Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:
On 4/4/2020 at 4:34 PM, J.P. said:

Indeed there are so many things unknown about Covid19, which is why we are in the mess right now, including the missing link of how it's transmitted to human I suppose.

I just read a really interesting article about that. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/coronavirus-human-actions-intl/index.html   Basically, it's down to the way humans mistreat this planet.....

19 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

it was proven to be effectively inactivated, the virus gnomes was destroyed and the ability to mutate is prevented.

Is that a new technical term or a typo -- maybe for genome?  (My imagination is working overtime, even though it's probably considered a non-essential service.)

13 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I just read a really interesting article about that. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/coronavirus-human-actions-intl/index.html   Basically, it's down to the way humans mistreat this planet.....

Or more specifically how we humans treat individuals from other species.  Their first point is that the wild animals held captive in the markets of China are of course likely to be harboring an assortment of exotic viruses, but more importantly, because the animals are terrified there is also "a chance those viruses are being shed in large numbers" due to the animals' high stress levels.  (And by the way, the lab bat shown in the photos doesn't seem to be all that happy either.)

While deforestation is certainly open to criticism for many reasons, I found this article's attempted segue into that issue somewhat weak.

I think the argument is not just deforestation specifically, but the destruction and usurpation of habitat by humans also stresses animals, as well as making contact between us and them more likely. 

I didn't know that exotic animals was such a big trade. Sometimes I despair of humanity.

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is that a new technical term or a typo -- maybe for genome? 

Hey, what did I say about unknown factors? Even on previously conducted virus and experiment, there are always unknown factors.

So obviously, it's gnome! :D

Funny-Decoration-resin-custom-mini-gnome

P.S. Anyone knows how to edit a typo in a post without the knowledge of moderator? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The other day I was driving and my brain goes wild, how if this Covid19 is the common enemy that would unite human and making us better in how we treat and conserve things?

But then I saw people clawing each other for toilet paper and nevermind I said that guys. Shame on you, brain.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Anyone knows how to edit a typo in a post without the knowledge of moderator? Asking for a friend

Tell your friend that moderators have no special way of telling whether a post has been edited or not.  However -- if the post has already been quoted by someone else, you'd also have to get that other person to edit the quote before the mods see it.  Unless that other person is a moderator, of course.  :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

then I saw people clawing each other for toilet paper

Toilet paper?  You have toilet paper in your stores?   :cowdance:  Where???

(Actually, I've heard of a couple sightings around here.  My brother was able to buy a cheap brand that sort of fell apart in use, and Alex saw maybe half a dozen two-roll packages a week ago.  But there was absolutely none in the large supermarket we went to today.  They did have applesauce, though.)

38 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Tell your friend that moderators have no special way of telling whether a post has been edited or not.

I was actually wondering about this too.  I edit my posts all the time, lol.

33 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

(Actually, I've heard of a couple sightings around here.  My brother was able to buy a cheap brand that sort of fell apart in use, and Alex saw maybe half a dozen two-roll packages a week ago.  But there was absolutely none in the large supermarket we went to today.  They did have applesauce, though.)

No toilet paper in any of the stores around here.

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Tell your friend that moderators have no special way of telling whether a post has been edited or not.  However -- if the post has already been quoted by someone else, you'd also have to get that other person to edit the quote before the mods see it.  Unless that other person is a moderator, of course.  :P

Oh dear, any chance some of you consider some demotion to be regular member? :P 

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But then I saw people clawing each other for toilet paper

Calm down, this is the article I saw in internet that consist of video of women fighting for toilet paper, in Australia, a while ago. :D

But indeed, I still see some in the store the last time I went out. The panic buying is not as bad here, most of the things are still in stock, but prices do go up.

But if you really want to know, there are opportunities for you to get toilet paper.

coronavirus-quarantine-covid-19-jokes-54

Even if you are not a police officer.

corona-jokes-3-5e83253555fa9-700.jpg

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

None here either, was just out this morning as well. But my neighbors told me that 2 hours southwest, where their kids live, there's plenty. Caravan, anyone? :D 

There's also NO margarine. Butter, yes. Margarine, no.  Huh?

