Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I was pretty blithe about the whole thing at the beginning, and I'm still hopeful, but I'm starting to get nervous. Don't know how long I can survive with no income.

Same.  :(  

I'm already starting to forget what day it is, etc.

This is one effect I'm not feeling, 'cause my days normally blur together, lol.

Also I can't get very motivated.

I guess the bright side, on my end, is that I'm actually more productive right now.  Now that I don't have a job wiping me out every day, I've been able to spend my energy on other things I was too exhausted to do before.  I'm cleaning house and organizing my things, finishing small projects I'd been putting off, taking my dogs for more walks, and I'm getting more writing done than ever before.  So I suppose that's one thing to be grateful for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

All of the art shows I was going to enter have been cancelled. Not that anyone would show up to buy art anyway.

A local friend of ours apparently sells most of her art online, has been for years.  Are you set up to do that?

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm already starting to forget what day it is

Just think of it as practice for retirement.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

A local friend of ours apparently sells most of her art online, has been for years.  Are you set up to do that?

I tried ages ago, but I think it was too early in the days of the internet; at any rate, it wasn't successful. But I should probably look into it again. I should have more time now, eh?

Just think of it as practice for retirement.

Retirement may come sooner than I planned, at this rate. We have been cursed with interesting times..........

Minnesota’s “stay-at-home” order takes effect tonight at 11:59 PM.  *Sigh*...

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Minnesota’s “stay-at-home” order takes effect tonight at 11:59 PM.  *Sigh*...

You may not notice much difference.  If your order is anything like ours, it'll just kind of codify what most people are already doing.  We can still go to work (if we work at an "essential" place).  We can still patronize the grocery and the drug store and the gas station.  We can still go for walks.  We just aren't supposed to do any of that in groups of more than ten people.  As long as the stay-home order expires before my family reunion in August, it'll have scarcely any effect on Alex and me.

The closing of theaters and restaurants is affecting us slightly more, but I think that's a different executive order (and I'm too lazy to look it up).

I hope you guys are holding up well.

Thing has been affecting me a little bit differently. My SO is staying in different countries, so is the rest of my core family, even the one in the same country are separated by flights.

Last week, he was supposed to be here for one and half week but the trip was cancelled last minute because of restrictions on both sides. We cancelled it first for precaution, as the plane he was supposed to take was coming from badly hit Europe, also with other consideration that he might be put on two weeks quarantine on each side, ton of paperworks and it would be problematic with work. Apparently even if he didn't cancel, the flight was also suspended.

I have to be grateful that at least we are okay for now, but I was just feeling really down that time. We have been looking forward to meet and I need his support here. The mellow hours had passed, now we are just keeping each other's spirit high, although I can't help to think when we could actually meet again. Now is even stricter than last week. But again, nothing to complain about as long as we are well.

With these restriction, I am more aware than ever that I actually staying in a place where I have zero real friends. I have distanced and limited myself so much all my connections here are strictly professional. I'm not sure I regret anything, it's just something that I think of, so I actually have no one that can visit me anytime if I got into trouble, since people I care about and vice versa are all thousand of miles away, and with lockdown and all, it feels like we are staying in different planet. But not too worry, I'm in good relation with my dog's original family, they are the only people who know where I live (Geez I have no idea I'm this successful in hermit-ing myself, but again, wouldn't change a thing).

Not sure if social distancing works around here. Just couple of days ago I saw people grouping on the street, not for something important but part of die-hard local life. There are measures taken, hopefully it's taken seriously. Food and necessity supplies are okay here, I haven't seen hoarding the last time I bought grocery, no panic buying eventhough the queue were much longer. Medical supplies like face mask and hand sanitizer hasn't been seen since forever though. There haven't been business restrictions, I think majority of business are still open as usual, but haven't been going around for a week, not sure if things has changed.

Haven't visited my regular beaches, can't help to think how the strays are doing if everyone stop the visit to feed them. And if the surrounding food businesses are closed, how would they find any food? :( 

As you guys, I am more terrified with the social and economy impact. I had experienced the ugliness of humanity when it was pushed to breaking point, I hope it doesn't come to that. It's worrisome to read the news about India couple of days ago when some of the locked-down citizens didn't even know about Covid-19, and many are surviving on daily wage that goes non-existent. For every panic buying, there are those who can't even afford tomorrow's food. Haiz.

Take good care guys, be safe!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Medical supplies like face mask and hand sanitizer hasn't been seen since forever though.

Same here, I think.  Ironically, medical facilities are saying if you come there and you have any symptoms, please wear a face mask, and I'm trying to figure out where all these magical face masks are supposed to come from.  Alex and I figure if we happen to need one, we can rig something up with a handkerchief, though.

• Like 1

A t-shirt balaclava and a rag soaked with detol would make a fine short term mask.

I'm trying not to worry about the social and economic future we can expect. Instead I'm trying to focus on writing and starting a blog. I'm trying to maintain a routine of some sort and avoiding the relentless onslaught of terrible news from around the world. I'm just taking it day by day and looking towards the end of all this. I don't expect things to be the same, but I do know that we can all get through this if we support each other and ignore the idiots.

