Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

10 hours ago, Caya said:

Er, VBS is right, the Targaryens both went there first and more openly (it was rare for them not to marry brother to sister, allegedly to preserve that dragon blood of theirs). 

Yes, I'm aware of that, but not in the 'present day' of the show. Then it's all about the nephews. 😮

I've had people do that with just message my name. If it's a friend it doesn't bother me, I just take it as a sign they want to chat. If it's work related then yea, it annoys the life out of me. 

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I've had people do that with just message my name. If it's a friend it doesn't bother me, I just take it as a sign they want to chat.

So they're doing what they would do in person in order to get your attention and see if you're available?  I guess I could see why they'd do that -- but that doesn't mean I'd like it.  In my opinion, they should go ahead and say something.  Then I'll have an idea what it's about, and if it's just chitchat and I'm busy, I'll reply later   if they just say my name, though, then for all I know they might be in need of immediate help that I'd gladly give.  So I'm with VBS.

If they are in need of immediate help I'd expect them to say so. :) A friend of mine just messages 'hey tiny' from time to time and nowt else until I answer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

My pet peeve is people who read the first sentence of my memo (the part where I'm explaining the background) and reply without reading the rest of it.  (Sometimes I think they reply after reading only the subject line.)  *grump*

Oh, yes. I have a few that do that to me and it drives me nutz. There are times when I've actually written "please read to the end" as the first line, which makes me look like a jerk. But I do try to put in ONLY essential information, honest!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but not in the 'present day' of the show. Then it's all about the nephews

That... probably has something to do that they are the only two left. And yet, it still happens :D, I mean, what are the odds!

18 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Oh, yes. I have a few that do that to me and it drives me nutz. There are times when I've actually written "please read to the end" as the first line, which makes me look like a jerk. But I do try to put in ONLY essential information, honest!

That's good idea, although I expect more from work. I'd do what Camper did, and include all the nitty gritty just to point out how annoyed I was, like, this had been answered in email with .... subject, sent on ....., and based on conversation on meeting dated .... attended by ...... Please kindly refer to that, lazya**! (I wish I put the lazya** but there is no way I put 'kindly')

It happened to me also when I was arranging a budget trip that required us to have multiple flights and hoppings, all because I was the one who found the contact and deal. After I laid out everything, itinerary, details etc etc, I was very annoyed to find that some were still asking about this and that. It is group email, and there are only like five of us. It's not that hard, and I'm not your frigging travel agent. 

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You mean that's the whole message?  The whole entire complete end of message?!?!?  :wtf:

Nope, not me.  You oughtta meet Alex!

Let's say I'm driving, and the car ahead of me suddenly slows down.  I will slow down as well, then try to figure out why they did -- is there a cop ahead? did an animal dart into traffic? is there some debris on the road? has there been a crash?

Whereas if Alex is driving and the car ahead of him suddenly slows down, he will become angry.  Now that's a J for you!

Yes, that was the whole message until I bother to reply. Personal and work. Urgent and not. 

Hmmm.. I think I would get angry for a split second, then do what you did, wondering what is going on, before going back to anger if they are indeed idiots. But it's true that I am prone to road rage, in quite restrictive way, as much as I can bear. Maybe it'd be different if I was good at kicking people's ass, there are one or two road bullies and thrasher I would like to teach some lessons to. It's amazing the kind of road skill you have to have to be safe from those reckless drivers.

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

If somebody comes too close to hitting me, I may question their ancestry.  :D

That's a lot of histories you'd have to hear over here. XD

What I want to be when I grow old.

Screenshot_2018-08-09-12-07-46_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

There are times when I've actually written "please read to the end" as the first line, which makes me look like a jerk.

Not a jerk, dear, a control freak.  And I'll have to remember to do that myself.  (Not that they'll actually read the whole thing even then, but at least I'll know that I did my best.)

• Like 2

I yell a lot in the car. I didn't really realise I did it until my mother said she hates being in the car with me because it stresses her out. 

I considered myself a patient person until I started driving. For the most part I am except when behind the wheel. That’s when I’m likely to get frustrated easily.

