Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Ah. Then I don't know what you're referring to, I didn't realize we ever had such laws. Before my time, perhaps? :P 

I think where it gets messy is when you are a person who has great influence over others and just the fact that you intensely dislike a certain other person or group and make this public can be taken as justification for or even a call to violence by your followers without you ever having to explicitly make any suggestions or demands. 

• Like 1

Yes and then there are the instances of staged outrage.

The Salman Rushdie affair, for instance.

He received a public apology from a group who freely admitted, they had been instructed by a senior cleric, to act as though they were offended by his work.

• Sad 1

Merry Christmas, everyone! Going to my sister's this morning for breakfast. We had our extended family Christmas last Sunday, but my sister includes me in certain things so I won't be by myself on Christmas Day. Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas everyone! We basically did our stuff yesterday with family, today I relax and play with my presents (I got a jigsaw puzzle, yay.) :D Peace and joy to all.

What's the picture on your puzzle?  Or is it one of those that comes in a plain box, so that you don't know what it is till you've finished assembling it?

Map of the world, but filled with tiny pictures of things each continent is known for, like the Taj Mahal, or cowboys.

• Thanks 1

Today, in somebody else's bathroom, I saw a bottle of dishwashing liquid lined up on the edge of the tub with the shampoos and shower gels. I can't get this anomaly out of my head and keep wondering what Sherlock would make of it. Didn't know the people well enough to ask without being awkward. 

Might have been used to get something else out of someone’s hair.  I tried a new shampoo once which, after a few uses, had my hair coated in a waxy substance that left it stiff and crinkly like paper when dried.  I rinsed and washed my hair with other shampoos over and over again trying to get it out, but nothing worked.  I finally turned to the internet, and other people experiencing the same problem suggested dishwashing liquid (in small amounts, because it’s very rough on hair).

I keep a bottle of dishwashing detergent and a bottle of liquid laundry detergent in the bathroom cupboard, and use them, somewhat interchangeably, for random jobs.  One thing is cleaning the toilet, both at home at at Mom's.  I don't like to keep hazardous chemicals in the house, so I use dishwashing detergent (after all, it's meant for porcelain, isn't it?).  I usually add some disinfectant and/or mineral-deposit remover.  I also use either detergent for washing minor laundry by hand, though I suspect that our regular liquid hand soap might work just as well.

In the kitchen, we keep dishwashing liquid in pump bottles, and also use it for washing our hands.

11 hours ago, besleybean said:

My old school pal used to wash her hair with washing up liquid.

As I recall, [Br] "washing up" = [Am] "doing the dishes."  Therefore I assume that [Br] "washing up liquid" (a new term to me) = [Am] "dishwashing liquid"?  That is, the soap-like stuff that you use in order to get your dishes clean?

British naturally "wash up" after a meal, whereas Americans "wash up" before a meal, because over here it means washing one's hands and possibly face, etc. -- i.e., making oneself presentable.  As has probably already been said, it's a wonder that we understand each other at all!

• Like 1

Some of us also "wash up" after a meal, but that means doing the dishes, not ourselves. :smile: 

Context is everything!

• Like 1
  • Tongue 1

While Googling "washing up" (though I don't now recall why), I came upon this discussion, which includes this aside by one Paul Danon (and even though I am not familiar with his references, I thoroughly enjoyed his "definitions"):

Which brings me to my latest medley of those wavy, coloured words which you have to type-in before posting a comment. Far from being random strings, they are genuine lexemes, usually non-English and rich in connotation, if not actual meaning.

Messingl - German, small town in Bavaria renowned for practical joking; avoid this Thursday
restial - church-calendar, midweek feast-day on which no work is done
cogami - Japanese, art of folding raw fish into interesting shapes
pecheeki - Belgian, rude statue in Brussels street
Fortha - Irish, national army
freganti - Italian, illicit pleasures
manogra - pharmaceuticals, male aphrodisiac
Volemite - Australian, spread made from crushed rodents
ohions - American, midwestern vegetables
woksie - Chinese, music made with frying-pans

• Confused 1

What the hell do you call the stuff you use to wash your dishes?

And I speak as someone who doesn't even use the term 'dishes'...but that's a whole other thing!

Happy New Year, my fine fellow forum frequenters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1