Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Imitation Game"

Carol the Dabbler

I agree!  They haven't presented her as glamorous at all, just pretty in an interesting sort of way.

I finally found another photo of Joan Clarke, though obviously from many years later on:

article-2346828-1A776275000005DC-52_306x

... and if that's all that the Daily Mail could come up with, there must not be many photos of her available.

• 4 weeks later...
 AnythingCumberbatch retweeted

Benedict Cumberbatch fans - tonight's #LFF2014 premiere of #TheImitationGame will be livestreamed! https://www.youtube.com/bfi 

• Like 1

I watched the live stream.  It was good.  I got a phone call so missed Benedict's interview.  But he did grab the mic and talked with the fans out there watching.  Will hopefully be able to re-watch it later.

Damn, I missed it... I am SO looking forward to this, especially because I wonder how they tackled the theory behind the Turing bomb. But I suppose I'll have to wait until it hits the cinemas here...

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my husband a cinema ticket voucher as part of his birthday presents. (He is an incredibly difficult person to buy gifts for!)  Little does he know that I have mentally earmarked it for "The Imitation Game" when it goes on general release....

Well, it's the sort of film he enjoys, anyway.  I've got to admit that, although we rarely go to the cinema, all the films we've seen during our most recent visits have involved Benedict. (Star Trek, August Osage County, The Hobbit.)  My husband does whisper to me, "Isn't that Sherlock?" but doesn't seem to mind, bless him!

• Like 2

I'm doing same thing with a couple of free tickets I received ... hoarding them for the Imitation Game. :smile:

I'll have to wait until I can see it in English, which will mean, on DVD. Finding a cinema that does original audio is next to impossible in my area. But oh well... Looking forward to it!

They made her way too pretty, if you ask me. But god forbid the love interest (or whatever) of the main character should be plain... Grrr.

hehe..sex sells sadly. so, the choice of keira is not for turing's benefit (who could care less BTW), but for the male audience's and for the female audience, to identify with the character.

besides, benedict looks nothing like alan. so there you go.  ;)

I look VERY forward to see this film: turing's life has always fascinated me very much and it'd be lovely if people would get to know a little more about him and recognize the importance of what he did, thanks to this biopic. better late than never.

I adored benedict's words when he said it's a scandal alan has been pardoned, when he should be the only one entitled to forgive those who have been harming him so much.

• Like 1

They made her way too pretty, if you ask me. But god forbid the love interest (or whatever) of the main character should be plain... Grrr.

hehe..sex sells sadly. so, the choice of keira is not for turing's benefit (who could care less BTW), but for the male audience's and for the female audience, to identify with the character.

Yeah, but from what I have seen, they at least made an effort to make him look like Mr Turing, and not on turning his natural good looks to the best advantage. As for identifying with an attractive female character, why should I? They don't represent me...

• Like 1

Yeah, but from what I have seen, they at least made an effort to make him look like Mr Turing, and not on turning his natural good looks to the best advantage. As for identifying with an attractive female character, why should I? They don't represent me...

they tried a little, but he still looks his handsome self. ;)  the director surely chose benedict cause of his talent but also of his popularity, which is partly due to his looks. of course not all people find him attractive, in fact many don't, but he still considered so by a good number of people, who follow his career, go and see his films, buy the magazines he appears on etc.

when it comes to identification with female characters on screen, it's a general process. generally, if a girl likes the hero, she could identify with the hero's girl. but it's obviously not automatic. 

I don't dislike keira at all, but she's not one of my fave actresses.  ;)

they tried a little, but he still looks his handsome self. ;)  the director surely chose benedict cause of his talent but also of his popularity, which is partly due to his looks. of course not all people find him attractive, in fact many don't, but he still considered so by a good number of people, who follow his career, go and see his films, buy the magazines he appears on etc.

when it comes to identification with female characters on screen, it's a general process. generally, if a girl likes the hero, she could identify with the hero's girl. but it's obviously not automatic. 

Funny, if I like a hero, I usually identify with him. I seldom feel represented by the main female character in big movies, and some of my favorite heroes don't even have love interests... Like Sherlock (well, you could count Irene as a love interest, I guess, but it's kinda hard to identify with her, although I do like her a lot). I do feel represented by Molly, though. Very much so. Finally!

Yeah, Mr C. is very handsome. ( :lol: I always feel like Mrs Elton, referring to him like that. But even I am too lazy to spell out his full last name all the time, and for some reason - must be the formal German in me - I feel oddly rude using first names for celebrities.) I would never have noticed him for his looks alone, though. But that voice... plus his considerable talent as an actor and the compelling characters he's played - definitely a career worth following.

I do wonder whether he hasn't been a bit type-cast as Turing, though. I mean, Sherlock, Assange and how another genius with, um, "interesting" social skills. But on the other hand, he's played enough people who don't fit that description at all; he's just not as famous for those roles, I guess.

Yeah, I also generally identify with the lead character, irrespective of gender. And of course the lead is usually male. There's a few movies -- Avatar comes to mind -- where a female character who is not the lead is interesting enough for me to identify with, but generally not. I can't abide most "chick flicks," nor anything too violent, so about all that's left for me is little boy adventure tales, some historic films, and most Sandra Bullock movies. And animation (which often has great female leads, but that's not why I watch it.)

I don't really mind for some reason, maybe because I grew up that way. Or maybe I'm just generally more entertained by watching good looking men run around than I am by watching good looking women run around.   :naughty: Yeah, I'm shallow!

... for some reason - must be the formal German in me - I feel oddly rude using first names for celebrities.