It's tailgating that absolutely infuriates me, I can guarantee some idiot will do it to me at least once a day, and it's not like I'm driving particularly slowly when it happens. 

• Confused 1

If I can’t see a person’s headlights, I know they’re too close as a Toyota Prius has a spoiler between the 2 sections of the rear window.

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I yell a lot in the car. I didn't really realise I did it until my mother said she hates being in the car with me because it stresses her out. 

I know what she means.  When Alex and I are headed out, it's a tough call -- would I rather listen to his reactions or deal with the traffic myself?  So far, the former is winning, but my laziness can stretch only so far.

3 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

If I can’t see a person’s headlights, I know they’re too close as a Toyota Prius has a spoiler between the 2 sections of the rear window.

Here in Indiana, that's not just too close, that's *far* too close.  But you're in Minnesota.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is waving or flashing your lights to say thank you important in other countries? Here if you don't do it you either get lots of angry muttering directed at you or an irate 'you're welcome!' yelled out the window at you. 

A pedestrian yelled 'you're welcome' at me a few weeks ago, and I was so enraged I was tempted to go back and run her over. Stupid cow, I don't need to thank you for not walking out in front of my car. The car has right of way on the road. You think you can take it on and win then be my guest. As you can tell, just the thought of it still infuriates me. 

Here in Indiana, that's not just too close, that's *far* too close.  But you're in Minnesota.   

Agreed on it being far too close.

Is waving or flashing your lights to say thank you important in other countries? Here if you don't do it you either get lots of angry muttering directed at you or an irate 'you're welcome!' yelled out the window at you.  A pedestrian yelled 'you're welcome' at me a few weeks ago, and I was so enraged I was tempted to go back and run her over. Stupid cow, I don't need to thank you for not walking out in front of my car. The car has right of way on the road. You think you can take it on and win then be my guest. As you can tell, just the thought of it still infuriates me. 

In the US, flashing headlights is usually done by commercial sized vehicles when a like-sized vehicle wants to merge in front to let them know it’s safe to do so.

It also used to be done to let someone know that either their headlights needed to be turned on or dimmed. However, that has been discouraged the last couple of decades or so because of gang initiations.

Waving of the hand is optional but nice when someone lets you in or waits for you. As the driver letting someone in/across, I only wave to let them know they can have the right of way.

As I recall, that whole politeness/helpful system was used far more some years back.  A couple years ago, a semi was passing me at night, and I flashed my lights to let them know they were far enough ahead to pull safely in.  They pulled in, but did *not* acknowledge by flashing their own lights.  Could well have been a young driver who was never taught that system, or could be a macho type who wouldn't stoop to responding to a mere passenger vehicle.  Dunno.  But I seldom see semi drivers using the system these days, and I'm not likely to bother doing it again.

On the other hand, there was a car weaving in and out of traffic the other day.  I saw it coming and slowed just a bit, lest I lose my front fender.  The jerk (who had been driving with his elbow out the window like Arcadia's brother) zipped in front of me -- and then waved a "thank you."  I figure the politeness canceled out the rudeness, so we're even!

Added:  How to interpret the following:  The first paragraph is a quote from Camper, and the second is my response to it.  The "spoiler" is another quote from Camper, and the final paragraph is my response to that.  @#$%& new software!

Camper said:

It also used to be done to let someone know that either their headlights needed to be turned on or dimmed. However, that has been discouraged the last couple of decades or so because of gang initiations.

I have heard that the gang-initiation thing was just an urban legend.  But flashing one's headlights at oncoming traffic also used to mean "There's a cop ahead of you, so you might want to slow down."

Waving of the hand is optional but nice when someone lets you in or waits for you. As the driver letting someone in/across, I only wave to let them know they can have the right of way.

Some people do that far too freely.  A driver was waiting to make a left-hand turn across three lanes of oncoming traffic, and someone in the closest lane slowed down and waved her across.  So she want ahead, and slammed right into us in the third lane.  But we were far luckier than a former neighbor of mine, who lost his life in a similar situation.

Yep, I've had people zip in front of me and then wave thank you as if I had 'let' them in. Yeah, right. Not much gets to me, but that does.

