Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I remember when I was a kid I had a T-shirt with words 'Born on the fourth of July' and had no idea what it was supposed to mean, and thought it was just those birthday T-shirt. Then when I was older I knew there was a movie with the same title and yet I STILL didn't know what was the significance (didn't watch the movie). Couple of days ago I read the news about Trump's plan for military parade on fourth of July and it still took me a while to click.

@parties. Ah yes, I have similar thought of asking Americans, since we from outside see these all the times in movies and shows. Why there are engagement party, gender reveal party, baby shower, and now graduation party too... so many parties. And I'm also amazed by prom pictures where students dress up as if they attend the Oscar. Limos, extravagant gowns and suits, aren't they high schoolers, how do they afford that and what is it to celebrate? I'm soooo glad my school didn't have prom culture, that would be annoying and source of problem with popularity thingy. I think there were only Christmas parties in my school back then and some Halloween parties that I didn't bother to attend except once or twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

when I was a kid I had a T-shirt with words 'Born on the fourth of July' and had no idea what it was supposed to mean

Specifically, it's a line from the song "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (written by George M. Cohan, who really was born on July 4th), but of course that line is a reference to US Independence Day.  (Here's a movie trailer that starts with a few lines from the song -- sorry, it can't be embedded.)

22 minutes ago, J.P. said:

it's also the title of Oliver Stone's Born on the 4th of July about Ron Kovic

No argument, and that movie may well have been the inspiration for VBS's t-shirt.  But the song has been around a lot longer, and I'm willing to bet that it influenced the choice of that movie title.

14 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

@parties. Ah yes, I have similar thought of asking Americans, since we from outside see these all the times in movies and shows. Why there are engagement party, gender reveal party, baby shower, and now graduation party too... so many parties. And I'm also amazed by prom pictures where students dress up as if they attend the Oscar. Limos, extravagant gowns and suits, aren't they high schoolers, how do they afford that and what is it to celebrate? I'm soooo glad my school didn't have prom culture, that would be annoying and source of problem with popularity thingy. I think there were only Christmas parties in my school back then and some Halloween parties that I didn't bother to attend except once or twice.

I never went to my prom.  I couldn't have even if I wanted to, but I didn't want to.  It always sounded so boring.  People older than me told me I'd regret not going, but I never have.

I think gender reveal parties are a relatively new phenomenon.  Some parties used to be common but seem to have gone out of fashion.  I can't remember the last time I heard of someone having a Sweet 16, for instance.

I don't enjoy parties, but I'm not against them.  Generally speaking I think they're good things.  Milestones should be celebrated.  We have little enough to celebrate in life as it is.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:16 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I remember when I was a kid I had a T-shirt with words 'Born on the fourth of July' and had no idea what it was supposed to mean, and thought it was just those birthday T-shirt. Then when I was older I knew there was a movie with the same title and yet I STILL didn't know what was the significance (didn't watch the movie). 

I suspect watching the movie wouldn't have made you any wiser; I don't recall that the actual holiday had anything to do with the story, the title was just referring to the (supposed) irony of a man born on Independence Day becoming an anti-war protestor. But you'd have to know Independence Day  is always on the 4th to get the reference.

And I share your and Artemis' opinion of parties … unless they're with people I really know and like, I'd just as soon avoid them. And since I don't know and like that many people.... :smile: 

My idea of a really fun party is to play silly board games with clever people. The kind of party where you just stand around with a drink in your hand and try to think of something to say to strangers is my idea of hell.  

On 7/6/2019 at 2:48 AM, Artemis said:

I don't enjoy parties, but I'm not against them.  Generally speaking I think they're good things.  Milestones should be celebrated.  We have little enough to celebrate in life as it is.

I would agree but only to certain extent, because somehow imho, it seems like parties are mostly used to... show off?  Maybe I had seen/heard too many of those.

For example, I really couldn't stand the story of distant relatives who spent a lot, I mean a lot of money for their weddings, while they were both unemployed/just start working, relying on their parents, who supported it, because it's their 'reputation'.

