Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Well,

I think you've explained sufficiently, but maybe be careful of what you say because a lot of people will see your point of view as extremely controversial. Just a little tip to make sure nobody sees your opinion the wrong way....

23 minutes ago, linear_panda said:

I want to believe that freedom is worthwhile that's why I said all that stuff. i don't mind if people disagree with all this but saying only no to racism is just not good enough anymore. There's more to it than that and as a person who doesn't want to give up on freedom i have to show you guys where I'm coming from.

Seriously tho I am pretty sorry to everyone who got so shocked by my earlier post...hope I've kinda explained it all better here

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, linear_panda said:

I think maybe racism is essential for small ethnicities and dying cultures. But when it's taken to such an extreme, now that's just disgusting...

I'd never thought of it that way, Panda (may I call you that?), but I agree, a certain amount of shall we call it ethnocentrism is healthy for any ethnicity.  These days that seems to be applauded when exhibited by members of minorities, but looked down on when engaged in by the majority.  I'm a pretty generic American (mostly European ancestry with a slight admixture of something-or-other else, such that I'm not likely to be taken for a European, even when I keep my mouth shut), but I contend that I have every bit as much right to enjoy my native culture as anyone else does -- as long as I respect their right to enjoy theirs.  As you say, though, there needs to be moderation, and hopefully mutual respect.

17 hours ago, linear_panda said:

... there's racism and then there's misunderstanding and people can interpret one as the other depending on where they're coming from.

I've been thinking about that sort of misunderstanding myself the past few days.  I read an account by a black man who had been bird-watching in Central Park (New York City).  A white woman was nearby with her dog, and apparently the man was concerned that it might attack the birds or chase them away, so he asked her to put it on its leash.  He says she then accused him of being violent.  Sadly enough, it's entirely possible that his impression of her attitude was accurate.  However, it's also conceivable that the woman's thoughts might actually have gone something like this:  "Hmm, there's a man just kind of hanging around.  That's suspicious.  OK, he has binoculars, so maybe he's watching birds.  On the other hand, some of my friends have recently been attacked right here in this park by guys pretending to be doing something innocent.  I'd better let Brunhilde off her leash -- then if the guy tries to attack me, she can defend me.  Oh dear, the man doesn't like me doing that.  He's definitely up to no good!!!"  (Apparently there's a video of at least part of their encounter, which may clarify this specific event, but my point is that it's easy for these general sorts of misunderstandings to occur.)

Regarding that family thinking maybe you didn't understand English -- well, when they spoke to you, you failed to reply, so they weren't going by just your Eurasian face.  I assume you're right, it was a misunderstanding.  (By the way, is your ancestry the reason for the "panda" in your name?)  We know a woman who was born and raised in Hong Kong, and learned English in school there, then moved to the US as an adult (but didn't change her citizenship).  One day she told us how upset she was that some woman had (politely) asked her what her nationality was.  (She had huffily replied "American!")  If our friend hadn't been quite so indignant, I would have pointed out that the woman was probably going more by her British accent than by her Chinese face.  She definitely doesn't sound like she's from around here!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

maybe be careful of what you say because a lot of people will see your point of view as extremely controversial.

That's always good advice!

• Thanks 1

Wading in late to this conversation (but what else is new lately? :) ) but I think your most pertinent point is "there's more to it than that." I do think there's too much over-simplification of almost everything these days, and it makes it too easy for people to take sides. There's "more" to almost everything, but for some reason (some) people don't want to deal with that, they want everything to be simple, and (if everyone will pardon the phrase) black and white.

I think I see your point about small ethnicities and dying cultures, but I also see that existence is change, and not everything is meant to survive. Hard for the ones who are dying out, I know. No easy answers for them. But if their efforts to preserve their culture result in actual racism (and I don't know that they do) ... that's a tough one. I have to admit, even under those circumstances, I would find actual racism pretty hard to justify.

