Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I must confess I don't really know enough about the calendar...

so much of it is social convention, not changing how many days in the year etc!

So for instance I prefer the Persian(and other nations) system of having New Yearat the Spring Equinox...why on Earth do we have it in January?

1 hour ago, besleybean said:

I prefer the Persian(and other nations) system of having New Year at the Spring Equinox...why on Earth do we have it in January?

Apparently because that's when the days start getting longer again -- thus the beginning of a new cycle.

I suppose fair enough.

Altho the shortest day is 21 Dec, you don't relly notice the increasing light until January...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 9:06 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

At dusk ths evening there was a flock of robins on our lawn. 

On 2/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Tonight, though, we've been hearing coyotes yipping nearby,

On 2/22/2020 at 6:35 PM, Artemis said:

Coyote noises are just about a nightly occurrence around my place.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:51 AM, Arcadia said:

Around here, it's foxes I worry about. And hawks. And eagles.

I have told you guys that I'm imagining you all stay in fantasy world that have internet and Sherlock.

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my

I know this one is some kind of phrase only

(Actually, bears have been seen around here...)

On 2/24/2020 at 8:03 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

And there are a few bobcats in the state, plus the occasional stray mountain lion (puma)

Adopt me. I know it's probably not fun, but sounds fun.

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:21 PM, Arcadia said:

8 hours??? Of loons?

There's a pun in there somewhere. This would be a good time for VBS to show up. :D 

Me???? Pun joke???? :angel:

Someone here told me her sister said it's the lowest form of jokes, but I'm willing to do anything just to annoy that someone. :D

On 2/29/2020 at 3:45 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Van Buren Supernova (or Vacation Bible School, if you prefer).

NOOOOOOO

On 3/1/2020 at 2:20 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

When we're out and about, we make a point of washing our hands before eating.  We avoid eating things like supermarket samples ('cause God knows who else has had their paws in there) or finger food at parties (same reason).  We stopped drinking from water fountains after seeing people sucking water from them.  Alex even stopped filling his mug from the office water dispenser after seeing other people refilling their water bottles with the neck of the bottle touching the spout.  Call us paranoid, but we hardly ever get colds any more, just one every few years.

Not paranoid. I particularly avoid toothpick like plague, unless they are individually wrapped, I have heard stories and seen myself that people like to play with them, or worse, use and put it back. 

On 2/29/2020 at 8:20 PM, Arcadia said:

I was speaking with a friend of mine yesterday, a former nurse, and she is of the opinion that the threat from this virus is rather overblown, that it's no more dangerous than any other flu; just newer. She was listening to a doctor who's an expert in these things, she says. Sooooo …. let's hope they're both right.

This is outdated opinion right? Let me read continue to read the rest of the thread before I throw something at you

On 3/1/2020 at 2:20 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm inclined to agree.

and you

Hey I'm at the end of the thread you guys haven't changed or added what you have said so here are tomatoes!!

I actually think the threat of the virus is more likely underestimated than overblown, mostly because we don't know much about it yet.

The dangerous factor imho are: people who are asymptomatic have the ability to spread it, which is very alarming, and the time range of someone being exposed and finally tested positive varies from immediate to prolonged length of time. And the possibility of false negative, there are cases when someone being tested positive after multiple negatives. These three factors carry the ability of it being spread in uncontrollable way, and we don't really know yet how it really impact and complicate other conditions, they are since questioning the spreading methods, what bodily fluid etc etc. The unknown is worrisome. 

And as mentioned from what we have seen, it's very capable of crippling the world's economy.

And we have started to see how very ugly we really are, blind racism (really??? racist people are really the most idiotic kind), hoarding, taking advantage of the situation (the opportunists selling unqualified or reused masks is very appalling to me), if the situation gets worse I can easily see full blown human ugliness when people are in survival mode.

4 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

On 2/23/2020 at 4:51 PM, Arcadia said:

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my

I know this one is some kind of phrase only

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I actually think the threat of the virus is more likely underestimated than overblown, mostly because we don't know much about it yet.

I think my friend was referring to the symptoms, rather than to how it's spreading. Some people are of the opinion that it's mostly dangerous to people who would be in danger from any flu; in other words, most people who get it are not going to die from it. The real problem is that more people than usual are going to get it, because we don't have a vaccine for it.

At least, I think that what she meant. As I say, I hope she's right, because it's coming for us, either way.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 4:35 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Adopt me. I know it's probably not fun, but sounds fun.

Hey, you already accepted my invitation to visit, but you never showed up!  :P

On 3/12/2020 at 4:58 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I particularly avoid toothpick like plague, unless they are individually wrapped, I have heard stories and seen myself that people like to play with them, or worse, use and put it back

:wacko:

I used to carry my own toothpicks (then I found a wonderful dentist and don't need them nearly as much).  I definitely re-used my own.  The good ones are very sturdy, so I can understand why someone might feel guilty over throwing one away.  But ewwww!!!

