• 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

I suppose Mary will remain a sore spot in the fandom.

And it makes for a very interesting hiatus. With TGG, the fandom more or less headed into the same direction. Sherlock and John had to get out of the swimming pool alive. With TRF, we knew the destination but everybody had to find their own way to it. Sherlock survived, so we spend the hiatus pondering on the how's and why's, as well as his reintroduction to London.

With HLV, we suddenly are less interested in a destination, or in heading forward. We are stuck (willingly, too!), and I wonder if for once the ships will clash. Up until now, I've seen almost no shipping wars and character bashing. It's a very peaceful fandom. I love that. I wonder if there will be some more tension now that we are somewhat aimlessly floating around in fandom space.

Just an observation. For once this hiatus will be about lots of head canons clashing, especially since there is no true or wrong answer.

Maybe we'll get more manifestos. Sherlock Fandom is productive but I've seen more meta on character analysis than on relationship analysis (except with Mycroft & Sherlock - there have been a lot of meta essays on their interactions and speculations on their childhood).

And it makes for a very interesting hiatus.

Oh, doesn't it! I've always been more interested in characters than in plot (although of course the latter is needed to illustrate the former and I do not enjoy weak stories), so personally, I'm very content to aimlessly float around Mary and disagree with anybody in sight. (And if I start being obnoxious about it, please let me know... ;) )

I'm in two minds about Mary myself. On the one hand, I like her as a character and I think the actress does a really good job with limited opportunities, script-wise. I like her and John as a couple and I am happy for John that he finally found somebody. On the other hand, it would be nice to have John back at Baker St at some point. Well, we'll see what where they go with the story and all I ask for is that they don't make poor John grieve again. And no more fake deaths!

Oh, god, I should be the last one to tell somebody that they are being obnoxious. I am pretty stubborn about things like that. Not one of my best traits :) So as long as you will suffer me, I'll gladly suffer you, too.

I want John back at 221B, too. We've had a very introspective season, now let's get back to riddles, and bromance, and the characters having a blast.

I wouldn't mind if she died, but it makes for unnecessary drama. I had hoped she'd cut all ties on her own, as one gesture of atonement. Didn't get that. I came to terms with the fact that no matter what Mary will do, I won't respect her. The window of opportunity to "get back into my good graces" has closed, I fear. It's why I really struggle with accepting other people's head canon concerning her. I am too good at holding grudges. 

One more reason why I want Victor Trevor to make an appearance. John does not feel the imbalance in their friendship because Sherlock's complete attention rests on him whenever he gets around. I'd like him to be the one to feel left out for once. The one to leave in silence while Sherlock's having fun. Just to get some sort of balance back into their friendship. And to see him make an effort. He's allowed himself to be swept away by Sherlock's decisions. Even at the end, it's more of an "okay, let's not change anything" decision when he takes Mary back.

This should be possible with any other character, e.g. Lestrade, but I feel like it would work best with someone John totally cannot relate to. A stranger who makes him feel left out but who reminds him enough of something familiar (Sherlock, himself, Harry, whatever...) for it to make him deeply uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I still think Mary is a 'wrong 'un' - she has 'protection' if she stays with John, he can protect her in various ways. If she left, she is probably in

danger from who ever hired her to kill people. She may be biding her time and have ' a plan.' :shoot::watson::sherlock2:

Maybe Janine?

I wouldn't say Janine had a real connection with Sherlock. Not the kind I am thinking about. Yes, they actually get on, but their bond is not deep enough to compete with the one he has got with John. I believe they could have "clicked" but they didn't, and there's not that much room for somebody new in Sherlock's life. He is rather focused on John. That's why I think it has to be someone he already relates to, or once related to. Janine is more of a novelty, there's not much John can reminisce about. I really itch for that "oh, that was once me on your side" feeling, not only the "that's my armchair you are sitting in, that is my cup you are drinking from" feeling. I don't want Sherlock to replace John or anything. I just want John to acknowledge once that Sherlock might stop paying attention to him if he doesn't pay attention to Sherlock. I want Sherlock to regain some emotional independency. We get that somewhat when he asks Molly to accompany him but there's the underlying tone of "John left me, so... would you fill in for him". I want Sherlock's attention on somebody else. Not because he wants to prove a point to himself, John, or whomever. Just because he finds somebody else interesting. Not in the "you are a riddle to me" way (Irene Adler) but in the "I know you, and you know me" way.

