• 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

I just find it fascinating to play with the idea that what Watson is telling us may not be quite true...

Have you read The Seven Percent Solution?  I have not, but intend to as soon as I find the copy I inherited from my father.  (It's gotta be around here somewhere....)  As I understand it, the premise is that the whole fake-death-at-Reichenbach thing was Watson's cover-up for the truth, namely that Holmes had been in drug rehab.  I hear that the book is better than the movie (even though Nicholas Meyer did both).

There are times when ACD's Watson actually tells us that he's not entirely leveling with us (in order to protect the privacy of innocent parties, etc.), so I see no reason to believe that there aren't times when he goes even further afield.

Nope haven't seen or read. The idea is interesting, but I don't know if I like the idea of something fantastic being revealed as a fake cover for something, well, a bit dull. 

I've read it. I don't remember a thing about it except that I liked it, and a little bit about the ending. (Which for years I thought was canon.) I was also aware, even at the time, that there were a lot of ACD references that were going right over my head, probably more than I realized. :smile: 

Never read it, but I like the movie.

If anyone is interested, I've fleshed out what might have happened during Sherlock's week in solitary.  It is in canon with the show.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/11262213/chapters/25180593

• Like 2

Not sure where to put this but this is a great video essay on how Sherlock uses its editing to aid its visual storytelling:

• Like 3

On 20/06/2017 at 10:11 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Have you read The Seven Percent Solution?  I have not, but intend to as soon as I find the copy I inherited from my father.  (It's gotta be around here somewhere....)  As I understand it, the premise is that the whole fake-death-at-Reichenbach thing was Watson's cover-up for the truth, namely that Holmes had been in drug rehab.  I hear that the book is better than the movie (even though Nicholas Meyer did both).

There are times when ACD's Watson actually tells us that he's not entirely leveling with us (in order to protect the privacy of innocent parties, etc.), so I see no reason to believe that there aren't times when he goes even further afield.

The book is very good Carol. So is the movie in my opinion.👍

Youre right about the premise which is basically:

Holmes (played by Nicol Williamson) is addicted to cocaine and obsessively persecuting Professor Moriarty, played by Sit Lawrence Olivier (who it turns out had an affair with Holmes mother. His father shot her after finding them together.) Watson (played by Robert Duvall)and Mycroft (played by Charles Grey who was Mycroft in the Brett series) conspire to get Holmes to Vienna to see Sigmund Freud (played by Alan Arkin). It does give an alternative take on The Geat Hiatus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mummy and Dad Holmes's house is up for sale!  Wonder where they've moved to?

Maybe they re-located to Sherrinford to be close to their daughter.

• Like 1

Or maybe they're moving to London so they can spend more time with their sons -- who are no doubt thrilled by the prospect!

Which somehow reminds me -- I came across a British term that seems to be used a good bit on the internet but never defined.  What is a shared-occupancy flat?

Judging by how it's used, it's not quite what it sounds like, which would be either a roommate situation like Sherlock and John or what we call a time-share, where you own the use of the place for the last two weeks of June or whatever (popular in vacation spots).  So I'm guessing it's something like a condominium or a cooperative -- with the former meaning that you own your apartment plus a shared interest in the common areas, and the latter meaning that you own a shared interest in everything.  Or is it something else entirely?

Yeah I wondered if they had moved into Mycroft's house, which of course may have been their town house originally.

A shared occupancy flat or 'something' (Can't remember the word!)...of multiple occupancy is just something like a student let: apartment of flat, or likewise  maybe for a number of refugee families, or just people on benefits- the old DHSS( our welfare system) type of residency.

A timeshare is really for holidays, the above scenario is peoples actual homes.  Even if it's just while they are studying or in temporary accommodation.

Yeah, there's kind of a distinction between shared interest homes...some are possibly more upmarket or private, rather than provided by the state.

But yeah next year my son and his wife(and new baby!)move into a bought apartment in a cooperative block. This is Italy, by the way.

• Thanks 1

OK, so a shared-occupancy flat isn't something that you buy, it's just a shared rental.  I've been there!

Well yeah, I was kind of saying it's possible in both scenarios...

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Or maybe they're moving to London so they can spend more time with their sons -- who are no doubt thrilled by the prospect!

Collectively the Holmes boys are screaming 'Nooooooooooooooooo!' (Big Myc is screaming on the inside.)  The last thing they want is to have to take the 'rents to more West End musicals.

M:   . . .the agony . . the horror . . .!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

(Big Myc is screaming on the inside.)

tenor.gif

690faf39c66637a7395f5d9afbe92040.gif

d613c6223212f5284e8eae960161888f.gif

Sorry, I had to.  :P 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lovely takes on a really dark episode. We have discussed the point-blank shooting quite enough, but I found in both ACD canon and the Granada JB Sherlock version the great consulting detective pointing out that 'brains come before the cudgel', so the creators have for the umpteenth time played fast and loose with their pet project. Nothing new under the sun, but...*sigh*