Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

LOL, one of my friends just told me it's my hate that keeps me looking young

Interesting because I look 15-20 years younger than I am and I’m the opposite of that.

It was a joke, I’m not actually full of hate. 

I blame my not realizing it was a joke on my general perpetual tiredness as I adjust from being a night owl to being an early bird for work when leg still having to close 2 nights a week.
  • Sad 2

I'm not a teetotaler, but I hardly ever drink alcohol because I don't particularly like the taste.  I suppose if I'm ever at one of those weddings where they put a glass of wine at each place for toasts, I might have a few sips.  But if it was up to me to pour wine into my glass, I'd probably just toast with water.

Same here: I don't have any particular objection to alcohol, it's just that, with a few exceptions, I simply don't like the taste of the stuff. Or the cost of it, but I'll take a sip if it's on someone else's dime. :P

• Like 1

I like the taste of wine and beer but I don't drink any alcohol either because there's a strong tendency towards alcoholism on both sides of my family and I would rather not take any risks. (How do I know about the taste? My dad let me try his drinks when I was a teenager) 

• Like 1

I’ve tried a sip of wine, champagne, and beer, just to see, and did not like the taste (or smell) of any of them.  Bluhck.

And I like it way too much. That's why I I stay away from it all. I am happy for people who can drink responsibly but not willing to try and see if I am one of them. 

• Like 6

Just noticed that the calendar on my phone shows Black Friday at the end of this week -- but does not mention Thanksgiving Day on Thursday.  :huh:  That's like showing Boxing Day but not Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just noticed that the calendar on my phone shows Black Friday at the end of this week -- but does not mention Thanksgiving Day on Thursday.  :huh:

Not surprised at that.  The holiday commemorating the founding of the New World has been demoted to merely "The day we have to kill before the stores reopen."

• Haha 1

Thanksgiving Day is the U.S. version of a harvest festival.  But it's often tied to stories about the early colonists starving (literally, in some cases) during their first winter, then learning helpful agricultural techniques from the local tribes, resulting in a good harvest followed by a commemorative feast to which the settlers invited their benefactors before shipping them off to reservations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh yah sorry, I know what Thanksgiving is!

I didn't quite get the connection with the 'New World'.

Same world, just people moving around it!

Ah, right -- not a newly discovered planet.  :D

We use the term "New World" quite a lot in reference to the Americas.

Actually it's a bit east-centric, isn't it?  :P  The continents west of the Atlantic have been here for millions of years, and there have been people living on them for thousands of years.  The people east of the Atlantic just didn't know about them.

• Like 2

Yeah, I get all that...still doesn't mke it a New World- certainly not to the people already there.

Well other than with their encounters with incomers, of course.

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanksgiving Day is the U.S. version of a harvest festival.  But it's often tied to stories about the early colonists starving (literally, in some cases) during their first winter, then learning helpful agricultural techniques from the local tribes, resulting in a good harvest followed by a commemorative feast to which the settlers invited their benefactors before shipping them off to reservations.

Pessimist. :D 

That too. :P 

Were the east coast Indians ever put in reservations? I can't remember. Or did they just manage to hide out for awhile? I know there were still Cherokee in North Carolina when we lived there, but never learned their history.

There are some reservations in eastern states, but some eastern tribes were forcibly relocated further west.  There are also a few cases where members of a tribe pooled their resources and bought land further east than the US government wanted to put them.

• Thanks 1