Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

On 10/12/2018 at 1:50 AM, Pseudonym said:

Something along the lines of: the increasingly overstretched infrastructure of South Wales resulting in heavy congestion

strained?

I took medical leave from my work on Friday because of gastric, because this time was quite bad. So I thought I'd have a lot of free time at home and probably could spend a couple of hours here. Anyway, the medicine would help and I would still be in fresh and sound mind. So after spending half a day at clinic, I took a breather before logging in, and passed out for couple of hours, sleeping like a piggy. Then I thought after all those I would have good and fresh eye at night and again, fell asleep before I could do anything. My weekend resumed, but everytime I touched a flat surface I would drift into dreamland. And the medicine shouldn't make me drowsy (or Sherlock messed with it), it goes with my theory that everytime I sleep a lot, I would continue to feel sleepy, while my regular 5-6 hours would keep me at my best. Does it like that for you too?

Back then when we were required to record our body temperature daily as precaution for SARS, I always recorded mine at the range of 34-35.5 C, the normal is 36-37 C. Have forgotten about it until this visit I apparently still have the body temperature of 35. Anyone like this? The doctor didn't say a thing so I guess it's not uncommon. However, it also works to my disadvantage that sometime the doctor dismisses my fever when I'm at 37. 37 is fever for me!!

2 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

strained?

Nope, that was my suggestion.  :P

10 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I apparently still have the body temperature of 35. Anyone like this? The doctor didn't say a thing so I guess it's not uncommon. However, it also works to my disadvantage that sometime the doctor dismisses my fever when I'm at 37. 37 is fever for me!!

My temp tends to run low too, and so does Mom's.  Some people say it's a sign of a slow metabolism, but Mom and I are both naturally thin (couldn't gain weight if we tried), which is supposed to be a sign of a fast metabolism.  So I figure that's just the way we are.

... everytime I touched a flat surface I would drift into dreamland. And the medicine shouldn't make me drowsy (or Sherlock messed with it), it goes with my theory that everytime I sleep a lot, I would continue to feel sleepy, while my regular 5-6 hours would keep me at my best.

Hey, if you're under the weather, your body needs more rest.

5 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

sleeping like a piggy.

Do piggies sleep especially hard?

I too have a lower than average body temp.  My fevers are sometimes dismissed and not taken seriously, so I feel your frustration there.

3 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hey, if you're under the weather, your body needs more rest.

^ Yes.  I think people ignore this too often, actually.

• Like 1

I guess so, and found that I got tired more easily when I was running, it is just dissappointing to have a day off and it went by like flash.

In our way of talking (my family) always refer to sleeping like a pig if we sleep a lot and soundly. We never used sleeping like  baby because I seriously think the one who created that term had never seen or heard or taken care of a baby overnight.

• Haha 1

Anyway, yay, temperature buddies!! I didn't find a single person like that and those who compiled our records made fun of me as cold blooded mammal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

We never used sleeping like  baby because I seriously think the one who created that term had never seen or heard or taken care of a baby overnight.

I agree, lol.  I was just curious, I'd never heard the phrase "sleeping like a piggy" before.

Anyway, yay, temperature buddies!! I didn't find a single person like that and those who compiled our records made fun of me as cold blooded mammal.

^ Ditto!

On the other hand, everytime I use sweating like a pig I'd get surprised reaction, "Pig sweats???"

Errrr,... do you guys think this guy is dissing Sherlock's enemy...or....

Screenshot-20181012-171028.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

On the other hand, everytime I use sweating like a pig I'd get surprised reaction, "Pig sweats???"

I'm not so sure that they do, actually.  They need to get wet on a regular basis in order to stay cool, which is why they'll roll in mud if no other moisture is available.  (By nature they're very clean animals, not the filthy slobs that people accuse them of being.)

I've been pondering "sleeping like a piggy," and I think I like it.  To me, sleeping like a baby implies peaceful, quiet sleep (never mind the truth!), whereas sleeping like a piggy -- well, you know those little happy noises they make when they eat?  I imagine a little piggy who's so glad to be sleeping that he's making those little happy noises.