On a related topic, just a day or two ago I read that the Webster dictionary is going to change their definition of racism. Wonder what they have in mind?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 1:11 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

That is utterly asinine!  As long as the 40-year-old windows still work, they're WAY better than any replacement windows would be.  For one thing, they're actually part of the house structure.  The only way to remove them is to saw through the connecting lumber.  The replacements would merely be slid into the resulting hole and nailed in place, so the result wouldn't be nearly as sturdy.  Also, it sounds like you've got a nice house there, so I'm assuming the windows were pretty much state of the art 40 years ago.  As far as I know, about the only thing that's improved since then is the availability of glass that filters out certain wavelengths -- and the lack of those is NOT a defect!

Frankly, I wish we'd chosen simpler windows when our house was built 15 years ago.  These can supposedly be unlatched to tilt in so you can clean them from inside the house, but (even though they're a good brand) the only two windows we've tried that with can no longer be used normally.  In one of them, the upper sash won't stay up, and in the other one, the lower sash won't stay up, so we just leave them closed (and locked, so that the one upper sash won't come thudding down).

Are you actually able to remove the bulbs by pulling?  Unless you have unusually fluffy soil, they usually need to be dug up.  If all you're doing is pulling the tops off, they'll just resprout, so it'd be a whole lot quicker to mow.  In fact, unless the onions are listed on the inspection report, there's really no point in worrying about them.  Then you could get your temporary quarters ready a lot sooner.

If you're signed up with a large construction company, they can work almost like an assembly line.  One crew comes in and excavates, the next day another crew comes in and pours the foundation, and so on.  They don't need to wait for subcontractors to show up, the way a smaller construction company would, and a lot of the time several crews can be doing different things at the same time.  Have you spoken with any of their prior clients?

Actually, we have replacement windows in basement (half-basement, really) because the originals let more cold seep in in the winter than we liked. The new ones are better because the double panes are more tightly sealed, (therefore letting in less cold) and they're easier to clean, too. At least in this house, they didn't have to saw out the old ones ... they had to pull out the surrounding molding, but it wasn't that bad. Still, we're looking at a minimum of like $600 a window for 13 windows, simply because the new ones would be better. The current ones are still to code, which is good enough ... the buyer should pay for upgrades, not the seller. At any rate, that's the conclusion everyone came to, because that request was dropped. :smile:

After a rain, the onions can usually be pulled out (which is kind of fun! You can feel that little !pop! when they leave the hole. :D ). But I didn't mean I was literally pulling them out, most of them had to be dug. Yesterday I got three out by pulling, and the other two just broke off, so I had to go back for the spade. Ugh.

Anyway, lately I've just been doing it because the weather's been too beautiful to stay inside all day, and I'm proud of my yard, so ... onions, here I come. I'm learning to love the smell.

Have no idea what size my construction company is, that would have been a good question! Too late, I'm already committed to them. It's okay, it will be what it will be. The most important thing to me was being able to afford it, literally everything else was of minor concern by comparison.

Weird ... it just got dark enough, apparently ... my screen is slowly turning yellow.... for a minute there I thought my eyes were going bad!

• Haha 1

Oh, by the way ... welcome to the forum, Panda! :welcome: 

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 9:03 PM, Arcadia said:

After a rain, the onions can usually be pulled out (which is kind of fun! You can feel that little !pop! when they leave the hole. :D ). But I didn't mean I was literally pulling them out, most of them had to be dug. Yesterday I got three out by pulling, and the other two just broke off, so I had to go back for the spade. Ugh.

Unless there's a dense cluster of them, it might be easier with a trowel.  I use a fishtail weeder for lots of deep-rooted things (such as dandelions), but not sure if that'd work for wild onions.  The main places that I bother weeding are garden beds, where the soil is looser, which makes things a lot easier.

Well, except for one corner of the lawn where we innocently let a Scotch thistle stay a few years ago (because the flowers are so pretty, and goldfinches like the seeds).  Now there are are thistle plants all over that area.  We've started mowing them, so they can't set more seed, but good grief, there are dozens!  I finally bought a pair of special thorn-resistant rose-pruning gloves to wear while digging them out, but I haven't yet gotten up the courage to try again.  After this they'll have to be content with living and blooming in our meadow.

