Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Imitation Game"

Carol the Dabbler

Sherlockology has posted their review -- here (moderate Spoiler warning).  Short version: they think it's brilliant.

tumblr_nf35fwx9bx1qkgkowo1_500.jpg

Been there, done that!

Firstly it's a lot funnier than I expected, at least until about 3/4's  of the way in. Secondly and you knew this already but the acting by all is faultless, seriously this cast!!!!  There is no-one here phoning in their performance, Alex Lawther who plays the younger Turing is amazing, especially in the scene where he is called into the headmaster's office.

The story itself was two hours of a true inspiration but I will say I thought  there was a plot hole left at the end , but I can't say more without giving away the story.As for the story itself  I would have liked to have seen more about Turing's life after the war,  it did seem to end rather quickly and condense the last years of this life into a few minutes.

Lastly now I am a crybaby, seriously I cried watching the new John Lewis Ad ,anyway I didn't cry watching this. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback, Convict13.  Once some of the rest of us have had a a chance to see the movie, we can start discussing plot points (in spoiler boxes)!

Thanks for your feedback, Convict13.  Once some of the rest of us have had a a chance to see the movie, we can start discussing plot points (in spoiler boxes)!

I look forward to reading other's thoughts.  

Went to see the film tonight with my daughter, and plan to lure my husband to go and see with me next week.  (This ploy worked for me when I wanted to see The Fifth Estate twice.)  It's a wonderful film, though tremendously sad - how could it be anything else?

All the performances are good, and I agree with Convict 13 that the boy who played the young Alan Turing was excellent.  As for Benedict's performance....Well, if he doesn't get an Oscar, I'll feel that he was robbed.  The man is a fine actor and thoroughly deserves his success.

I hope that, at last, Turing's achievements will be appreciated by the general public and that he will finally receive the recognition he deserves.  The Royal Pardon was a start but it isn't enough.  I was glad to see that, although the film only touches fairly briefly on Turing's problems as a homosexual at a time when it was illegal, it has been welcomed by gay campaigners such as Peter Tatchell, as it reminds everyone not only of the shameful way that Turing was treated by his own country but also of the thousands of gay men who were prosecuted because of their sexuality.

All in all, a film well worth seeing and a brilliant central performance by Benedict.  (And I don't feel it's rude to refer to him by his first name, as I'm sure he couldn't care less what his fans call him! :))

• Like 4

Alex and I have been looking (online) for a theater that's planning to show The Imitation Game, but so far no luck -- though the movie seems to be pretty popular with one site's "demand" option, so who knows, it may simply be late coming here.  Are any of you other Americans having any better luck?

We figure we'll want the DVD in any case, so we've pre-ordered it from Amazon UK.

The only place I've found it so far are 2 theaters in LA playing it tomorrow. Sorry but I live in Minnesota not California. :( hoping it comes to MN soon and as a matinee option.

Wow.  That's a "limited run" indeed!

It might help if you go to Eventful.com's "demand" page and speak up for your area.

Well, I would if I wanted to be bothered with their emails, which I don't. I'm sure it will come along eventually, I just don't understand why they're being so coy about when.

Well, I would if I wanted to be bothered with their emails, which I don't. I'm sure it will come along eventually, I just don't understand why they're being so coy about when.

Agreed about the when.  For something that has so much Oscar buzz around it, one would think it would be playing in a few more theaters and the theaters/sites would have it listed.

You can opt out of the emails -- just uncheck the box.

I've "demanded" movies before, and it doesn't seem to trigger any sort of spam attack.  Can't even think that I've gotten any emails from that site itself.

• Like 1

One person on Facebook speculated they had to do a "premature early release" in order for it to be considered for the next Oscars. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of buzz-building tactic, we are dealing with the Weinstein machine, after all.

What surprised me was I haven't seen any ads on TV for it yet. The Hobbit has had ads. Heck, even the Penguins have had ads. Maybe I'm just watching the wrong channels.....

You can opt out of the emails -- just uncheck the box.

I've "demanded" movies before, and it doesn't seem to trigger any sort of spam attack.  Can't even think that I've gotten any emails from that site itself.

Okay, but if I can't uncheck the box, I'm directing all the emails to you! :P

• Like 1

If you can't uncheck the box, then don't click the final button.

I doubt that the studio is being coy or even tactical.  It's a British film on a limited release, so it's kind of a dark horse.  The movie is to be officially released here on Friday, at which point it's up to each theater (or chain) to decide whether to play it or not.  At this point, most have apparently decided "not."  But the "demand" scores are far higher than I recall seeing for another movie that DID show up in fairly short order.  So I'm cautiously optimistic.

And I've ordered the DVD.  :D

Okay, gang, the Washington Post says the release date for the Imitation Game is December 12. No other information, but they presumably got the info from somewhere.

I really don't think theaters are choosing not to show it. Not with the buzz it's got.I just think it's not widely available yet. (Except in limited release; 3-4 theaters, evidently.)

The 12th, huh?  That's weird, and the first time I've heard that particular date mentioned for the US.  IMDb still has the 28th.

The USA Today article linked in Benedict's news thread stated New York & LA on the 28th.  It did not mention wide release or anything of that sort for that day just those 2 cities.  So I'm thinking limited release then wider release.  I'm hoping it comes to MN when the wider release happens.

I went to see this film and it was very good. Benedict played the role of 'Alan Turing' very well but my own personal feeling is that it is not an Oscar winning film. 

Do you feel that any elements of the movie are Oscar-worthy -- for example, even if it doesn't win "Best Movie," might Benedict Cumberbatch win "Best Actor"?

I found one Times Magazine today that has Mr. Cumberbatch on the cover as Alan Turing. I picked it up, of course. I can't find any Maine theaters carrying it as yet and the only release date I see mentioned is Nov. 28.

I checked 1 move listing site yesterday and all they had were 2 theaters each in LA and NYC. Hoping for more soon.

According to Variety (finally, a reputable source!):

The slow but steady expansion will see “The Imitation Game” add six markets and between 25 and 30 theaters on Dec. 12. It will go nationwide in between 600 and 800 theaters on Christmas Day.

• Like 1