And an ex-colleague of mine who was let go unfairly, all he stressed about was providing a lavish wedding for his son/daughter, which, being a good friend that I was, told him honestly that it is a very crappy reason and if his kid want expensive wedding, he/she should work for it. Because I couldn't stand seeing how sad he was, saving every penny, leading a very humble and hard life, had health problems while the kid didn't seem to understand what he went through. (well I know because he told me).

And I winced at kid's birthday parties on the age when, technically, they still understand nothing. Of course it's not my business, just the ones that I know are normally forced by the parent who is not the bread winner, in a household with plethora of expenses and high living cost country. Parties are expensive, and at the end of the day, after screaming and crying children, messy 'party', all you see is a very very tired and stressed Dad, wasteful stuffs and you-need-a-lifetime-to-play-with-them toys. I only attended once, once, but my youngest brother is destined to do that forever. I feel for him but there is no way I would go through that again.

And I'd be honest, outside the couple, probably their parents, who really give a fish about a baby's gender actually? Who cares?

I'm going to grow old friendless is it??? Grumpy and witchy?? What gives?

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My idea of a really fun party is to play silly board games with clever people

Yes! That.

Used to have travelling buddies where we played Scrabble etc until we forgot to sleep. Two of them visited me last month, it was fun but it won't be easy to get together.. but wait, three of them are working together now. (two of us left the company but one just came back) so it'd be on me to complete the four.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I would agree but only to certain extend, because somehow imho, it seems like parties are mostly used to... show off?

I’ve really only seen that happen with weddings, but that’s just my experience.  Most of the people in my circle throw fairly modest parties, when they do throw one.  Even weddings.  I only see lavish parties on TV.

I think birthday parties for one- and two-year-olds are silly, because the kid isn’t likely to remember it anyway.  But I suppose some people just use it as an excuse to get together.  What baffles me more than that are those parents who spend a fortune to take their babies to Disney World. Whyyyy?

I can actually answer that because my sis-in-law did something I consider similar; she read The Hobbit to her kids when they were wayyyyyy too young to get anything out of it. Why? Because SHE enjoyed it. That's all. At least it didn't cost the family a lot of money.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Artemis said:

What baffles me more than that are those parents who spend a fortune to take their babies to Disney World. Whyyyy?

Kids no older than 2 don't pay *anything* at Disney, as a rule - neither food, nor tickets, nor lodging, assuming the family's staying at a Disney hotel. Also, there's this thing called Baby Swap (bit long to explain but basically, saves on queueing time). So those parents probably enjoy Disney just fine (not that there's anything wrong by having fun at WDW as an adult :smile: ), with no extra cost for the little one, and the kid's just their excuse for going because they don't want to admit that the trip is really for them. :P

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

At least it didn't cost the family a lot of money.

Yeah, I guess that’s why it doesn’t really seem like the same thing to me at all, lol.

12 minutes ago, Caya said:

Kids no older than 2 don't pay *anything* at Disney, as a rule - neither food, nor tickets, nor lodging, assuming the family's staying at a Disney hotel.

The parents have to pay for themselves, though, including airline tickets.

You’re both right though, it’s probably just that the parents enjoy it and need an excuse to go.  I grew up really poor and we could only afford to go to Disney World 1 time in our lives, after years of saving plus a surprise bonus from my dad’s work.  So it’s just hard for me to imagine throwing that kind of money on trip that seems, to me, wasted.  I would save it for when my kids were older and could get something out of it.  But I guess that’s just penny-pincher mentality talking.

I used to wonder why parents took babies to movies, especially loud action movies, where the baby would inevitably start crying. Then I spoke to one young mother, who said she was just desperate to do something besides stay home and take care of the kid … and either couldn't afford or couldn't find a babysitter. And she wanted to see a movie SHE would enjoy, because the kid wasn't going to care either way. It still annoys me when a baby starts crying in a theater, but it's now tempered with a little sympathy for the parent. Although it seems to happen less than it used to … maybe they're more willing to wait until the video comes out, these days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... my sis-in-law [....] read The Hobbit to her kids when they were wayyyyyy too young to get anything out of it.

