Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Imitation Game"

Carol the Dabbler

Just saw a bit of CBS' Sunday Morning, and whaddya know? Mr. Cumberbatch was on there talking about The Imitation Game (of which my stepmom swore was actually called Enigma), and then there was a part with some historians talking about Alan Turing after WWII.

benedict-cumberbatch-imitation-game-03.j

Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game."

"Turing viewed [the Enigma machine] as a mathematical problem, didn't he?" asked Mason.

"Absolutely. I mean, he really did. But he also understood that to beat a machine, you had to use a machine rather than humans, because there just wasn't enough time."

[On the scene where Turing's team finish the prototype codebreaking machine] Cumberbatch said, "That moment in the film actually gave me goosebumps. To think what it must have been like the first time it worked and stopped to give the settings for the day. I mean, just literally the hairs stood on the back of my neck, as it must have been for them. I mean, this is a 'Eureka!' moment."

Transcript-y thing for that part of the show's here.

• Like 2

Oh, I am SO looking forward to this movie!

Your stepmom is correct in that the code was called Enigma.  Also, there was another movie a few years back about Turing's work, and I believe that movie was called Enigma.

Yes, here it is on IMDb and Wikipedia.  Although Enigma was clearly based on Turing's work, the lead character is not Turing, but rather a different (fictitious) mathematician, and the movie is set during a period when Turing was not at Bletchley Park.  See this review by Andrew Hodges, who wrote the book Cumberbatch's movie is based on.

Transcript-y thing for that part of the show's here.

Annnnnd, the video of the whole segment is here.

I love Sunday Morning, they do everything with such class.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since we mentioned the movie's release dates.  According to IMDb, it'll be November 14th in the UK and Ireland, November 28th (a week later than originally announced) in the US, and various dates in December through March in the rest of the world.

The movie's official US site confirms that it is the 28th for the US. I'm sad for the delayed release.

Well, I'm sure it'll definitely be worth the wait. Besides, you could also watch Benedict perform as Agent Classified in Penguins of Madagascar. :P

Well, I'm sure it'll definitely be worth the wait. Besides, you could also watch Benedict perform as Agent Classified in Penguins of Madagascar. :P

But since that's only 2 days earlier, that doesn't make me feel much better.... :cry:

Maybe I'll work on catching up on doctor who.

• Like 1

Wow, the movie won't be released in some countries till March -- guess I'd better not complain about waiting another two or three weeks!

I'm off to see this on Sunday evening,  cannot wait.  It is only playing one night here in Australia on the 16th November, until the official release next year.  Has anyone seen it yet?  What did you think?  

• Like 1

Have only seen clips played during interviews. Looking forward to it in 2 weeks.

Yeah, nice Thanksgiving-weekend present!  Which, come to think of it, probably explains why they delayed the US premiere -- huge crowds on "Black Friday," since just about everyone has the day off.

• Like 1

Makes sense.  And I understand that part 1 of Mocking Jay comes out the week before making it better to delay the week..

Arcadia has posted that Benedict Cumberbatch won his Actor Award for Imitation Game, I was half fearing that he would be passed over....again. Good job. 

• Like 1

As Arcadia mentioned elsewhere, The Imitation Game actually won four of the Hollywood Film Awards tonight:

Hollywood Actor Award: Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
Hollywood Director Award: Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game
Hollywood Supporting Actress Award: Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Hollywood Film Composer Award: Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game

Congratulations, all!

• Like 1

Indeed.  When will the next Oscars be awarded, anyhow?  OK, the most recent ones were awarded this past March -- so presumably March 2015 or thereabouts.

Indeed.  When will the next Oscars be awarded, anyhow?  OK, the most recent ones were awarded this past March -- so presumably March 2015 or thereabouts.

February 22. The 2014 Oscars were held later cuz of the Olympics.
  • Like 1

OK today is the day,  in about 9 hours time I will finally be watching TIG.   I'm going with my partner and some friends so I need to keep myself under control.    I'll let you know my thoughts afterwards, and I will remember to pack tissues, because I think I'm going to need them.

• Like 2