Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

4 minutes ago, besleybean said:

I didn't really think it was something that The Powers That Be could officially cancel!

I think they can, officially.  They can impose a curfew and/or a fine, as they have been around here with the riots going on.  They just have to make a public announcement on the city's website and send one out to everyone's smartphone that "Such-and-such is cancelled this year," and it's cancelled.  Independence Day gatherings and displays where cancelled where I live.

Of course you'll always see some people defying the edicts, but most people won't.

We have already had New Year(Hogmanay)parties cancelled.

As yet there has been no official announcement banning 'first footing' and I don't expect there will be.

I maintain that over here, what they may do is ban households mixing...

but nobody is going to(for example) ban Christmas!

Cromwell tried it and I for one wish he had succeeded!

Yes, historically most attempts to ban Christmas have failed miserably, lol.

You're not a fan of Christmas then, I take it?

Well I like New Year...though I would prefer it to be linked to the Spring Equinox.

I like May Day. 

That's about it, I think!

6 minutes ago, besleybean said:

though I would prefer it to be linked to the Spring Equinox.

Ditto!

I also like May Day.  Underrated, I think.

May Day is our official 'Labour Day' here...

so it's more about that than virgins dancing around a May Pole, but you know...each to their own.

Ha!

Ah, I see.  I like days that celebrate the changing of the seasons, so that's what I like about May Day.  Labor Day is just another day to me.  Only people with better jobs get the day off, lol.  No one cares about the labor of menial workers like myself.  :P

On a shelf near my desk, there's a plastic bag with the Woolworth logo (containing some small Christmas ornaments that I must have gotten from my mother).  There used to be Woolworth stores all over the US -- they were successful "five and dime" stores, the (pre-inflation) forerunners of the dollar stores.  I couldn't recall when I last saw one (they're all gone now), so I looked them up on Wikipedia, and found that there are still a few vestiges left:  A chain of stores in Europe still owns the rights to use the name and logo, as does a chain in Mexico.  As for the parent company, one specialized part of it survives under another name:  Foot Locker!  (link)

On 9/11/2020 at 4:51 AM, Artemis said:

Right.  When I said that programming doesn't translate to being tech savvy, I was just reiterating you, not contradicting, lol.  Sorry if I was unclear.  Since we're discussing though, I'm not sure your analogy here applies to many of the things I end up teaching him.  For instance, when I was talking about "basic operations" of the system, I meant something as simple as copy/paste.  My dad knew about CTRL+C/CTRL+V, but he didn't know you could copy/paste by right-clicking.  If he were a light computer user, I would understand.  But I'd expect anyone who works on a computer all day for decades to have discovered, somewhere along the way, that there is more than one way to copy/paste, just by using the computer and clicking on things.  No one taught me about right-clicking, I just right-clicked on something one day and saw the word "copy".  I think it's reasonable to be surprised when a daily computer user doesn't know about something like copy/paste, isn't it?  Or am I way off?  :bemused:

If I ever knew CTRL+C/CTRL+V, I have completely forgotten it. And I've never heard of these methods of highlighting text either, I always mouse over the bit I need ... and agree it's a lot harder to do with a touchpad. Especially the touchpad on this machine, which has a mind of its own.

Back in the days of desk tops, I loved my HPs. But this HP laptop ... urk.

I did decrease the sensitivity of the touchpad and it's helped a little bit. But it still misinterprets many of my gestures, and I still can't find a way to turn off those functions or to turn off the touchscreen. I found several instructions on how to do such things, but none seem to apply to this particular laptop.

I did see some good prices for Lenovo's, maybe I'll consider one of them if I can't find a Dell I can afford.

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

If I ever knew CTRL+C/CTRL+V, I have completely forgotten it.

I learned the CTRL method long after right-clicking.  I think right-clicking you can figure out on your own by process of discovery, but you have to be taught the CTRL method.  I still use right-click most of the time.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I've never heard of these methods of highlighting text either, I always mouse over the bit I need

Does it turn a different color when you do that?  If so, that's what I meant by highlighting (or whoever said it).  I believe it's a fairly standard term, because it sort of looks like you'd gone over it with a highlighting marker.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I learned the CTRL method long after right-clicking.  I think right-clicking you can figure out on your own by process of discovery, but you have to be taught the CRTL method.  I still use right-click most of the time.

Aha!  That probably explains why I find the CTRL codes so much more natural -- they go waaaaaay back.  Computer keyboards have had CTRL keys since at least the early 70's, whereas the mouse didn't come along till -- later!  Artemis, how long has your father been working with computers?

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Artemis, how long has your father been working with computers?

He started in the late ‘80’s.  Definitely after mouses (mice?) came along, but computers were still fairly barebones back then.

