Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Question for all you squash avoiders:  What's your opinion of pumpkin pie?  (Or is that pretty much a US thing?)

Sorry, no pumpkin anything for this squash avoider except to occasionally carve one because that’s fun.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Never had pumpkin pie. I think it was primarily a US thing but it's slowly spreading. 

Now I'm envisioning a gigantic pumpkin pie, slowly oooozing its way across the Atlantic floor, creeping up the beaches of Wales, and -- watch out, Pseud!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You envision correctly. It's not come ashore yet but I've seen it lurking just off the pier. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love pumpkin bars, but not so much pumpkin pie, though I can tolerate it.  I like pumpkin seeds.  I season and roast them almost every October.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I like pumpkin bars....

Do you mean like pumpkin "brownies," or more of candy-type bar?

So update on the squash situation.  I got too tired last night and lost my appetite, so I'm making it tonight instead.

It's taking way longer than I expected, because it was almost impossible to cut.  Which is probably an indicator that I need some sharper knives, but man.  It took me a half hour to get that thing sliced through.  At a few points my knife got stuck.  I almost went to look for a saw, lol.

I finally did get it open and de-seeded.  It's in the oven now.  That was so much work though, lol.  If it's not one of the best things I've ever tasted, I will probably never do this again.

• Like 1

When it gets done, you can drag a fork through it and it will string up looking like spaghetti, hence its name.

^ Yesh.  :smile:

So it turned out pretty good!  It's a little sweeter than I imagined, and it smells exactly like pumpkin, which is a little weird.  I think I may have undercooked it, even though I had it in the oven longer than the recipe directed, because it seems a bit 'al dente'.  It kind of has the consistency of hash browns, and I think it's supposed to be softer than that.  But microwaving the leftovers might fix that, and the taste is still fine.  So yay!  :happy:  Success!

• Like 2

I made spaghetti sauce to go with it, and before I put it in the oven I brushed it with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Question for all you squash avoiders:  What's your opinion of pumpkin pie?  (Or is that pretty much a US thing?)

Nope to pumpkin anything. I think it's a texture thing.

BUT … I love "pumpkin" spice! Cookies, bread, coffee creamer … it pops up in everything this time of year and I'm so happy....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Nope to pumpkin anything. I think it's a texture thing.

How do you feel about bananas and sweetpotatoes?

I know that question was for Arcadia, but I don’t like sweet potatoes either.  Bluhck.  I eat bananas occasionally because I learned they are mood boosters, but I wouldn’t say I like them.  They’re in the list of things I might eat if there’s nothing else around, but usually won’t go out of my way to get, along with pumpkin pie, carrots, and peanut butter, among others.  Some of that has to do with texture for me as well, but I can tolerate it.  Some times better than others.

I LOOOOOOVE peanut butter!

I hate it when you have a nap because you feel rough and then wake up feeling ten times worse. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nope, nope, nope. Definitely the texture, as there is a crunchy sweet potato pie that my mom used to make that I quite liked … unless I got a big old unmashed lump of sweet potato. Gah.

There's a pumpkin cheesecake I've had that I liked okay. But plain cheesecake is better.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

I LOOOOOOVE peanut butter!

I hate it when you have a nap because you feel rough and then wake up feeling ten times worse. 

Alas, I love peanut butter also, all too well. 😞 And yes, naps tend to make me useless for the rest of the day. I think if I could master the art of the 15 minute nap I'd be okay, but when I sleep, boy, I sleep.

I definitely like bananas, but you can have the sweet potato, yams (which many people call sweet potatoes), & red garnets (similar shape but darker than a yam).

2 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

... you can have the sweet potato, yams (which many people call sweet potatoes), & red garnets (similar shape but darker than a yam).

Technically, they're all sweetpotatoes.  Red garnets and the rest are merely different varieties (like Granny Smith, Fuji, and Golden Delicious are all apples).  True yams are a tropical crop, unrelated to sweetpotatoes, and found here only in specialty shops.  Sweetpotatoes are related to morning glories (though they're of course not toxic like morning glories -- even sweetpotato leaves are edible).

Huh? I had a promo email from a clothes company I like and the first line is 'Pink...it’s not just for millennials.' What? I don't get it. Are we millennials known for wearing pink? I thought we were more known for wearing skinny jeans and hoodies, and not pink ones. It also ends with the bizarrely needy line 'Let's be friends."

• Confused 2

:blink:  That's odd.  I guess I have heard of something called "Millennial Pink", which I think is sort of like a bubblegum color?  I've also seen it as a darker, hot pink/fuschia, or what I usually call "Barbie Pink".  I don't know why it's associated with Millennials, though.  Never thought much about it, 'cause generational stuff is, ya know... stupid.

It is.  :bemused:  Maybe that's how they think Millennials talk to each other, lol.