Stay home, stay safe, be well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Same here, I think.  Ironically, medical facilities are saying if you come there and you have any symptoms, please wear a face mask, and I'm trying to figure out where all these magical face masks are supposed to come from.  Alex and I figure if we happen to need one, we can rig something up with a handkerchief, though.

Those places are funny... Not. Imagine people not daring to go get care because they don't have a mask! 

Where I work, we try to provide those simple face masks for patients with symptoms as best we can. We have a minimum of protective gear for ourselves and are re-using as much as we possibly can without being totally unsanitary. 

If you don't have anything to cover your nose and mouth, just go wherever you absolutely need to go and keep your distance from unprotected people. Cough into your arm and avoid touching things. If possible, call the practice etc in advance, maybe they can arrange something like meet you at your car or refer you to an infection center. 

Stay safe everyone. 

P.S.: sorry I haven't been posting, I work in healthcare and things have been crazy what with flexible working hours, rules and regulations changing daily and having to improvise child care because obviously daycare is closed. Hip hip hurray. Not complaining though, I am honestly greatful that at least I get to keep my job. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sheerluck said:

As a healthcare worker Toby do take extra special care of yourself. Your work is appreciated even if some people don't show it now.

Thanks! 

Actually, they do show it. 

What I hear most often is "aren't you afraid?" 

No, tbh, I am not. Concerned, worried, tense, yes. But not scared. If I catch the virus, it's very very likely that I won't become severely ill. The same for my husband and son and we're keeping everyone else at a distance. 

My greatest fear is passing it on to a friend patient unknowingly. But right now, we still have plenty of disinfectant and masks, gloves etc and medical staff are always eligible for testing so I hope that can be prevented. 

We'll be alright. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question for you DVD buyers:

How do you store your DVD's?  I've been trying to find a new way to organize my mine (which are currently on a couple of bookshelves) because they're taking up too much space.  I considered taking the discs out of their cases and keeping them in disc folders, but then there's still the question of how to store the cases, because I don't want to get rid of them.  What do you guys do?

This used to be a minefield topic, when my dear late husband was still with us.

Obviously now I can please myself.

They are organised entirely A-Z.

9 hours ago, Artemis said:

Question for you DVD buyers:

How do you store your DVD's?  I've been trying to find a new way to organize my mine (which are currently on a couple of bookshelves) because they're taking up too much space.  I considered taking the discs out of their cases and keeping them in disc folders, but then there's still the question of how to store the cases, because I don't want to get rid of them.  What do you guys do?

I feel ya ... I still have most of my VHS cassettes! The DVDs are a snap by comparison ... I do what you do, keep them on bookshelves. Did the same with the tapes, but I had to double up; one row in back, one row in front. Was a pain. Now they're stored in an old 3-drawer chest of drawers, and the DVDs have taken their place on the bookshelves. That's how my friend stores them, too.

If you're trying to reduce the amount of space they're taking up, there's only one sure solution, I'm afraid ... start tossing. Er, recycling.

ETA: Just had a thought ... I'm (slowly!!!!!) upgrading to newer technology ... i.e., replacing my cassettes with DVDs, primarily to save room. Maybe you could do the same ... start transferring your DVDs to digital files? I have no idea how that's done, but might be a thing?

My parents have their DVDs stored all over the place.

They too have some stored behind the books on the shelves.

They have a master book, which records the exact place for each DVD.

It's quite an impressive system.

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

If you're trying to reduce the amount of space they're taking up, there's only one sure solution, I'm afraid ... start tossing. Er, recycling.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, besleybean said:

My parents have their DVDs stored all over the place.

They too have some stored behind the books on the shelves.

They have a master book, which records the exact place for each DVD.

It's quite an impressive system.

LOL, I had a master list too. The problem was, every time I acquired a new cassette, I had to redo that section of the list. Ugh.

• Haha 1

Just now, Artemis said:

giphy.gif

:D Believe me, I understand. But did you see my added comment?

1 minute ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I sort my DVD on their respective genres, and then by name. Which is quite a shore, I assure you

Same here. But sometimes I'm not sure which genre they go in. Are Marvel movies fantasy or sci fi? :D 

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

ETA: Just had a thought ... I'm (slowly!!!!!) upgrading to newer technology ... i.e., replacing my cassettes with DVDs, primarily to save room. Maybe you could do the same ... start transferring your DVDs to digital files? I have no idea how that's done, but might be a thing?

It's possible, but difficult; sometimes costly; and the quality of the video is greatly reduced.  So not worth it, to me.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sheerluck said:

I got rid of most of my cases and keep them in a file folder. I only kept the cases for my favourite films. I've pretty much switched to digital platform now so I haven't bought a new disc in a couple of years.

That might be what I end up doing after all... but it's hard for me to let go of the cases, lol.  I wish there were a way to keep them and also free up space.  A magical, mystical way...