Dunno if that makes sense.

• Like 1

I've a few questions in my mind while re-watching HLV.

What was the problem with putting Sherlock in an actual prison? I know Mycroft thinks that no prison can hold Sherlock or causes riot in daily basis. But prisoners even Sherlock can be kept in some prison cells where escapade can be impossible. Riots can be controlled, besides murdering a man can destroy Sherlock's reputation. His explation seems a bit inappropriate to me. So why Mycroft thinks like that?

I was wondering about that myself, it doesn't make sense to me. Even if there were prison riots, so what? That's why the guards are there. It just seemed to me a really lame excuse on Mycroft's part for keeping Sherlock out of prison. (And why would the other people in the room buy it? Oh well.)

I have a theory that Mycroft himself is faking Moriarty's "reappearance" -- as a way of rescuing Sherlock from exile. I kinda hope so, cuz I think it would be cool to see Mycroft and Sherlock in a duel of wits. :-)

I wouldn't say Janine had a real connection with Sherlock. Not the kind I am thinking about. Yes, they actually get on, but their bond is not deep enough to compete with the one he has got with John. I believe they could have "clicked" but they didn't, and there's not that much room for somebody new in Sherlock's life. He is rather focused on John. That's why I think it has to be someone he already relates to, or once related to. Janine is more of a novelty, there's not much John can reminisce about. I really itch for that "oh, that was once me on your side" feeling, not only the "that's my armchair you are sitting in, that is my cup you are drinking from" feeling. I don't want Sherlock to replace John or anything. I just want John to acknowledge once that Sherlock might stop paying attention to him if he doesn't pay attention to Sherlock. I want Sherlock to regain some emotional independency. We get that somewhat when he asks Molly to accompany him but there's the underlying tone of "John left me, so... would you fill in for him". I want Sherlock's attention on somebody else. Not because he wants to prove a point to himself, John, or whomever. Just because he finds somebody else interesting. Not in the "you are a riddle to me" way (Irene Adler) but in the "I know you, and you know me" way.

Dunno if that makes sense.

It does make sense, yes. And to let you in on a little secret (well, not secret anymore now, since I'm blurting it all over the world wide web, aren't I), I have actually spent quite some time myself pondering on how one could do an adaptation of "The Gloria Scott" on "Sherlock". Two things set me off: First, Sherlock saying in A Study in Pink that he needs an assistant, which sounded as if he used to have one at some point. And second, Mary saying to John "neither of us were a first". I'd be very curious to see how much better and cleverer Moffat and Gatiss's take on Victor Trevor and Holmes "first case" concerning his father would turn out than my own.

On the other hand, I am wary of more new characters. I could already have done without Janine (although I do like her now) or Bill Wiggins. The "Sherlock" characters have a way of taking on a life of their own and becoming too interesting to appear only in a few scenes and I feel that already, the episodes suffer from the need to bring everybody in regularly and do them justice. I think it would be wiser if they slimmed the cast down to the way it was in series 1 and kept the focus firmly the way it was back then (on our two heroes at Baker St).

And it makes for a very interesting hiatus. With TGG, the fandom more or less headed into the same direction. Sherlock and John had to get out of the swimming pool alive. With TRF ... we spend the hiatus pondering on the how's and why's, as well as his reintroduction to London.

With HLV ... I wonder if for once ... there will be some more tension ... lots of head canons clashing, especially since there is no true or wrong answer.

Maybe we'll get more manifestos....

I will admit to being just a bit weary already.  As you say, there are no right or wrong answers, it's all about interpretations, and none of us know what direction Moftiss will take us, or even what established facts will be flouted next.

I was not involved in Sherlock fandom during the first hiatus, and I frankly did not consider the pool scene to be much of a cliffhanger, since it seemed obvious that Sherlock and John would survive.  So I was simply looking forward to more Sherlock.