Wow, I must be tired-er than I thought, I fell asleep while typing my response and all you lovely people slipped in ahead of me. So forgive me if the following is a bit repetitive.

17 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Not a jerk, dear, a control freak.  

There's a difference? :unsure:

8 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

I considered myself a patient person until I started driving. For the most part I am except when behind the wheel. That’s when I’m likely to get frustrated easily.

I'm just the opposite. I'm the least aggressive person imaginable on the road (well, for the most part :smile: ), but get frustrated the rest of the time at the drop of a hat. I think it's because for a while there, a long time ago, I was having panic attacks while driving. Now THAT was fun. <_< So now I make it a point to play it cool.

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Is waving or flashing your lights to say thank you important in other countries? Here if you don't do it you either get lots of angry muttering directed at you or an irate 'you're welcome!' yelled out the window at you. 

A pedestrian yelled 'you're welcome' at me a few weeks ago, and I was so enraged I was tempted to go back and run her over. Stupid cow, I don't need to thank you for not walking out in front of my car. The car has right of way on the road. You think you can take it on and win then be my guest. As you can tell, just the thought of it still infuriates me. 

As far as I know the flashing of lights is "officially" rather frowned upon, although it's not uncommon, esp. in rural areas, for people to do it when there's a hazard ahead, such as water over the bridge (or a patrol car lying in wait for speeders. 😉 ) To say thank you, or sometimes just to acknowledge the other driver's existence, some of us raise the index finger in greeting as we pass. The first time I ever noticed anyone doing that, though, was in the wilds of North Carolina, when passing another car was a rare thing. There's still a little bit of that around here in Virginia, especially on roads with low speed limits, but as the population grows the practice seems to be disappearing.

As far as the car having right of way … maybe it's different there, but I wouldn't recommend, here, using it as a defense for running someone over..... :smile: 

Edited by Arcadia

1 hour ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

In the US, flashing headlights is usually done by commercial sized vehicles when a like-sized vehicle wants to merge in front to let them know it’s safe to do so.

I've never heard of either of those things, which just goes to show that some of our customs are still regional. 

40 minutes ago, Pamela said:

Yep, I've had people zip in front of me and then wave thank you as if I had 'let' them in. Yeah, right. Not much gets to me, but that does.

I'm so laid back when driving, I would assume they were apologizing for their rudeness. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was thinking back to a conversation I had with my dad a few months ago, and he mentioned that he was always convinced he would die young. I never thought I'd make it to thirty. When I mentioned it to my mother she was surprised (and I think slightly aghast) and said she had never thought she'd die young.

So I wonder how common it is - how many of you thought you'd die young?

Not me. I’ve always thought I’d likely live to be in my 80s or so.

As a teen I was always convinced I would die young.

Several years ago I had a breast cancer scare, which thankfully turned out to be a false alarm.

And yet lat year I was widowed at 55...

• Sad 2

Not me, although in my twenties, and currently, I did/do think death by atom bomb was/is not unlikely.

Both my dad and my brother said they were never going to die, and they were the first to go. My sister basically starved herself most of her life because she thought it would help her live longer, and now she's got a form of Alzheimer's. My mom predicted, back in the early '70's, that she would never live to see the 2000's; she's currently 100 and still going strong. So I don't have much faith in the predictive powers of my people. 😛 

• Like 1

Wow, a 100?! Yea, I wouldn't be hugely be surprised to die by bomb, but when I thought I was due to die I was thinking just me rather than a mass of people. My dad said he thought he would die at 31, which hilariously is the age he was when I was born - I said the feeling of impending doom was my imminent arrival. 

I think he thought he would have a heart attack. I thought I would have done myself in... though I didn't tell him that part. 

2 hours ago, besleybean said:

And yet lat year I was widowed at 55...

Oh god, that's awful, I'm sorry to hear that. 

Thanks Pseudonym.

Couldn't actually remember if I'd been on here to say.

I used to disappear from this forum from time to time, but some names I know well.

I recently messed about with my notifications...didn't quite get the result I had intended. 

But  a happy accident was that I now get all the notifications from here, that I used to...so I can dip in and out a bit more regularly.

• Like 2