Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Ooo good question, I don't know. Next time I need a taxi I'll try it out.

• Like 1

Do you think someone flying from a fairly low light aircraft can see a topless person in a garden?

Depending on how low they're flying, yes that is a possibility.

• Like 1

I'm talking about by just looking out of the window rather than anything high tech with cameras. 

I may have given a passing pilot an eyeful. Luckily I'm fairly flat chested so the fairy cakes I had in place may have done the trick. 

Good god.

There is possibility you are trending in YouTube now.

Maybe you'd have more views than Mrs.Hudson's dancing video.

Anyway, regarding smart phone. :axe: I blabber a lot back then.

link

Or

Even when you don't have data, there are many other things to do with smart phone, which is why I never looked back after started using one and survived using it without data for approx ten years.

Offline:

Books! Cram your ebooks inside and install a reader. It works like Kindle although phone screen is not very eye-friendly for long period.

Organizing.. calenders, events, folders, files

Notes.. I used to have a well updated blog when I need to commute with bus and train, because I had the time to write my bs in my phone. (To be posted later when I have internet access). I keep note for everything else as well; expenses that need to be remembered, things to bring for a trip when serious planning is needed and even drafting emails or posts to be sent later.

Games. For waiting or when you are bored bored bored. There are a lot of great offline fun nerdy games or normal fun games. Sherlock Network is actually less nerdy compared to my others.

Maps. Yes, I used to carry maps around but there is no need anymore when I found offline version before I had data.

Dictionary/measurement conversion.

Very essential sometimes.

Nitty gritty like music player, alarm, flash light that I surprisingly use a lot.

Other simple functional editing apps like when you need to draw on photos, combine or edit images which could be useful for works.

And camera! Not for taking human, but it's very handy for sceneries, and important stuffs such as when you see something that inspires you for work/story/something to remember like schedules, information. It's extremely useful when I need to do urgent work from home/off work, I could snap a picture and send it to boss to shut him up for a while. I don't have printer and scanner. It's also great for snapping e-ticket, shopping codes, even passport etc when you need to use the info but can't remember by head or when you lost the physical paperwork.

Those above are offline function.

For online, it's unlimited, the whole world is out there: for researching, informations, even banking transactions, bills, buying ticket/stuff online, weather checks (needed sometimes for me), economical communications, data/document sharings, and... Sherlock forum.

But when I talked about rich people and their useless cool things, it's more like those my-kidney-price-equivalent useless bags, watches etc, although people who have expensive gadgets just for the sake of brand and show off piss me off as well.

• Like 1

If I travelled a lot, I think a smart phone would be high on my list of "must have that NOW." But I'm home a lot instead, where I have all that stuff at my fingertips anyway, just in a more low tech form (I keep a pencil and pad of paper on virtually every flat surface in the house. :smile:) So, yeah ... for me, I'm afraid it still falls into the category of "would be nice to have" instead of "need it now." I don't do that many art shows any more anyway ... people aren't spending as much at them as they used to. They're spending their money travelling and buying smart phones, instead. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about by just looking out of the window rather than anything high tech with cameras.

If eyesight is good enough, the person might notice some color missing in a certain area, but the person would not likely see detail beyond that without the use of technology.

Good. My garden isn't overlooked by any windows and has high walls so I thought it was safe. I didn't take into account a plane and a hang glider flying over. 

Why are so many shorts so short? Who are these people who like walking about with half of their butt cheeks hanging out?

• Like 1

Why are so many shorts so short? Who are these people who like walking about with half of their butt cheeks hanging out?

Hollywood, the fashion industry, et al. tend to over sexualize & objectify women so that when men look at us, they think something along the lines of deer to be caught and overpowered whether or not the male acts on it. (Obviously this is not true in all cases, but it happens all too often)

But who actually wears them? No one should be wearing these to pop down the shop for a pint of milk. 

2a9e09b1e882a0e66eabe7422140e268.jpg

I've seen plenty of females do it. Most don't realize how unfeministic it is to wear clothing that objectifies us and sets back the equality we want. Also the kind with the full pocket look worse as the whole thing looks tacky in my opinion.