I went looking for the fandom shortly after "Reichenbach," and have been on this forum ever since.  Things were not quite as serene here as you seem to assume, because some members were passionately wedded to their (opposing) theories.  There were definitely some rocky moments.  But even though I had my own theory, I didn't too much care whether I was "right" or not, I just wanted more Sherlock.

Now instead of opposing survival theories, it's opposing views of Mary, which I find much more wearing because for once I do care.  I care about Mary -- or to be more precise, I care very much about John and he cares about Mary.  So if John's OK with her and Sherlock's OK with her, I'm not about to argue with them.  And I'll be on the lookout for any plausible interpretation of events that's consistent with their acceptance of her.  (Just in case you hadn't noticed!   ;)  )

• Like 3

I am firmly of the "Mary is a psychopath" camp, of course, and could happily argue about it from here to eternity, but I will certainly try not to be obnoxious about it. I care about the characters, as we all do, but ultimately they are just figments of someone's imagination. Of course, they seem more real because they are brought to life by some very gifted actors.

I suppose one reason why we take such strongly held positions regarding Mary is that there are moral issues involved. On one side, there are those who believe that Mary's love for John excuses her actions, and that his love for her justifies him turning a blind eye to her past and forgiving her for hurting his friend. On the other side, there are those of us who believe that shooting an innocent, unarmed man is inexcusable, and that John's behaviour seems like moral cowardice. Personally, I can live with the idea of Mary as a ruthless killer but I don't like the way John's character has developed in this series. Maybe it would be a good idea if Victor Trevor, or someone like him, turned up to remind John that Sherlock is not wholly dependent on him and that he needs to start being a better friend.

Well, really, I just want John back at 221B, minus wife and baby, and back to being the good man and loyal friend we once knew. I am hoping Mary will decide to flee into permanent hiding and take Watson Jr with her.

• Like 1

I concur. Well I love Fox's idea of Miss Watson Junior being brought up by Sherlock's and Mycroft's parents (since they have no grandchildren of their own to spoil, nor do any seem likely), but the sooner Mary is out of the show, the better. I must admit I don't particularly care which way ... the moment she shot at Sherlock (and never even showed a shred of remorse for that act), I stopped caring about her.

Like you, I'm way more disappointed in John than her, though. John was supposed to be the good one :unsure:.

But mostly, I want the show that I grew to love back. I want to see the boys back together as true friends in 221B, by fair means or foul.

• Like 1

What did I miss?  Why the talk about The Gloria Scott and Victor Trevor?  (I mean, of course I know them from the canon, but why the talk of them here?)  Thanks.

What did I miss?  Why the talk about The Gloria Scott and Victor Trevor?  (I mean, of course I know them from the canon, but why the talk of them here?)  Thanks.

After the shock fest that "His Last Vow" turned out to be, people, understandably, were very upset with Mary.....not to mention John for seemingly to forgive her so easily for shooting and very nearly killing Sherlock.

Then the brilliant T.o.b.y discovered that in the story "The Gloria Scott", Victor Trevor's father found himself to be in the very same situation as Mary. A good man, forced by circumstances to do things that he never, ever, would have normally done i.e. kill people.

It does make sense, yes. And to let you in on a little secret (well, not secret anymore now, since I'm blurting it all over the world wide web, aren't I), I have actually spent quite some time myself pondering on how one could do an adaptation of "The Gloria Scott" on "Sherlock". Two things set me off: First, Sherlock saying in A Study in Pink that he needs an assistant, which sounded as if he used to have one at some point. And second, Mary saying to John "neither of us were a first". I'd be very curious to see how much better and cleverer Moffat and Gatiss's take on Victor Trevor and Holmes "first case" concerning his father would turn out than my own.

On the other hand, I am wary of more new characters. I could already have done without Janine (although I do like her now) or Bill Wiggins. The "Sherlock" characters have a way of taking on a life of their own and becoming too interesting to appear only in a few scenes and I feel that already, the episodes suffer from the need to bring everybody in regularly and do them justice. I think it would be wiser if they slimmed the cast down to the way it was in series 1 and kept the focus firmly the way it was back then (on our two heroes at Baker St).