Don't be too sure about that last part.  When I was a toddler, my bachelor uncle would babysit for me.  At first he was bewildered about how to entertain me, but my parents told him I enjoyed being read to.  He didn't care to read my kiddy books, though, so he read me Treasure Island (for the same reason your SiL read The Hobbit).  And I swear that when I saw the book adapted on television many years later, the plot was familiar.  I suppose there are other possible explanations, but I do believe that little kids often understand/remember a lot more than adults think they do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Caya said:

Kids no older than 2 don't pay *anything* at Disney, as a rule - neither food, nor tickets, nor lodging, assuming the family's staying at a Disney hotel. Also, there's this thing called Baby Swap (bit long to explain but basically, saves on queueing time). So those parents probably enjoy Disney just fine (not that there's anything wrong by having fun at WDW as an adult :smile: ), with no extra cost for the little one, and the kid's just their excuse for going because they don't want to admit that the trip is really for them. :P

Count me as one who enjoys kids activities. That, I can understand. In fact, I had just brought my dog on a boat trip for dolphin watching and I don't think he understands it. XD

I think the main thing that annoys me of people spending and showing off is when they do it on the expense of another party, literally and figuratively, and the genuineness is lost because I don't think they themselves enjoy it much, the main goal is just that: something to brag in social media, therefore my example of lavish wedding and kid party, when I know that the parent and the husband suffer. One of these days I'll share my 'observation' of someone in the family about weird life of people who are obsessed with social media and how fake it is, but I guess you guys know someone like that too.  

My first Disney trip I was mid thirty XD, I think my childhood leisure was public swimming pool we went to once in a while, but no regret though, we have awesome fantasy world.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I used to wonder why parents took babies to movies, especially loud action movies, where the baby would inevitably start crying. Then I spoke to one young mother, who said she was just desperate to do something besides stay home and take care of the kid … and either couldn't afford or couldn't find a babysitter. And she wanted to see a movie SHE would enjoy, because the kid wasn't going to care either way. It still annoys me when a baby starts crying in a theater, but it's now tempered with a little sympathy for the parent. Although it seems to happen less than it used to … maybe they're more willing to wait until the video comes out, these days.

I can't say I feel the same when a baby starts to cry in theatre, but mostly the one that annoys me too much are not that, since I hardly see any babies, but mostly kids who run around disturbing other patrons while the parents do nothing, and they are watching movies that are certainly not in their age group, with significant amount of violence or not appropriate content. Well, we can say that nowadays they get those anyway from internet, but mostly it's the heck care my kids are adorable they can do anything they want in public place attitude that I can't stand. But not only kids though, a lot of adults are annoying as well.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

In fact, I had just brought my dog on a boat trip for dolphin watching and I don't think he understands it. XD

Did the boat trip cost like $3000 though?  :P  It's not the activity I don't understand, it's the cost of the activity.  For me the cost of a trip to Disney World would only be worth it if I were bringing family members old enough to enjoy it.  To me it seems an extravagant vacation for just a couple and a baby, but I guess that's just my weirdo upbringing. 

I still don't think it's cute when I see people posting videos of their baby meeting the Disney characters and whatnot, as if the baby even knows what's happening.  (I don't find babies cute in general though, so there's that.)

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think my childhood leisure was public swimming pool we went to once in a while,

I didn't have a pool available, but I swam in the lakes a handful of times.  It was fun, until it started to feel gross.  The weeds squished between my toes, and there was muck and fish poop in the water.  One time I kept being followed by a floating pile of human poop.  No matter where or how far I swam, I couldn't escape it.  That was the last time I swam in a lake, lol.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

Did the boat trip cost like $3000 though?  :P

Not at all. Five of us, each of us cost around 20-50 bucks. That is the price range from direct and staying overnight. But I won't tell you where and how :P. Does anyone know video hosting that doesn't require signing up? I do have some video of it taken from phone.

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

That was the last time I swam in a lake.

