  I think the not knowing is the worst part.  It's like waiting for something you don't even know that you're going to get.  Yet, I want to keep hope that we will until someone says we're not b/c the alternative is entirely too depressing for me to contemplate right now.

• Like 1

Sherlock and Molly fan here. I love Reichenbach because it was the first episode I saw, (during a marathon of the first two seasons). The rooftop confrontation just grabbed me and I was hooked by the mesmerizing character of Sherlock and his line about not being  one of the angels. I also love the interaction between Sherlock and Molly and was surprised by his attitude toward her in other episodes. In Reichenbach he treats her as a trusted friend so I was confused at his dismissive treatment of her most of the time.

18 hours ago, kimber8ada said:

In Reichenbach he treats her as a trusted friend so I was confused at his dismissive treatment of her most of the time.

In Reichenbach, he needed her.   ;)   And starting with that episode, he does seem to have more respect for her -- on average -- as time goes by.

• Like 2

Just catching up on this stuff and just let me educate you Noobs. Ha! 

1.  The very FIRST Sherlock Forum I am aware of(and joined) started before Series One even aired. Set up by  a guy who had heard the show was happening.

2. The FIRST Hiatus was indeed between S1 and 2 because I suffered from it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're right, Bev, there was an online Sherlock discussion way back (I posted a link to it here), but it was technically just a thread on a larger forum (TWoP or Television Without Pity, which unfortunately no longer exists).  The two major dedicated Sherlock forums both started shortly after Reichenbach was aired, so I tend to consider that the beginning of major Sherlock fandom.

As for my "only three hiatuses" comment, I must admit to having miscounted somehow (that's what I get for doing higher math while wearing mittens), but then rationalizing that the first one wasn't a "real" hiatus because I spent it merely hoping there'd be more, rather than obsessing over it.

No the one I belonged to was very active, it was called Sherlocking.

It ended not long after S1 had aired, because the site was maliciously hacked.

But most of us then went over to the very active Baker Street Supper Club and that was still in 2010 and lasted for years.

• Like 1

Thanks, Bev!  I never heard of either of those, though I had searched for a Sherlock forum right after S2 aired in the UK, and found nothing.  I repeated the search a couple months later, and found both of the current forums.

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I must admit to having miscounted somehow (that's what I get for doing higher math while wearing mittens)

???? Mittens? In August?

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

???? Mittens? In August?

Hey, you do excuses your way, and I'll do 'em my way!   :P   I worked hard on that one!

• Haha 1