I totally agree. And I also think that there is a wider character pool than before, and it is a danger, definitely. (Well, there will be a spot open when Mary leaves... *wishful thinking*). I wouldn't mind Victor gone after one episode. I actually think he couldn't be a protagonist. The idea behind Victor is more like.. someone that comes and goes in Sherlock's life but never stays because that's not how their friendship/relationship works. I think it would be bad to make him a regular. Definitely.

I went looking for the fandom shortly after "Reichenbach," and have been on this forum ever since.  Things were not quite as serene here as you seem to assume, because some members were passionately wedded to their (opposing) theories.  There were definitely some rocky moments.  But even though I had my own theory, I didn't too much care whether I was "right" or not, I just wanted more Sherlock.

I joined the Sherlock forum shortly after TRF. I found the discourse rather inspiring, to be honest. Sure, there was some tension, but I feel like Sherlock is a very mature and friendly fandom. The last big fandom I was hooked on was Harry Potter, and, well, it was younger (age of fans) and there was rarely peace. So maybe that's why I consider this fandom rather peaceful. 

I agree, though. TRF led to some heated discussions.

I suppose one reason why we take such strongly held positions regarding Mary is that there are moral issues involved. On one side, there are those who believe that Mary's love for John excuses her actions, and that his love for her justifies him turning a blind eye to her past and forgiving her for hurting his friend. On the other side, there are those of us who believe that shooting an innocent, unarmed man is inexcusable, and that John's behaviour seems like moral cowardice. Personally, I can live with the idea of Mary as a ruthless killer but I don't like the way John's character has developed in this series. Maybe it would be a good idea if Victor Trevor, or someone like him, turned up to remind John that Sherlock is not wholly dependent on him and that he needs to start being a better friend.

Well, really, I just want John back at 221B, minus wife and baby, and back to being the good man and loyal friend we once knew. I am hoping Mary will decide to flee into permanent hiding and take Watson Jr with her.

I second your statement on the moral issue dividing the fandom. 

And god, sometimes I feel like you are like a long lost twin. You put my wishes for season four quite well.

That's my fault :)

I brought up the idea that I would like him to appear in season 4 to bring back some balance in John and Sherlock's friendship.

After the shock fest that "His Last Vow" turned out to be, people, understandably, were very upset with Mary.....not to mention John for seemingly to forgive her so easily for shooting and very nearly killing Sherlock.

Then the brilliant T.o.b.y discovered that in the story "The Gloria Scott", Victor Trevor's father found himself to be in the very same situation as Mary. A good man, forced by circumstances to do things that he never, ever, would have normally done i.e. kill people.

Oh yes, I remember.  Right, thanks.

That's really it for me as well.  I like Mary well enough, as written.  However, I'm disappointed that John, the character I most identify with, has forgiven her.  They were right to have alluded that it took months of silence before he came to terms with all that had happened, but it would be never for me.  I wouldn't miss her if she were gone. 

• Like 1

And it makes for a very interesting hiatus......With HLV, we suddenly are less interested in a destination, or in heading forward. We are stuck (willingly, too!), and I wonder if for once the ships will clash. Up until now, I've seen almost no shipping wars and character bashing. It's a very peaceful fandom. I love that. I wonder if there will be some more tension now that we are somewhat aimlessly floating around in fandom space.

Just an observation. For once this hiatus will be about lots of head canons clashing, especially since there is no true or wrong answer.

(Emphasis mine in the quote above)

I think this sort of show (cerebral) lends itself more to a deeper fan base as opposed to a rabid, angry, "OMG, how dare they...the entire franchise has been destroyed" fan base.  I'm a moderator on a Star Wars board and I don't have to tell you how fractured and at-war that fan base is (with each other, with Lucas, and even the story itself).  I'm a fan of a tiny portion of that franchise, but I still have my hands full with keeping the sides at bay.  Star Trek is the same, divided.  Granted, those are film & TV franchises which are decades old, spanning multiple generations and cultural trends.  That said;  I still don't see this franchise, modern or classic, having that type of divide.  Doctor Who and James Bond are somewhere in between.