To me that's something that teens and 20-somethings would wear. Because they can, I guess.

• Like 1

Hm. I don't really care what anyone wears. If a woman or man fancies running around with their butt cheeks showing, let them. If they only feel comfortable going out with their hair completely covered, fine. What I don't like is one side telling the other they are wrong and need to behave more like them.

It's just clothes for crying out loud. And if you grew up in a place where the law forces you to cover up because you don't possess a Y chromosome, revealing outfits can be a feminist statement imo - just like covering up of your own free will to protest being seen as an object can.

You do you, girl (or boy). I can always look away if I don't like it.

• Like 3

I lived in mini skirts when I was in my twenties, but I don't think I ever wore anything quite that short. 

I'm torn, on the one hand I always think people can do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, on the other hand it doesn't seem safe going out with half your butt on display. Personally I'm not coming at it from a feminist angle, it just seems weird to me that anyone would feel comfortable with so much showing. 

To me that's something that teens and 20-somethings would wear. Because they can, I guess.

I've seen women older than 20-something wear something similar and it doesn't look good.

Probably true, but I'm not about to advocate an age limit on short-shorts.  What one wears is nobody else's business, so it's a personal liberty issue, in my opinion.

• Like 2

What's worse is if they don't have the figure to wear it because then it's not so much about taste in your wardrobe but about knowing what looks good for your current weight/size. Too many people wear clothes that are ill fitting.

What's worse is if they don't have the figure to wear it because then it's not so much about taste in your wardrobe but about knowing what looks good for your current weight/size. Too many people wear clothes that are ill fitting.

But what is the 'suitable figure' to wear something? And who have absolute right to determine those?

Does it mean someone can't wear something even if they like it just because it doesn't look as good compared to better figured people?

Just like the beach body thingy, beach body = having a body and bring it to the beach. Not everyone feels the need to fit into stereotype of bikini bodies in order to wear bikini because maybe they don't look as good to others.

Confidence makes people attractive, if others disagree, yah, they can look away.

I also agree what people wears is their own business, as long as they respect culture/religion of the places they visit accordingly, and as said, personal safety.

• Like 2

I didn't say they couldn't wear what they want. Free country here.

There are many different types of clothes and styles out there for all different body types and tastes. The same outfit/style isn't going fit all body types well. I don't think that is outlandish or unreasonable to say.

If I travelled a lot, I think a smart phone would be high on my list of "must have that NOW." But I'm home a lot instead, where I have all that stuff at my fingertips anyway, just in a more low tech form (I keep a pencil and pad of paper on virtually every flat surface in the house. :smile:) So, yeah ... for me, I'm afraid it still falls into the category of "would be nice to have" instead of "need it now." I don't do that many art shows any more anyway ... people aren't spending as much at them as they used to. They're spending their money travelling and buying smart phones, instead. :rolleyes:

Hey! Mine usually last yearsss..I only buy when mine is not usable anymore, usually battery-related-no-more-sparepart-as it's-too-ancient, or on my previous one, the built in memory simply can't hold anything anymore because it had fixed pre-built apps that ate more and more memories and couldn't be uninstalled, there was no external memory option. For physical looks, I don't care as long as they are functional. Did I say that I used golf tee as stylus and duct tape to hold the broken body together? XD And I always opt for performance, mostly 1/5 of price I could get good ones without needing fancy brand.

But you are right, if you are mostly homebound and have everything available, there is no need to own a smartphone, kind of redundant.

The best relaxing time I had was when I go on holiday with s.o to places that is bad remote for technology. Peace..... too many haven't done that for years. Now fund and holiday go to just meeting on either place we are.

Good. My garden isn't overlooked by any windows and has high walls so I thought it was safe. I didn't take into account a plane and a hang glider flying over.

Hmmm... hmm.. safe is different nowadays. Your phone have front and back camera yes? Laptop has webcam yes? You know where I'm going XD, look at the conversations here.. A.I apocalypse will happen earlier than zombie's! :cowdance: Look at our resident zombie, she hasn't done anything destructive except beating me up with violin. Nah...

Anyway, why you eh.. topless in garden?

Is it earth friendly organic gardening or sun embracer or laundry day?

• Like 1