Official "Sherlock" Merchandise

So, VBS, how's the diorama coming along? Almost finished? :P

. . . . .

Sssst!!!! Pssssst!

I have acquired material to make Sherlock's chair. Does that count?

• Like 1

Sounds like you've started, at least. Let's see, you have just a little over two months to finish ... yeah, you'll be fine. :P

• Like 1

With my rate of progress, strong will, determination, passion, never say die and iron-clad persistence,

give me a holler when it's 2065, will ya?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So let me complain here.

The TAB figurines, that was promised to arrive earlier in March, was dragged into October, and dragged again into next March. Reason, the manufacturer couldn't find special clothing material.

What pisses me off is they don't bother to say or inform about the delay until asked, every time.

To think for such a reputable company, a notification or some kind of service is expected. How would you know my address will still be the same or whatever. Huh.

*That gives me excuse to postpone my deadline until 2033 isn't it? :p

Nope. Apparently they don't bother although it will be at least one year late.

They make decent figures but the administrative side kind of sucks.

There are a lot of companies like that, founded by one or two people who really enjoy the technical side of things, but who haven't a clue how to run a business.

• Like 1

Alas, I tend to fall a bit into that category with my art (like a lot of artists ... no wonder so many of us teach.......)

• Like 1

The only artists I've ever known well were a high-school teacher, a junior-high teacher, and a technical illustrator by day -- and artists on evenings and weekends.

• Like 1

Yup. I know a few full-time artists, and even they make a large part of their income teaching. Thank god for people who like to learn. :smile:

• Like 1

Oops, almost forgot one -- employed as a commercial artist (sketches for department-store ads in the newspaper) but an incredibly talented charicaturist and cartoonist in his spare time. He later got out of commercial art and became a computer programmer (which is how I knew him), but kept up the drawing.

There have been many times when I got so frustrated trying to describe something that I wished I could just open up my head and show somebody what I was seeing in my mind. Well, this guy could do that! One day he was talking about somebody who worked in a different department, but he didn't know the guy's name and I didn't recignize his verbal description. So he just grabbed his pencil, and a few quick strokes later, I knew exactly who he was talking about!

• Like 1

Update, right after I wrote it here I replied to them with a bit of fury, expressing my dissapointment, not on their persistence to get good manufacturer or material (as what they claimed) but on their failure to keep me updated or a little bit of service decency of deserved information. Well, I would never want to buy anything if there is one and half years waiting, geez.

And, the next day, I received official email with long and detailed explanation to all the customers from them explaining about the delay, that has a lot to do as well with the changing concept of the figurine's bodyworks. Apparently, all are affected, not only particular Sherlock TAB. Long overdue, but finally a word.

So, my deadline is delayed until furtheeeerrr notice, yes? :p

I'd be a fool to mention that it's not an excuse as I already got the modern version. What hold me up (beside thousands of excuses) is a place for it. Since it's quite a big scale figurine, I don't have good idea yet about housing the diorama yet, it would require a proper set of furniture itself. So..

• Like 1

Maybe.  Or maybe they happened to pick the wrong company to do the work for them.  In Alex's job, he has occasionally had to deal with incompetents that his boss had chosen to do business with.  Or maybe the switchover is impacting the outer figure more than they had thought.

No, I meant, all that was a flimsy excuse for VBS delaying her deadline again. I am starting to have serious doubts about her resolve. :p

I blame you guys and my dog.

You guys set the deadline without consulting me and since I adopted my dog, I dedicate most/all of my spare time for him.

Anyway, if things are well, I really want to start to work on that, most probably in Jan though. Will have busy Christmas and year end, finally a good long break.

• 1 year later...

So, after more than two years delay, I finally received TAB figurines.

Do you guys know what is this? Is it Sherlock's Persian slipper?

20190206-111022.jpg

But it comes with John, I don't see any relevance with TAB and something important and iconic that is normally relate to the figurine (example, modern John have laptop and gun. Modern Sherl magnifying glass etc).

Anyway, these are gifts I received for those waiting years of delay. Have to say I love them.

20190206-105831.jpg

Comb18042019180811.jpg

20190418-180917.jpg

20190418-181204.jpg

• Like 1

Yup, that sure looks like a Persian slipper to me.  Conan Doyle's original Holmes used one to store his pipe tobacco, which may explain what it's doing with the TAB figures -- though I have no idea why it came with Watson instead of Holmes.

So how about some pictures of the long-awaited figures themselves?  Huh?

• Like 1

Maybe they couldn't think of anything else to go with TAB John? I can't, unless it's Mary. :smile:

Yeah, where's the pix of the figurines? We want to see!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Maybe they couldn't think of anything else to go with TAB John? I can't, unless it's Mary. 

I'd take the box with head gladly. Or glove. Don't remember TAB much, and I really need to rewatch S4.

Alright, alright, these are couple of pictures. But please note, that both of you, are asking for picture of the figurines (E' e' e', you are not allowed to amend your request) which I can provide, not the diorama, which I can't, because to start I need new furniture/display case, otherwise I won't risk exposing them to humidity because it would take forever to make, for good result. And I haven't brought them here yet.

Comb20042019210011.jpg

I don't have the one with Sherl inside. Sherlock's comes with death frisbee, something weird*, gun, magnifying glass and pipe. John's comes with candle, hat, a piece of scalp (😋more on this later), gun and persian slipper.

Comb20042019210112.jpg

*something weird

Comb20042019211026.jpg

What the heck is this? Torch? Megaphone? Portable fire hydrant? Heavy duty death frisbee???

More later. Brb.

• Like 1

And this is Sherl with the earhat:

Comb20042019210202.jpg

Without:

Comb20042019210241.jpg

John with that piece of scary scalp, apparently the purpose is to fit the hat properly (Sherlock doesn't need it).

Comb20042019210450.jpg

This to show how flexible the joints are, and complexity of the many layers of clothing.

Comb20042019210345.jpg

Fabrics and pockets

Comb20042019210537.jpg

• Like 1

20190206-110948.jpg

This is John without the hat.

Overall I have to say the quality of the figurines are great. There are real buttons and detailed fabrics. The pockets are real.

Also the paint, details of the wrinkles and eyes are much better than the modern day figurines.

I was told that the long waiting was for the torso material (if I remember correctly). However, sorry to say ladies, when I stripped Sherlock, it is still disappointing down there. 

:whistle:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Comb20042019210011.jpg

Holy cannoli, they've turned John into the bionic man!!!!!! :unsure: 

*something weird

Comb20042019211026.jpg

What the heck is this? Torch? Megaphone? Portable fire hydrant? Heavy duty death frisbee???

That, m'dear, is a Victorian lantern. As in....

EtzqqLe.jpg

Overall I have to say the quality of the figurines are great. There are real buttons and detailed fabrics. The pockets are real.

Also the paint, details of the wrinkles and eyes are much better than the modern day figurines.

I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with both the likenesses and the quality of the workmanship. Who knew? Good job, VBS, it wasn't a complete waste of money after all. :-) 

I was told that the long waiting was for the torso material (if I remember correctly). However, sorry to say ladies, when I stripped Sherlock, it is still disappointing down there. 

:whistle:

What the heck kind of diorama were you planning on? :blink: 

4 hours ago, besleybean said:

Guess who bought a Moriarty mug on Wednesday and smashed it on Wednesday?

I'm guessing … VBS? :P 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1