• Like 1

I was watching some Ben Whishaw movies an they kinda got me wondering why Gatiss and Moffat didn't cast him for the role.
Hes got so much exp playing 'different' characters...Sherlock would have been a cinch for him. 
Not that Cumberbatch wasn't totally perfect but I feel Whishaw's exp would have lent more sobriety to the whole thing...and besides, he has the hair for it

Don't feel any need to apologise, fellow Ben Whishaw fan here!

I was fortunate enough to see him in live theatre a couple of years ago.

He and Mark are friends I believe and from earlier than that, he and Andrew Scott are friends.

I dunno, maybe it just wasn't the right time for him?

Possibly he also doesn't have the killer instinct, not sure!

I certainly would have loved them to find him a role in Sherlock...

But that possibly isn't going to happen, now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, besleybean said:

I certainly would have loved them to find him a role in Sherlock...

But that possibly isn't going to happen, now.

Do y think if we petition hard enough they'll make more Sherlock?

4 seasons just weren't enough for me and I've been hungry ever since

@linear_panda

Regarding racism, I'm glad you explained that, I do get where you are coming from.

And I also think it's very very difficult to find anyone without a level of racism. Can any of you say you are one? I certainly not, although I think, imho, mine is very harmless and in unusual circumstances.

For example, and also to explain why I get panda's post. My family experienced the bad end of racism, we just happened to be there, not at the wrong time or wrong place because we actually part of the society, but probably similar in America, it exploded and certain group are being targetted because of social problem, stereotype happens and people are being blinded.

Well, from my personal experience, individual racism alone probably wouldn't go very far, unless it's extreme, in this case is stupidity or on someone with power (normally with agenda but worse if combined with stupidity) but collectively and behind almost every major incident, I'm pretty sure it's there, provocateurs with agenda, making use of those anger, enable and facilitate them, most time by spreading fear, envy, propaganda, and escalate protest into riots, manslaughter, violence, while the puppet masters are watching in the safe of their home and reaping what they sow. If we are provoked, or one of them, we are being conned. They are making use of genuine anger and injustice, that's why it's very powerful and take a lot to step back and actually look.

I wouldn't blame myself that I'm taking extra precaution after being targetted and thinking twice, questioning good intention of people, because I need to tell if they are being genuine or if they look at me differently, and by doing that, I fit into racist category. Eventhough I see people the way they are without color, can't help to interpret and be cautious  about how they actually see me without really knowing them.

And it's inevitable that some people feel more connected to those similar to them, it's natural. Can anyone say they are not? Even the same taste in food is relatable, but It should only apply to small things and no way make people judge each other about something fundamental. I tend to, sorry maybe not sorry, avoid people with very strong religion orientation who clearly think their way is the only way, any religion, doesn't matter which. That is rasicm in term of religion yes? 

Stereotypes as well. Can any of you say that you are free of stereotype? I certainly can't. I used to commute a lot in jam packed public transport, and dread the time I was pitted against certain people because, in my experience, I found that I have strong reaction with smell associsted with them, because of their food and culture habit. I have very sensitive nose. Not all, majority, but sadly I stereotype. Is it wrong? Probably, but as said, no one is free. It's the level and how you act on it.

Not sure if it makes sense.

P.S. To add to that, there are a lot of racism i  professional work as well. For example, dealing with foreign clients or consultants who wants local business yet refuse to adapt or understand the way local works and insist on implementing what they know best in their origin. Is it racism? I'm not sure, but there are certainly more than one occasion that we have to deal with them based on 'what they are' and expect their kind of behavior, build strategy around it and judge them from their origin. 

• Like 1

@Arcadia

When I looked for a house (never has selling experience though) it's always what you see is what you get. Some houses had falling ceiling and it's up to us if we want to take it. The owner would put up the price they think it fits with the condition, and buyer will decide if they accept (if they are going to renovate anyway it's normally worth taking because of lower price), in any case we wouldn't require owner to fix anything unless they offer to do so, for example, there is problem with plumbing but they promises they would fix it (no one wants to buy house with plumbing problem anyway) but maybe we have different system.