On-topic;  I like the state of the story going into this hiatus.  Nothing even close to a cliff-hanger.  This ended in such a way as to give us a moment to catch our breath, which I think we need.  A lot has happened.  I also think the story's end was set-up with this hiatus in mind.  They knew they would be taking an extended break.  Not asking your fan base to wait two years for a specific answer to something is the right thing to do.  It's respectful to the fans. 

• Like 1

I will admit to being just a bit weary already.  As you say, there are no right or wrong answers, it's all about interpretations, and none of us know what direction Moftiss will take us, or even what established facts will be flouted next.

I was not involved in Sherlock fandom during the first hiatus, and I frankly did not consider the pool scene to be much of a cliffhanger, since it seemed obvious that Sherlock and John would survive.  So I was simply looking forward to more Sherlock.

Now instead of opposing survival theories, it's opposing views of Mary, which I find much more wearing because for once I do care.  I care about Mary -- or to be more precise, I care very much about John and he cares about Mary.  So if John's OK with her and Sherlock's OK with her, I'm not about to argue with them.  And I'll be on the lookout for any plausible interpretation of events that's consistent with their acceptance of her.  (Just in case you hadn't noticed!   ;)  )

Oh, sorry to be wearying... I love interpretation games with no clearly right or wrong solution, so this is just up my ally. Sorry.

As for Mary dear (sorry, in my mind, character names quickly get expanded on and Mary has long since become "dear Mistress Mary" to me, don't ask me why... maybe because of the old child rhyme that ends in "contrary"), I think I am mostly with you: if Sherlock and John both decide Mary is "one of them", then she should be and I too look for an interpretation that makes sense of their acceptance and continued regard. I do wish the writers had made that kind of interpretation a bit easier, but hey, what would there be left to discuss if they had. Besides, Mary herself was quite a pleasant surprise to me. I never cared for the original version (she was way too perfect for my liking), and while I was a bit disappointed that her "big secret" was something corny like "CIA trained assassin" (I am afraid that, like Sherlock, I always want everything to be clever), this is way better in my opinion than Doyle's "sweet caring angel who is so boring nobody ever mentions her again after she dies". Amanda Abbington's Mary really is a person. In spite of all the sensational details, I find her believable, I can relate to her. I'd love to have her as a colleague. I'm sure she's a great nurse. And I find her pleasing to look at and listen to, I won't deny that superficial aspect of my approval.

But. But, I am afraid that deep down inside, I am something of a "shipper" (I even hate that expression). I honestly don't want Sherlock and John to end up as lovers in the physical sense, but for me, the show did work best when it was those two "against the rest of the world", whether I like that or not. In the original stories, my favorite part is Holmes' return and Watson's move back to Baker St, where, with a revolver in his pocket and the thrill of adventure in his heart, it is "indeed like old times". If they can do something like that on Sherlock and it means Mary has to leave, so be it. I wouldn't complain, I think.

To sum this up, there is one scenario which I believe the characters would like best (the Watsons stay happily married) and one that I have to grudgingly admit I would like a little better (the Watsons split up and John goes back to where he came from). These characters feel so real to me, however, that I even feel a little guilty for expecting more enjoyment from a storyline that would be bad for them. (I know, that is very silly).

So, I am undecided. And happy to interpret and analyze and ponder around aimlessly until series 4.

• Like 2

So, I am undecided. And happy to interpret and analyze and ponder around aimlessly until series 4.

I think that's a nice transition. 

It's funny. There was never a deep analysis of season three's events after HLV. Mary took up too much space.

The only thing I considered so far is Mycroft's role in HLV but I didn't go back to the other episodes since then. Worth another look in the next days.

I think that's a nice transition. 

It's funny. There was never a deep analysis of season three's events after HLV. Mary took up too much space.

The only thing I considered so far is Mycroft's role in HLV but I didn't go back to the other episodes since then. Worth another look in the next days.

Always worth another look! And another, and another, and another... Don't look to me for "deep analysis", though -  my brain kind of shuts down at the sight (and sound) of the main character. At least Sherlock is never disappointing. So far, I have whole-heartedly enjoyed every moment he was on screen and there is really no other character in film or television for whom I can say that.