I've heard sweating like a pig but not sleeping like one. 

How about sweating conkers, anyone use that?

6 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

How about sweating conkers, anyone use that?

We don't even say "conkers" around here, so no.  I wouldn't even know what the word means if Bilbo hadn't used it (so I looked it up).  And "sweating horse chestnuts" just doesn't have a ring to it, does it?

We do sometimes say "sweating bullets."

strained?

I took medical leave from my work on Friday because of gastric, because this time was quite bad. So I thought I'd have a lot of free time at home and probably could spend a couple of hours here. Anyway, the medicine would help and I would still be in fresh and sound mind. So after spending half a day at clinic, I took a breather before logging in, and passed out for couple of hours, sleeping like a piggy. Then I thought after all those I would have good and fresh eye at night and again, fell asleep before I could do anything. My weekend resumed, but everytime I touched a flat surface I would drift into dreamland. And the medicine shouldn't make me drowsy (or Sherlock messed with it), it goes with my theory that everytime I sleep a lot, I would continue to feel sleepy, while my regular 5-6 hours would keep me at my best. Does it like that for you too?

Back then when we were required to record our body temperature daily as precaution for SARS, I always recorded mine at the range of 34-35.5 C, the normal is 36-37 C. Have forgotten about it until this visit I apparently still have the body temperature of 35. Anyone like this? The doctor didn't say a thing so I guess it's not uncommon. However, it also works to my disadvantage that sometime the doctor dismisses my fever when I'm at 37. 37 is fever for me!!

Do piggies sleep especially hard?
I too have a lower than average body temp.  My fevers are sometimes dismissed and not taken seriously, so I feel your frustration there.

My sister, johnspec, & I all have low body temps (96-97.9f range). The last time I saw a doctor, I informed them that anything above 98f was a fever. They accepted what I said as truth. Thankfully that illness had no fever.

I'm not so sure that they do, actually.  They need to get wet on a regular basis in order to stay cool, which is why they'll roll in mud if no other moisture is available.  (By nature they're very clean animals, not the filthy slobs that people accuse them of being.)

Pigs don’t sweat or pant hence the wallowing in mud or water to stay cool. Also, the sweating and panting helps animals get rid of toxins in their bodies, pigs aren’t able to do that which could be a reason why they are considered unclean according to the Old Testament. As much as they are clean, they will attempt to eat anything they can fit in their mouths regardless of if it would be considered proper food for any animal.
  • Like 1

Ah, another temperature buddy!

You know guys, everytime I thought I'm not normal in real life, I'd come here and find you guys. (sweet smile) bahahha..

Yah, I feel very betrayed that sweating like a pig actually has nothing to do with pig.

Heard sweating bullets too, and I remember sweating corn. Yikes,  not sure where it comes from.

Eta. I actually like to challenge this kind of phrase. One time my colleague tried to use like finding needle in the hay stack, a light bulb went in my head, "Oh you complain about that? Imagine trying to find a hay in the needle stack! Good luck!"

And of course, they plagiarize it.  XD

Another friend, immature non grown-up obviously, uttered the phrase "Eat shit and die" way too often, albeit playfully to everyone. So I reply,"   You, eat shit and don't die." See who suffers more.

He loves it and now he is using that.    :rolleyes:                                                                        

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

the sound of "It's raining, it's pouring" stopped the woman from snoring,

He explained that the song had begun playing continuously due to an itsy-bitsy spider.

Lol.  They couldn't help themselves with the nursery puns.

I like to imagine the spider knew exactly what it was doing and giggled to itself every time.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was checking it's little spidery watch each evening to make sure it was setting it off an the optimal time. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't say paranoid, but any of you are tiny bit wary like me?