Anyway, on lighter topic... say.. kitchen stuff!

Whether I cook or not, I was excited to get this little gift that proves to be very useful.

41-CIq4-TGb-FL-AC.jpg

It's mostly for rice or something that requires quick stirring or scooping but I use it for soup too as well since it could stand a bit of heat. It's great because I don't need to find somewhere to put it in case the counter is not clean, the squirrel's legs ensure that the part touching the food is elevated.

So..

since I like soup, I want to have similar thing that is actually used for soup, so I bought this online

images-2.jpg

And I'm soooo pissed at my own stupidity, because you know what?? It doesn't work!!

I'm not sure if you can see it from the picture or you are ehm... not smarter than me,

it doesn't work because duh.. unlike the squirrel, the nessie or dinosaur legs that keep it upright goes inside the food/soup as well. Duh.. that defeats my intention to keep it hygienic. Who need a standing ladle anyway.

A little tidbit to share for your new home, go for squirrel instead of Nessie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

individual racism alone probably wouldn't go very far, unless it's extreme, in this case is stupidity or on someone with power

I think you're right about that.  Basically, there have always been jerks, regardless of whether they're racists or sexists or homophobes or just plain old-fashioned self-centered egotists.  But the majority of people are pretty decent, so the jerkiness gets watered down.  It still hurts, of course, but not as often.

... behind almost every major incident, I'm pretty sure it's there, provocateurs with agenda, making use of those anger, enable and facilitate them, most time by spreading fear, envy, propaganda, and escalate protest into riots, manslaughter, violence, while the puppet masters are watching in the safe of their home[....]. They are making use of genuine anger and injustice, that's why it's very powerful....

That had never really occurred to me, not as a general rule, but you may well have a point there.  Sometimes it's the Establishment, making sure they don't lose their position of power.  Sometimes it's the dissident extremists, stirring up the groups who are being wronged.  But in either case, it serves the purposes of the puppet masters far more than it helps the rioters, lynch-mobs, et al.

I'm taking extra precaution after being targetted and thinking twice, questioning good intention of people, because I need to tell if they are being genuine or if they look at me differently, and by doing that, I fit into racist category.

I wouldn't call that racism, exactly, more like statistical analysis -- but I see what you mean.

I tend to, sorry maybe not sorry, avoid people with very strong religion orientation who clearly think their way is the only way, any religion, doesn't matter which. That is rasicm in term of religion yes? 

I'd say that depends.  If you're avoiding specific individuals who have harassed you over religion in the past, then no.  But if you avoid total strangers merely because you can tell they belong to a certain religion, then I suppose you could call it something akin to racism.

I used to commute a lot in jam packed public transport, and dread the time I was pitted against certain people because, in my experience, I found that I have strong reaction with smell associsted with them, because of their food and culture habit. I have very sensitive nose. Not all, majority, but sadly I stereotype.

Again, I'd call that statistical analysis.  It's not like you're calling these people names or refusing them services, etc., you'd just rather stand next to somebody whose smell you prefer.  If it helps any, they may feel the same way about you.

dealing with foreign clients or consultants who wants local business yet refuse to adapt or understand the way local works and insist on implementing what they know best in their origin. Is it racism? I'm not sure

More like unfamiliarity with other ways of doing things, I'd guess.  People have always done things a certain way and know it works just fine for them, and then a group of foreigners wants to handle things in a way they've never heard of.  Of course, if the person is *also* racist, then it could be a combination of factors.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:44 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

it doesn't work because duh.. unlike the squirrel, the nessie or dinosaur legs that keep it upright goes inside the food/soup as well. Duh.. that defeats my intention to keep it hygienic.

That is bizarre.  Do you happen to recall if the seller claimed any particular advantage over a regular ladle?  The first ones do indeed look better, but my main consideration would be to avoid getting soup on the counter -- do your squirrels drip?

4 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

— do your squirrels drip?