I don't quite understand why some don't like the way John has developed this series or think he's not being a good enough friend. What's wrong? To me, he seems like the good old John Watson he always was, only happier and more sure of himself because he has finally found the woman he was looking for. Sure, he stands up to Sherlock more. But that doesn't mean being a worse friend, does it. In some situations, it's probably even better for Sherlock if John pipes up and tells him what to do (although he has more than enough "Sherlock, what do we do now? What's the plan?" moments).

P.S.: If you want me to gush, just mention the wedding...

• Like 2

For me the only reason John seemed so different in these three episodes is that he's pretty much kept on edge and in shock most of the time. First someone who he was close to and grieved for 2 years suddenly shows up, very much alive and cheeky.

He not only gets drugged, but gets thrown into the heart of a bon fire.

Then he believes he about to be blown up by a huge bomb.

And only in the first episode.

In the second episode, things are pretty calm for the most part except that your best friend and best man is micro managing your wedding, gifting the way under age page boy with crime scene photos. Beheadings....lovely little village that it is. And disrupting the reception not only with an emotional speech that insults, upsets, makes everyone cry then laugh in turn, while conducting the murder investigation of an officer you respect no end all at the same time. This had to be stressful for John no end.

In the third episode:

He finds his recovering drug addict flat mate in a drug den, is told that he tests positive for drugs. Then Sherlock strong arms his brother, reveals that he has a girlfriend....well...maybe no to stressful but surprising....then his flat was invaded by a bottom feeder who uses the fireplace as a latrine. Break into a penthouse, someone shoots his best friend. Finds out it was his own wife who was that particular shooter. Is forced to take her on as a client. Finds out that his best friend is capable of drugging not only his whole family, but his pregnant wife as well. Suffers the shock of watching this cerebral, best friend shoot someone in the head. Then forced to say goodbye to this same man who he mourned for two years fly away, apparently never to see each other again.

I think this whole thing was probably overwhelming emotionally and psychologically.

• Like 3

:D When you put it like that, Fox, it's something of a miracle John still has any sanity left - but then, he thrives on danger and excitement, doesn't he, even if he sometimes might wish he didn't. Yeah, you are right, it seems that ever since the Reichenbach Fall, at least, he didn't have a quiet moment. Of course, we never see what the rest of his year was like, we're only given glimpses of the eventful bits. Still, those should last an ordinary person for a lifetime.

I wonder how long it took John to really forgive Sherlock for what he did to him by making him the main witness of his fake suicide, especially since no truly good reason for his behavior has transpired (as far as we know).  I've read some complaints about John just "letting" Sherlock throw his life away to kill Magnussen and protect Mary. I still don't think there would have been anything John could have done about that and no way he could have prevented Mycroft and his people from sending Sherlock away. On a more "poetic" level, I feel Sherlock owed John something like that. One of the "themes" of series 3 is "the long atonement", in my opinion, and in that context, the ending made a lot of sense to me.

• Like 1

I don't quite understand why some don't like the way John has developed this series or think he's not being a good enough friend. What's wrong? To me, he seems like the good old John Watson he always was, only happier and more sure of himself because he has finally found the woman he was looking for. Sure, he stands up to Sherlock more. But that doesn't mean being a worse friend, does it. In some situations, it's probably even better for Sherlock if John pipes up and tells him what to do (although he has more than enough "Sherlock, what do we do now? What's the plan?" moments).

P.S.: If you want me to gush, just mention the wedding...

Well, he hasn't seen Sherlock for a month when HLV sets in. Sure, not seeing somebody goes two-ways but it is a huge contrast when one remembers the statement before his wedding that things would not change. 

There is the fact that Sherlock had Janine over and maybe didn't want him to visit. On the other hand he all too eagerly includes John after they meet by chance. He doesn't prefer to work alone on the case, that's why I doubt he actively kept John at bay. Apparently they did grow apart due to John's marriage. 