On 3/12/2020 at 8:56 AM, Arcadia said:

Some people are of the opinion that it's mostly dangerous to people who would be in danger from any flu; in other words, most people who get it are not going to die from it. The real problem is that more people than usual are going to get it, because we don't have a vaccine for it.

I've read where some doctors have said basically what you just paraphrased.  Of course there's a lot we don't yet know, but so far it looks like the main danger is in the number of cases possible.  As with the swine flu panic of the late 70's, though, we won't have a really clear idea of the dangers until the actual epidemic is over.

Caution is definitely advised.  I personally would avoid public buffets like the (so to speak) plague.

Outside the local store this morning there was a line of people waiting to get in and buy toilet paper.  I know someone who stocks shelves there and he said that people were grabbing it out of his hands last night.

ES0XHSUWAAA78vv.jpg

I'm a tad disappointed that some movies I've been waiting to see have been delayed.  But I guess at least I'll have the theater to myself for the ones that are still being released on schedule.  :P  The theater should be nice and clean too, as I've gotten several emails in the last few days from the local theater promising to deep clean and disinfect all day long.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

Outside the local store this morning there was a line of people waiting to get in and buy toilet paper.  I know someone who stocks shelves there and he said that people were grabbing it out of his hands last night.

Is this plague-related?  Or have I missed the news about a shortage?

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is this plague-related?

Yes.  People are worried about being quarantined without enough toilet paper.  They’re going to create a shortage if they don’t knock it off.  Target has started limiting toilet paper, hand sanitizer, bottled water, and other items people are going crazy for to 1 pack per customer.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Artemis said:

People are worried about being quarantined without enough toilet paper.  They’re going to create a shortage if they don’t knock it off.

Thank goodness we keep a generous supply on hand at all times!

14 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hey, you already accepted my invitation to visit, but you never showed up!  :P

I feel reluctant, cause you and I are introverts,  I'm sure you are sincere, so am I when I actually invite people, but not so deep down I'm terrified if they really show up XD.

Also, if I look like my avatar, will you scream and whack my head with a pot?

14 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

so I can understand why someone might feel guilty over throwing one away.  But ewwww!!!

Worse, the ones in question are simply wooden toothpicks. I don't seem them too much in restaurants anymore nowadays. Thankfully I don't really need them, unless I eat something like corn on the cob or mango.

P.S I clicked save icon in order to save my draft, as I have something to attend to now, but apparently it means submit. Oh well.. will get back later.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I'm sure you are sincere, so am I when I actually invite people, but not so deep down I'm terrified if they really show up

It's more like "nervous" in my case (and likewise when I'm visiting other people).  Nevertheless, I tend to enjoy the visit, overall, and look back on it with a smile.  Just don't expect me to understand the social niceties!  (Such as hostess gifts, thank-you notes, and whose turn is it to pay in a restaurant.  I hate social niceties!)

the ones in question are simply wooden toothpicks.

That's the kind I was talking about.  The nice smooth ones really can last a long while if properly cared for.  I had a tiny glass vial (I think it had contained homeopathic pills) that I carried half a dozen toothpicks in.  One would splinter occasionally, but otherwise they stayed new-looking for an amazingly long time.  (I did *not* loan them out, however!)

I clicked save icon in order to save my draft, as I have something to attend to now, but apparently it means submit.

Right, the current software can't seem to make up its mind what to call that function, but submit does seem to be all that's available.  (The old software had a save-draft button for the very first post on a message thread -- and/or perhaps on a forum thread -- but I don't see even that now.)  But do come back later!

16 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Also, if I look like my avatar, will you scream and whack my head with a pot?

And if she does, will Alex videotape it and post it here? Please? :D 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Well, it's happened ... I am officially unemployed for at least two weeks. The place where I teach has decided to shut down for the rest of the month. No plans for me to make up the lost income, either. Arrgh. On the happy side, I sold two paintings this week, so I guess my cat won't starve. :smile:  

• Like 4

Gosh, I feel so privileged having all the social security protecting my back. It will be a hard year, when the effects of demand decrease (except for noodles and toilet paper) and broken delivery chains start to show, but at least I don't have to worry about things like that for now. At the moment the biggest concern is staying healthy in the time of soon-to-be overflowing hospitals and overworked doctors an nurses. Because people are idiots and throw big parties before the announced shut-down. Some folks' statements make me want to throw up and then kill them.
I'm curious about the Monday - after bringing several hundred people together last weekend my company thinks of letting as many employees as possible working from home-office. whoopdedoo.gif

Have I wrote I hate leap years? And people.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, J.P. said:

after bringing several hundred people together last weekend my company thinks of letting as many employees as possible working from home-office.

Maybe that's so they can keep working even though they caught the virus over the weekend?

• Haha 2

I'm more worried about all the small business people around here than anyone else. So many of us are just a few customers away from not being able to make the rent, etc. Can't exactly telework to the coffee shop, for instance.

We have been cursed with interesting times.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2020 at 1:19 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Such as hostess gifts, thank-you notes,

Wait whattt...