Maybe he's simply one of those people who find one way of doing something, assume it's the only way available, and don't look any further.  Come to think of it, I might be one of those.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:42 PM, Artemis said:

I learned the CTRL method long after right-clicking.  I think right-clicking you can figure out on your own by process of discovery, but you have to be taught the CTRL method.  I still use right-click most of the time.

I must have known it at one time, because mouses/mice didn't yet exist when I first started using computers. But it rings no bells. I'm genuinely starting to worry about my memory.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:17 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Does it turn a different color when you do that?  If so, that's what I meant by highlighting (or whoever said it).  I believe it's a fairly standard term, because it sort of looks like you'd gone over it with a highlighting marker.

Yeah, but what I'm not familiar with is something about using the arrow keys to highlight a block of text. (??) Too lazy to look back at what was actually said. But I just keep moving the mouse until everything I want is highlighted.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Yeah, but what I'm not familiar with is something about using the arrow keys to highlight a block of text. (??) Too lazy to look back at what was actually said. But I just keep moving the mouse until everything I want is highlighted.

Ah!  Well, this happens to be another case where there are two methods, which I suppose we could call the keyboard method (presumably the original) and the mouse method.  They do roughly the same thing, namely select and highlight a section of text, but there are some differences.  On this forum, for example, if you select a block of text in a post by using the mouse method, you'll get a teeny little pop-up "quote" button that you can click on if that's what you want to do -- but last time I checked, that part doesn't work at all if you used the arrow keys.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:53 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just in case some of you aren't already familiar with it, there's a website called Find A Grave where you can look up deceased people to see where they're buried....

Errrrrr...HOLD, hold on, who else is actually familiar with this??? :blanket::blanket::blanket:

Putting my shock aside, interesting stories Carol, although I barely know my living relatives, very confident that I could meet them on the street without recognizing them, let alone knowing how many offsprings they have.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:56 PM, Artemis said:

I have a 1 TB external hard drive for file storage, and I can't currently imagine ever using up all that space. ..

You guys are driving me nuts, I'm struggling with digital space problem, I have many 2T hard disks that are filled to the brim, I have probably four of them in my drawer now, and many at home. My phone is consider outstanding (at least when I first bought it at 64 + 128G of space, and it ran out). Now I am struggling daily to choose which one to delete. What am I doing you ask? The Hard disks are mainly for work, movie and pictures. Phone, totally pictures. Of what? DOGS! My dogs stray dogs, my dogs, dogs that I know, my dog, shelter that I visit, my dog, dogs, dogs, dogs!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

The Hard disks are mainly for work, movie and pictures.

If you’re storing movies then I’m not surprised!

5 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

My phone is consider outstanding (at least when I first bought it at 64 + 128G of space, and it ran out). Now I am struggling daily to choose which one to delete.

I know the struggle.  My 16GB phone is screaming “PHONE STORAGE ALMOST FULL” at me all day long.  With the operating system alone taking up about 12 of those GB’s, I’ve had to delete almost everything at this point just to keep using it.

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

If you’re storing movies then I’m not surprised!

That is probably 1 or 2 hard disks.

Photo is the killer, and videos. I used to take those raw format images for my UW picture, and it takes up a lot of space.

Even now, when I mainly only using phone for picture, each pic has giant size (on lowest setting) and when I do video editting, the simplest kind from free apps, each video less than a minute easily reaches 300M.

And yes, I was the user of the floopy 1.44M disk.

2 hours ago, Artemis said:
3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I know the struggle.  My 16GB phone is screaming “PHONE STORAGE ALMOST FULL” at me all day long.  With the operating system alone taking up about 12 of those GB’s, I’ve had to delete almost everything at this point just to keep using it.

This too. 

I don't change my phone unless it breaks or obsolete. Sadly, obsolete doesn't mean style or whatever, I don't care about that, but mainly space and compability. Some phones are loaded with preinstall apps that can't be uninstalled. I had a phone that is literally full with those craps and eventually I couldn't do anything functional anymore, apps that I DO need because no space. I even wrote to the manufacturer to complain, asking for a way to throw away those apps. To my surprise, they wrote back (human, not those automatic reply) to apologize and said there is nothing they could do. It was the first android phone so I kind of believe they didn't foresee the development that fast.

Ooh, came here expecting report of the sad news regarding The original Speedy's cafe.

The owners who worked with the BBC Sherlock team are not renewing their lease.

The premises are up for let.

Another sad moment in the Sherlock fandom.

• Sad 2

Well, who knows the new owner is a bigger Sherlock fan and really convert the interior just like the show.

Except eyes in the mug, foot and thumbs in the fridge, exploding drone, bullet holes on the wall, half bitten apple, stabbed Cluedo board, I think it's a decent place.:-):-)