Then there's the moral issue we wanted to leave behind us. Some argue (me included) that a good friend should never forgive the one that hurts one's friend in a non-life-threatening situation. Even if that person forgives the perpetrator, a friend should not forgive the wrong-doer on behalf of the wronged. It's a matter of loyality and caring to request justice for the wronged friend.

Then there's the lack of a protective gesture at Appledore. While it would not have served any practical purpose, it would have been nice to have John try to shield Sherlock or tell him to stop this, that Mary was not worth alienating his family. It wouldn't have stopped Sherlock but it would have been a welcome gesture of friendship.

Another point some have brought up is the goodbye scene. 

I think that's it. I might have forgotten something but that's everything I remember from the previous almost 50 pages.

Personally I agree with some points, not all. I prefer to address reproaches to Mary instead of John XD

But from a purely objective view John has been neglecting their friendship due to having other priorities. It's all too easy to see cracks in their relationship now.

It's John's right to value other things about this friendship but I don't think this is fruitful soil for seasons to come. 

• Like 2

Well, he hasn't seen Sherlock for a month when HLV sets in. Sure, not seeing somebody goes two-ways but it is a huge contrast when one remembers the statement before his wedding that things would not change. 

There is the fact that Sherlock had Janine over and maybe didn't want him to visit. On the other hand he all too eagerly includes John after they meet by chance. He doesn't prefer to work alone on the case, that's why I doubt he actively kept John at bay. Apparently they did grow apart due to John's marriage. 

Then there's the moral issue we wanted to leave behind us. Some argue (me included) that a good friend should never forgive the one that hurts one's friend in a non-life-threatening situation. Even if that person forgives the perpetrator, a friend should not forgive the wrong-doer on behalf of the wronged. It's a matter of loyality and caring to request justice for the wronged friend.

Then there's the lack of a protective gesture at Appledore. While it would not have served any practical purpose, it would have been nice to have John try to shield Sherlock or tell him to stop this, that Mary was not worth alienating his family. It wouldn't have stopped Sherlock but it would have been a welcome gesture of friendship.

Another point some have brought up is the goodbye scene. 

I think that's it. I might have forgotten something but that's everything I remember from the previous almost 50 pages.

Personally I agree with some points, not all. I prefer to address reproaches to Mary instead of John XD

But from a purely objective view John has been neglecting their friendship due to having other priorities. It's all too easy to see cracks in their relationship now.

It's hJohn's right to value other things about this friendship but I don't think this is fruitful soil for seasons to come. 

Ah-h-h-h - disagreement material! May the weary ignore the following...

- Not seen each other for a month: So what. Do we know how much they used to see each other before series 3? If Sherlock is anything like the original Mr Holmes, he would be prone to just taking off halfway around the world or to some obscure corner of London without a word of warning and then return weeks later with maybe a few bruises, maybe a mysterious smile. He never seemed like the type who hangs around his best friend 24/7, no matter how much he likes him. Some things are best taken care of on one's own (and if Sherlock were anything like me, he'd need to be alone sometimes...) Besides, imagine he'd called up John and told him, "listen, I'm going to hang out in a drug den for a while and maybe get high while I'm at it, but it's all for a case, so put it on your blog and make sure it hits the papers, okay? Oh, and don't tell my brother". Hm. I doubt that would have worked.

- The moral question: So some think John should be more angry on Sherlock's behalf than Sherlock is himself? Why? John usually goes with what his "commanding officer" says and besides, Sherlock is doing his best to get John to make up with Mary - why would it be loyalty towards him to thwart those plans?

- Appledore: If it doesn't serve any practical purpose then why should John do something like you suggest. He's John Watson, I've never seen him waste much energy on great gestures before (okay, we might argue that talking to a dead man didn't serve much practical purpose either). He's not the romantic on this show at all, that is Sherlock, even though he'd never admit it. I think John's face after Sherlock shoots Magnussen and the little he does utter in shock and dismay are quite enough to convey his feelings about the matter. And besides, Mary is his beloved wife, she is worth a lot

Of course John has other priorities. He's married and he's got on with his life. The latter, Sherlock can thank himself (and his brother) for. But all things considered, I think they're still as close as friends can be. (And I love the good bye scene, I think it's heartbreaking). 

• Like 2