Maybe because I really don't have proper hosting-guest experience. I hardly ever be a guest or a host, at all.

But talking about necessity, I just had a..near death experience two weeks ago; my neighbour had a function, some kind of house warming, what an Adrenalin rush is it?!???

As I probably had mentioned before, I stay in a cluster of ten houses where almost all of my neighbor do some kind of facelift or lately, major overhaul of their house. There are neverending construction work, one after another. And after that, they would make some kind of house warming gathering. In the past, I had managed to escape from couple of them because I got the invitation first, by magically disappear on the said date, once I even brought mom who happened to visit and my dog aimlessly for a car ride.

But now, I'm juggling to stay between two places and hardly sleep at home, come back at odd hours so I didn't get the invitation because they didn't meet me. I didn't know what's going on but when I pulled near the house, there was a parking havoc and there I saw it, the elaborate decoration on their newly finished home (that is the local style). I swore I parked so  fast but the hostess still managed to run to catch me as I was closing the gate. It was day long event, and Sunday is the only day I could be at home, so I can't escape so I said I would drop by later and went out for weekly grocery but it stressed me out all the time. I worried it's improper if I dropped by without anything so had to scrap something, I really don't know what is the norm, but I think I have to bring something yes? I have this new bottles of room refresher oil I asked my friend to help me buy for me overseas some time ago that seems quite appropriate. It's not expensive yet it's proper enough. How unfair, I have to go attending something I don't want to, meeting people I don't want to meet, whom (?) they most probably don't want to meet either but they feel like they have to, give something I actually want for myself, and forced to accept food that I don't want to eat, wasting time that I don't have and stressing me out on my only day off.  There is something wrong in the system! Dropped by and quickly found excuse to leave, in total I was there for 4 minutes but that was because they asked me to wait (they packed me some snacks and food). 

On 3/16/2020 at 8:17 AM, J.P. said:

Have I wrote I hate leap years?

When I still followed Olympic I like it.

February 29th and January 1st is also my favorite fake birthday, mainly because I'd have trouble to remember if I choose other dates. But 31 of months end with 30 is my favorite too. Say, I would love to throw housewarming on 31st of April or September.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:17 AM, J.P. said:

And people.

This is one of the reason we are all here. I'm glad you guys are just intelligent pixelated avatars.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:27 AM, Arcadia said:

Well, it's happened ... I am officially unemployed for at least two weeks. The place where I teach has decided to shut down for the rest of the month. No plans for me to make up the lost income, either. Arrgh. On the happy side, I sold two paintings this week, so I guess my cat won't starve.

I've been running on deficit and spending my savings away instead of earning money, but that is not because of corona. At terrifying time, I even had a moment or two to wonder if it's better that I go back to sell my soul. Hang in there, although it's really annoying that it's so expensive to stay alive.

17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

From innovation of internet to common existence of plastic to improve life to environmental problem, from connectivity used to be some kind of very luxury activities to the world about coming to a halt now that we are expect to stand still. Yes, I think it's interesting times that proves my previous point; not only life is a b*tch, it has puppies too.

11 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I really don't know what is the norm, but I think I have to bring something yes?

Yes, unfortunately.  It might be fun to be invited over to see someone's new residence or newly-redecorated home, but the invitation seems to be just a demand for presents.  One time the people actually sent me a list of what they'd like to receive (like a bridal registry).  It's like when people throw themselves a birthday party.  In either case they can say on the invitation "no presents, please," and that makes it OK in my opinion.  But hardly anyone does that.

18 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

not only life is a b*tch, it has puppies too.

:rofl:

On 3/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, Arcadia said:

I'm more worried about all the small business people around here than anyone else. So many of us are just a few customers away from not being able to make the rent, etc. Can't exactly telework to the coffee shop, for instance.

My brother-in-law owns a small dry cleaning business in our small town and business is already slowing down. I usually work on Tuesdays but I got everything pressed yesterday and nothing else came in so I'm home today. We launder a lot of shirts for bankers, lawyers and school administrators but if all of these institutions are closed or cut back (which schools and the courts already have been) I worry about the stores future. I know we are in difficult times and realize the health of our citizens is important I just wish there was more talk of helping the small businesses who will really suffer instead of already hearing about the airlines or other big businesses and what assistance they need.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My work in the funeral industry was suspended today "until further notice," so that's great.  Not sure what I'm going to do now to make up that income, and I need every penny.  I have a little savings but it won't go very far.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

My work in the funeral industry was suspended today

:huh:  Are people being told to stop dying till further notice?

Or are traditional funerals and visitations being discouraged?

7 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

:huh:  Are people being told to stop dying till further notice?

Or are traditional funerals and visitations being discouraged?

The latter.  People are postponing funeral services, or foregoing them entirely.  A few are having private family burials, with just the closest family members.  The industry itself isn't discouraging them, but they're being told by the health administration and etc. to avoid crowds and gatherings.

• Thanks 1