Maybe it's actually the formal American in you. I can't refer to celebrities by their first names either, except for the very few whom I've known personally to some slight extent (e.g., I was once kissed on the mouth by Isaac Asimov, which I feel put us on a first-name basis).

I do wonder whether he hasn't been a bit type-cast as Turing, though. I mean, Sherlock, Assange and how another genius with, um, "interesting" social skills.

Social skills aside, don't forget Cumberbatch's first genius role, Stephen Hawking.

• Like 1

Funny, if I like a hero, I usually identify with him. I seldom feel represented by the main female character in big movies, and some of my favorite heroes don't even have love interests... Like Sherlock (well, you could count Irene as a love interest, I guess, but it's kinda hard to identify with her, although I do like her a lot). I do feel represented by Molly, though. Very much so. Finally!

Yeah, Mr C. is very handsome. ( :lol: I always feel like Mrs Elton, referring to him like that. But even I am too lazy to spell out his full last name all the time, and for some reason - must be the formal German in me - I feel oddly rude using first names for celebrities.) I would never have noticed him for his looks alone, though. But that voice... plus his considerable talent as an actor and the compelling characters he's played - definitely a career worth following.

I do wonder whether he hasn't been a bit type-cast as Turing, though. I mean, Sherlock, Assange and how another genius with, um, "interesting" social skills. But on the other hand, he's played enough people who don't fit that description at all; he's just not as famous for those roles, I guess.

ehm, who's mrs elton..?  :blink:

as for the typecasting, it seems an opinion several journalists share. benedict's answer (I find it very funny): "I have played stupid people as well! if anyone has got any other stupid people I can play, let me know".  :lol:

as for my personal opinion, I don't see typecasting, but I do see directors trying to cast the actor everybody wants. ;) 

as for benedict's looks, I'm not often attracted to classic beauties, don't know why. benedict isn't a so called classic beauty either, imo.

his facial features are not so regular, but the ensemble is pretty impressive. athletic body, amazing eyes, mesmerizing voice, goofy but irresistible smile.. me likes the man :wub:  

• Like 2

Oh dear, I am so sorry. Mrs Elton is a character in Jane Austen's novel "Emma", a common obnoxious upstart, who marries the village minister and refers to her husband as "Mr. E.", which the heroine, well-bred Emma, considers the height of vulgarity.

And yes, that quote about having played stupid people as well is very funny, but: examples, please? I haven't seen all of his films / series, but so far, I have not come across any character played by Benedict Cumberbatch whom I would call "stupid". Can you think of anybody?

Oh dear, I am so sorry. Mrs Elton is a character in Jane Austen's novel "Emma", a common obnoxious upstart, who marries the village minister and refers to her husband as "Mr. E.", which the heroine, well-bred Emma, considers the height of vulgarity.

And yes, that quote about having played stupid people as well is very funny, but: examples, please? I haven't seen all of his films / series, but so far, I have not come across any character played by Benedict Cumberbatch whom I would call "stupid". Can you think of anybody?

ehm.. a little ashamed now, having read Emma yrs ago and completely forgotten about this character..  :blush:

well, little charles (august: osage county) is a lovely, warm guy, but not exactly bright..

patrick (starter for 10) may think he's an high IQ, but he comes out as utterly stupid

maj. jamie (war horse) doesn't strike as particularly intelligent too..

• Like 2

I don't dislike keira at all, but she's not one of my fave actresses.  ;)

By course choosing Benedict and Keira for the main roles it helps to actually get the movie made, with the budget that they would want.  Investors are going to be happy to invest more money in a movie with two very "popular" stars in the leading roles, and the more money that comes in the director and producer are able to make the film to the standard that they want.  I was a bit of on the fence with Keira until I saw Atonement, that movie changed my mind about her.  

• Like 1

Harper's Bazaar hosted a dinner for The Imitation Game,  there are photos.  Keira and Benedict were in attendance.

http://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk/people-parties/people-and-parties/bazaar-celebrates-the-imitation-game#slide-1

Maybe it's actually the formal American in you. I can't refer to celebrities by their first names either, except for the very few whom I've known personally to some slight extent (e.g., I was once kissed on the mouth by Isaac Asimov, which I feel put us on a first-name basis).

Now I want to hear the story behind this :smile:.

Back on topic, while Mr. Cumberbatch seems indeed a bit typecast on eccentric geniuses, I think there are worse fates for an actor ;).

• Like 2

Now I want to hear the story behind this :smile:.

You mean this part?

... I was once kissed on the mouth by Isaac Asimov....

Not much of a story, actually. We were both at a science-fiction gathering and he apparently noticed that I'm female.  So without any warning he gave me a quick-but-sloppy smooch. (He had his Dirty Old Man reputation to uphold, after all.)

• Like 2

:blink:

Asimov, Roddenberry and James T. Kirk. Am I allowed to put this down to their generation, or do I have to rethink my devotion to sci fi? :picard:

• Like 1

It may have been a symptom of that awkward transitional era we were going through.  Or it may have been certain irresponsible men attempting to justify their behavior under the banner of sexual freedom and women's liberation -- you know, the ones to whom "men have needs" seems a perfectly logical reason for just about anything (while women apparently have chopped liver).

That sort of attitude was probably more obvious in science-fiction circles simply because "futuristic" can refer to just about anything (including skimpy little "uniforms" on female military officers).  But yeah, I think it was to a large extent a generational thing.  I hope!

• Like 2

It may have been a symptom of that awkward transitional era we were going through.  Or it may have been certain irresponsible men attempting to justify their behavior under the banner of sexual freedom and women's liberation --

No!!!! :o How could they!!!! Thank goodness that doesn't happen now!!!

• Like 2