Even worse, there's no pizza! Arrgh!

But enough raspberries to feed the entire county.

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Odd.  Fortunately we use butter, plus we still have over a pound in the fridge.  I'll try to remember to look (just out of curiosity) next time we're at the store.

You mean frozen?  There seems to be a reasonable assortment available here.  They never have the kind Alex wants, but Kroger hasn't had that one in stock for months (he keeps checking).

The pizza place in a small town near here has closed, though.  As in gone out of business.  They were a fairly new venture, so this epidemic came at a particularly bad time for them.  Or perhaps they hadn't been doing well anyhow, and this was just the last straw, I really have no idea.

But enough raspberries to feed the entire county.

No shortage of pizza here, last time I looked, but hardly any berries!  I don't use margarine, so no idea about that.

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You mean frozen?  There seems to be a reasonable assortment available here.  They never have the kind Alex wants, but Kroger hasn't had that one in stock for months (he keeps checking).

The pizza place in a small town near here has closed, though.  As in gone out of business.  They were a fairly new venture, so this epidemic came at a particularly bad time for them.  Or perhaps they hadn't been doing well anyhow, and this was just the last straw, I really have no idea.

That's interesting ... here, pizza places are some of the few places hiring .... for deliverers. And yeah, it was the frozen pizza case that was empty. Sigh. 

I just saw a kind of precipitation I don't recall ever seeing before.  It was a brief snow-sunshower, but instead of flakes, the snow came down in tiny little snowballs.  They weren't ice pellets, like sleet or hail.  It's snow.  Does anyone know if there's a name for this kind of snowfall?

ef9d43c533b4fbb57f770e8afd0dd20b8fd8b2b5

65ba4eb8388fd570f61d2e0446b402a1573deea0

'Tis not though, I don't think (or if it is, it's not any kind that I've ever seen).  It's too soft and snowy.  Hail is icy, and usually larger.

I think I've just found it.  Apparently it is called "Graupel".

Graupel, also called 'soft hail' or 'snow pellets', is precipitation that forms when supercooled water droplets are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm (0.08–0.20 in) balls of rime. The term graupel is the German language word for sleet. Graupel is distinct from hail and ice pellets. Hail is common in thunderstorms, while graupel typically falls in winter storms. [...]
Graupel was formerly referred to by meteorologists as soft hail. However, graupel is easily distinguishable from hail in both the shape and strength of the pellet and the circumstances in which it falls. Ice from hail is formed in hard, relatively uniform layers and usually falls only during thunderstorms. Graupel forms fragile, oblong shapes and falls in place of typical snowflakes in wintry mix situations, often in concert with ice pellets. Graupel is also fragile enough that it will typically fall apart when touched.

sleet-vs-graupel-nws.58.3120AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 5:21 AM, Arcadia said:

here, pizza places are some of the few places hiring .... for deliverers.

That's probably true here in general as well.  The defunct pizza place I mentioned wasn't part of a chain, though, so maybe they didn't do deliveries.  Most of the other restaurants in that town are still open for take-out, but they've been in business a lot longer.

That's probably true here in general as well.  The defunct pizza place I mentioned wasn't part of a chain, though, so maybe they didn't do deliveries.  Most of the other restaurants in that town are still open for take-out, but they've been in business a lot longer.

A pizza place that doesn't deliver had better serve outstanding pizza. Picking up a pizza that isn't worth the effort is maddening.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

A pizza place that doesn't deliver had better serve outstanding pizza. Picking up a pizza that isn't worth the effort is maddening.

Yes, I would imagine!  We haven't been in there since it was a different business, but it's a good-sized building, so we both had the impression it was mostly an eat-in place, presumably with a take-out option -- more of a pizza restaurant.

8 hours ago, Artemis said:

I think I've just found it.  Apparently it is called "Graupel".

sleet-vs-graupel-nws.58.3120AM.png

I've seen that a couple of times, had no idea it had a name. I think I just assumed it had something to do with the ground it was lying on! Cool.