I have noticed them, it's obvious actually, but lately I notice more that technology is getting more intrusive and annoying. It's getting smarter and smarter but not necessary in my advantage. The ads in Youtube video is getting much more unbearable nowadays that I believe it is probably no longer subjected to the wish of the video maker? I remember it used to be before the video and there would be hardly any interruption, now the ads appears almost every few minutes in between, and sometimes longer than the video itself (if you let it). At first I thought it was collaboration, but I begin to suspect it is not from the type of ads, the variety of video it targets and how do you react to it.

It's not secret, and happens everywhere, but lately the site I frequent has a very intense algorithm that automatically switches ALL suggestions to match the last article that I read. I get that, but usually they read and form your preference over time and there are normally a good mix from various topic, not purposely dragging you down in the rabbit hole, if you let it.

And, again, I get that too, that the phone (secretly) always does its own backup or syncing or whatever, maybe I didn't know that before, but lately I've been catching it doing some installing too (on more than one devices which security and privacy set to most conservative). I have no idea what it is installing and couldn't find the trace except that I opt to uninstall or disable apps that I don't use. Sometimes I managed to stop it, but it sneakily comes back. This could be just some support for existing apps, but shouldn't everything be approved first?

And I have been annoyed by Gmail that refused to give you option to log out once it is in your device and automatically synchronize everything without me wanting to. For example, I just bought an air ticket, and it already fill my calender with that schedule. I had to disable some of the google apps to stop it from doing something funny like sending my photos to the drive when I accidentally clicked on it, again, without option to cancel.

And, I'm probably one of the very few (at least among my family) who is bothered by the kind of permission that certain apps are asking. So normally when you install apps it would state that this apps requires permission to bla bla bla. Some makes sense, but many request for ridiculous permission, for example, a simple game of chess would want permission to access your contact (including modifying it), personal identity, wifi (while it mostly played offline against built-in AI), photo gallery and location. These are getting ridiculous and I always avoid installing those apps and find other substitute. However, lately, in my latest device, It no longer asking those and proceed directly to install instead. (I don't rule out that this could be device setting too). I had tried to go through all the setting and able to trace the kind of permission they want by going through quite tedious steps. But still, now it has become (do first, ask later) and eventually you'd be too lazy to do the effort, not to mention those that don't know there are such things to watch out.

All in all, I feel those smarties are getting more and more sneaky, and facebook case doesn't exactly prove otherwise. And this is me, who live relatively in peace after deactivating my facebook  and not on other social media except here, if it counts as one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I hate tracked ads, it really freaks me out. Get an ad blocker, especially a Youtube ad blocker, I never have to watch the ads on there anymore. 

Something that's been bugging me recently is that I follow some organisations on Instagram, and because some of them are conservation/environmental charities it's recently started showing me ads for other charities, usually with horrific pictures of animal abuse that I really don't want to have to see. And Instagram doesn't give you a way of opting out other than going on each individual charities page, which would probably show me even worse, and blocking them. 

I do have some paranoia about the cameras on my phone. The one on my laptop has a sticker over it, but I use the cameras on my phone so I can't be covering them. I think you can get ones like shutters you can slide open and closed, maybe I'll look into getting one of those for the forward facing camera.

I know he's a decisive figure, but I really like Edward Snowden and watch a lot of documentaries and interviews with him, and that definitely makes you paranoid. Recently he was talking about the retina readers/facial recognition software that some phones have started employing and what a dangerous and slippery slope that could be. 

• Like 2

Oh, and one other thing, I find it bizarre that people are so chilled about having things like Amazon's Alexa in their house that, by it's very nature, is always listening. 

• Like 1

Yes, I'm bothered by all of that, and I've noticed that my internet use has become increasingly restricted to a few sites that I trust, like this one. I'd be tempted to abandon Google too, except that the last time I changed my email address it turned out to be a huge amount of work, and I lost a lot of contacts/info that I would have preferred to have kept. Too busy to go through that again right now, and don't know what would be any better anyway.

I also dislike all this auto-complete stuff. I'm perfectly capable of typing my own response to an email, thank you. I don't need a robot responding for me.

• Like 1