Yup, lakes can be yucky, I had bad experiences  well which doubled my fear of fish back then, but there are gorgeous lakes that I enjoyed swimming in a lot.

Anyway,  there are a lot of parents out there who really know what they are doing and it's great to see actually adorable kids, too bad they are many more who ruin the family group reputation in general, especially those who don't bother to discipline their kids. What I want to say is, although I'm not one, I know full well how hard it is to be good parents. So if you are one, don't worry about grumpy non-parents, we are mostly scared away by others, and some event scars for life, like you, that one kid, you know who you are, who ran and scream like caveman (sorry caveman) in subway and almost knocked me down when I was in torturous pain from toothache that made my face swollen like a balloon. I guess that was the point of never return XD, I have never looked at those little human without suspicion that you would not ruin my day until proven otherwise ever again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Does anyone know video hosting that doesn't require signing up? I do have some video of it taken from phone.

I don’t know of one, sorry.  But wouldn’t you rather sign up?  If you don’t sign up then you don’t have control of your video, if you want to delete it later or whatever.

I would like to see your video, if ever you post it.  :smile: 

After trying and don't understand the other video hostings, it's easier that I just make a new email account for Youtube uploading, weird name to keep it just here. Sorry about the resolution, somehow I think it got converted or the original is not good, only took this from camera phone.

This is about one-third of the watch, the rest, as said, I wanted to enjoy it with my eyes. :)

I tried to put the video in spoiler box but doesn't seem to work. update: it works!

Spoiler

test

test

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool!  That must have been really nice, actually being right there (so that you could see them even better than we can on our little computer screens).  Did they make any noises (other than maybe *splash* I mean)?

I think that must be a different type of dolphin from what I've seen off the California coast.  Of course I saw those only from a distance, so I can't be sure., but I think their dorsal fins were a different shape. 

• Thanks 1

Awesome! And I don't think it's worthless at all. 😉 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not long ago I have just found out about murder mystery subscription box, what do you guys think of those if money were no object?

Subcription box is new concept to me, don't have them where I stay, or at least I don't know if they exist. I guess it's extra spending, buying cat in the sack, but if I have spare fund, I think i'd be interested in two types; dog's (toy and treat) sub box, provided they are good quality and aforementioned murder mystery. It works like this (uneducated guess),  we'd receive clues, information and background on the case and I think we could actually go around hunting for answer by following leads, which extends to features in real life, maybe something as simple as counting the steps of a building once we have decode the address or name of the building to proceed to next step etc, it's like.....giving us chance to be Sherlock.

I had never heard of that either, but there are apparently a number of mystery subscription boxes to choose from.  Here's one person's list of the best ones, and here's another person's.

Sounds pretty cool, actually -- sort of like participating in an escape room, but in the comfort of one's own home (and minus the travel expense -- I don't get the impression that one needs to go anywhere, unless maybe there's, say, a London version or a New York City version).  Not cheap, though!

• Thanks 1

Sorry if I sound like a broken record...

But I can only keep strongly recommending the BBC Sherlock escape room in London.

Great fun.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Not long ago I have just found out about murder mystery subscription box, what do you guys think of those if money were no object?

Subcription box is new concept to me, don't have them where I stay, or at least I don't know if they exist. I guess it's extra spending, buying cat in the sack, but if I have spare fund, I think i'd be interested in two types; dog's (toy and treat) sub box, provided they are good quality and aforementioned murder mystery. It works like this (uneducated guess),  we'd receive clues, information and background on the case and I think we could actually go around hunting for answer by following leads, which extends to features in real life, maybe something as simple as counting the steps of a building once we have decode the address or name of the building to proceed to next step etc, it's like.....giving us chance to be Sherlock.

I haven't ever heard of these either, sounds like it could be fun.

The Washington Post newspaper sponsors something like that every year (or used to) … you get clues in the paper, then follow them to a place where there's another set of clues, etc. But you actually have to be in the city to do it. I'd love to try it but I can never figure out even the first clue. But that sounds more fun to me than just sitting at home solving clues.

• Like 1