Without context, that’s the weirdest question I’ve read in awhile, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

P.S. To add to that, there are a lot of racism i  professional work as well. For example, dealing with foreign clients or consultants who wants local business yet refuse to adapt or understand the way local works and insist on implementing what they know best in their origin. Is it racism? I'm not sure, but there are certainly more than one occasion that we have to deal with them based on 'what they are' and expect their kind of behavior, build strategy around it and judge them from their origin. 

Read something like that a while back
Some big American business men were selling software or something to three Japanese guys. they were in a really swish place and the Americans were presenting on the benefits of their software. the japanese guys had to sit through 2 hrs of hi-def images, surround sound and passionate presentation before the lights came back on.

When the americans asked the japanese men what they thought the first japanese guy stood up politely and said he didnt understand. the second specified that they hadnt got anything ever since the lights went off. and the third basically asked the Americans to go through the whole show all over again. of course they coudnt do it anything like the first time. the price totally flopped and the japanese walked away from that one happy.

I guess maybe its bad taking advantage of stereotypes (asians arent as advanced as europeans) im not really sure 🙄

I'm not so sure the Americans were basing their presentation on a stereotype of Asians.

Sounds to me like the Americans were doing their usual flashy presentation (that sort of thing is very popular nowadays), which the Japanese (being accustomed to a far more dignified style) considered over the top (at best), but were too polite to say so.

In other words, an inter-cultural misunderstanding, rather than a racist attempt to overexplain.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm not so sure the Americans were basing their presentation on a stereotype of Asians.

Sounds to me like the Americans were doing their usual flashy presentation (that sort of thing is very popular nowadays), which the Japanese (being accustomed to a far more dignified style) considered over the top (at best), but were too polite to say so.

In other words, an inter-cultural misunderstanding, rather than a racist attempt to overexplain.

I think yr right it probably was.

Just wondering though whether it's okay to do that kinda thing on purpose; like I'm pretty short, so I look like a kid, and I never get any physical searches at airports even though I'm an adult because of that. And that's why I bring exotic fruit seeds from my home country into Australia...and I do know it's completely illegal but the fact that no one bothers and i CAN do it stops me from stopping it.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:14 AM, linear_panda said:

Do y think if we petition hard enough they'll make more Sherlock?

Definitely not. If I was any of the makers I wouldn't want touch the matter any more in my entire life. There is practically no topic online posted by anyone even slightly involved in the show, without someone whining about S5. If you consider the fact that a big group of fans want S5 solely to finally get their ship done, I see it like a lost case right now. Why would they want to go trough that shitstorm valley again?
I'm afraid the TJLC part of fandom and their petitioning killed the show in first place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, J.P. said:

I'm afraid the TJLC part of fandom and their petitioning killed the show in first place.

I'm sure that pressure did not encourage Moftiss to jump right back in, and it may well be a factor in the current long hiatus.  But judging by S3 and S4, they were getting bored anyhow, and so felt the need to make the show "different."

From the very beginning, though, they've said they'd like to keep doing occasional episodes till BC & MF are more the age of previous Holmes and Watson actors, and they're still well shy of that age range, so I'm not about to give up till they're well past it.  Once the Moftisses have refreshed their creativity by doing a few other things, I suspect they'll start coming up with more Sherlock ideas.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, linear_panda said:

I'm pretty short, so I look like a kid, and I never get any physical searches at airports even though I'm an adult because of that.

When you say "physical," do you mean you do have to go through that weird x-ray, but you don't get patted down?  Not that I condone agricultural smuggling, but here's a tip: don't wear anything long and loose, or they might make an exception.  On one trip I wore a mid-calf-length flared skirt, figuring it'd be comfortable on the plane.  I got patted down (not by hand, but using an electronic wand) on the way over, but assumed it was just a random spot check.  But it happened again on the way back, so I asked the gal why, and she said it was because I could be hiding something under my skirt.  Since then I've worn jeans.

• Like 1

I have an oral presentation coming up.
Does anyone know how to get out of it in a sophisticated, non-obvious way?

6 hours ago, linear_panda said:

I have an oral presentation coming up.
Does anyone know how to get out of it in a sophisticated, non-obvious way?

You could arrange to get laryngitis.  :D

• Thanks 1