Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 11:53 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

All I know about Tapatalk is that over the years a number of people have reported problems with it, mostly that it doesn't give them access to certain features.  This is the first time I've heard of it completely failing, though.  Hopefully someone else here is still using it and can help.

I've never used Tapatalk, so I don't really understood why people use it, unless it's for phones like Blackberries that don't have browsers.  You say you had to log in today -- if you mean via your phone's browser, then you could at least theoretically use that all the time.  Do you see advantages to using Tapatalk (when it works)?

Not really, but it's like using a mainstream social media app like Facebook or Tumblr on your browser, it's weird.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:42 AM, Artemis said:

I’m afraid I can’t help, I don’t use tapatalk.  Hope your issue gets resolved soon!

It didn't, I had to delete the app on my phone.

Belated Happy New Year, everyone. It's sure gotten off to a rocky start.

There IS good news, though ... several of my acquaintances have already gotten the vaccine, or are about to. Hopefully we are finally turning the corner on this thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

several of my acquaintances have already gotten the vaccine, or are about to. Hopefully we are finally turning the corner on this thing.

Good heavens, I hope so!

I'm always a bit leery of brand-new vaccines, but hopefully this one will work well.  Have any of your people had adverse reactions to it?

No reactions yet, except for delight at finally getting them! :smile: 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

No reactions yet, except for delight at finally getting them!

Glad to hear it!

'Ello friends, opinions needed!  Would you guys say this hair color is more ashy or more golden?

899daebb2a7592cc2b4f1db936be1996.jpg

You're not helpful!  :P  I'm asking about the tinge of it.  Is it a cool brown or a warm brown?

Let's see, I'd say it looks like my eye color.

Objectively, it looks pretty warm brown to me.

Subjectively, I was never told that I have warm loving eyes.

Hope that helps! 😝

• Haha 1
  • Tongue 1

I agree, more golden than ashen.  Of course it also depends on the lighting.

If that photo was on a box of hair dye, though, the results on one's own hair could be just about anything.  (Voice of experience here.  I once went for a nice subtle auburn and got flaming red.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But @Artemis, you never told us why do you want to know! 

Meanwhile,

20210118-140106.jpg

I hope they don't risk their lives with capes because they don't even wear mask the proper way!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/18/2021 at 12:03 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

But @Artemis, you never told us why do you want to know!

Nothing major.  I need to buy a new coat and I was trying to figure out whether a warmer color or cooler color would look best on me.  They're expensive so I don't want to pick the wrong one.  The picture is the closest I could find online to my natural hair color, although on further comparison I think it’s a tad warmer than mine.  (I don't think I'd call it chestnut, personally, because when I Google pictures of chestnut hair they all appear darker brown and quite a bit more red than this.)  I tried to take some pictures of my actual hair, but it changes dramatically with the lighting and they all came out with different tints that weren't really representative of how my hair looks most of the time.

Anyway!  After a little more research I have learned that my hair is neither warm nor cool, it is a neutral tone. 

is-my-hair-color-warm-or-cool-1600x800-1

Which makes sense, because my skin is also a neutral tone; I just didn't know that hair could be neutral-toned too.  And now it makes sense why I seem to be able to pull off some of both warm and cool colors, and why my worst colors are those that are either too dark or too bright/pale.  And why the people who cut my hair (along with everyone else) can never agree on what shade of brown it is, lol.

Gracias for the help!  :smile:  It’s funny you guys all said ‘warm’, because that picture came up in several places labeled as ‘ash brown’ and ‘cool brown’.  I thought it was right on the edge, that’s why I asked.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, Arcadia said:

There IS good news, though ... several of my acquaintances have already gotten the vaccine, or are about to. Hopefully we are finally turning the corner on this thing.

I just got word from my employer yesterday that we will have the opportunity to sign up for the vaccine next week.

• Like 1

Speaking of hair, I'm growing rapidly more gray along the hairline near my eyebrows.  Basically I'm going to look like the mother in "Poltergeist" pretty soon.

032212-Poltergeist-hair.jpg

Artemis, regarding your coat decision:  Have you ever seen a book called Color Me Beautiful?  [Link]  I've found it very helpful.  The basic idea is, you can't really generalize (e.g., redheads shouldn't wear pink) because colors are such a subtle, individual sort of thing.  Most of us know what our best and worst colors are, even though they may not be our favorite colors.  If you're interested, I can tell you how to test yourself -- here if anyone else is interested, or via private message otherwise.

My hair is reverting to what it was when I was little.  I was what they call a "towhead" (where "tow" is another word for flax), meaning my hair was a very pale blond.  It gradually got darker, till it was what the dye boxes call "dark blond" (because it wasn't brown, exactly, it was still the same color, just darker).

They say that "gray" or "silver" or "white" hair is actually still the same color it always was, it's just got so many tiny bubbles in it that it looks paler.  I do notice that when my hair's wet it looks pretty much the same as it did a few years ago.  But when it's dry, the part around my face is a very, very pale blond.  Call it silver if you like!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Most of us know what our best and worst colors are,

That’s the problem, I don’t.  :bemused:  I really can’t tell.  I mean, I know some of the colors I can’t wear, like I said above, but I have no idea what actually looks good on me.  And other people are no help, lol.  Sometimes someone will tell me that what I’m wearing is a bad color for me, and in the same day I’ll get a compliment on how good it looks.  I’ve been called a winter, spring, summer, and fall by different people.  I can’t get any clarity, lol.

I have heard of the book, and I think I even read it a long time ago.  I could take another look.

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I was what they call a "towhead" (where "tow" is another word for flax), meaning my hair was a very pale blond.  It gradually got darker, till it was what the dye boxes call "dark blond" (because it wasn't brown, exactly, it was still the same color, just darker).

My dad was a towhead too.  In some pictures from when I was very young, my hair appeared close to that color.  But in most, it appeared light brown.  So I’m not actually sure whether I have hair that’s truly brown, or a dark variation of blonde.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I know some of the colors I can’t wear, like I said above, but I have no idea what actually looks good on me.

OK, let's start with that.  Name as many specific colors as you can think of that you know you can't wear.  That should narrow it down some.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:29 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

OK, let's start with that.  Name as many specific colors as you can think of that you know you can't wear.  That should narrow it down some.

I can't wear black.  I also can't wear any color that's too dark, like dark evergreen or dark navy.  They overwhelm me.  Navy is generally a nice color on me, I've been told; it just can't be too dark.  I can't wear pure, stark white.  I can't wear any pastels, regardless of color.  I can't wear royal blue.  I can't wear gold (the color, not the metal), dark golden yellow, or mustard.  I can't wear fuchsia.  I can't wear mint, generally.  A few specific shades are okay.  While neither is my best color, army green and olive are wearable as long as they lean more towards a dull/muted green than a yellow/brown.  Same with lime, greener limes are better than yellowy limes.  Light heather gray looks nice on me, medium heather gray does not.

Some other colors I think look nice on me, besides navy, are varying shades of teal/turquoise/aqua (as long as they are not too bright), maroon, and certain shades of green.  There's a particular green that I really like on me a lot, but I don't know the name of it.  I think it might be a kind of Kelly green.

Besides the above, I've been complimented in both cool and warm shades of darker purples.  I get mixed reviews on red; everyone likes it on me, but some people tell me to go with deeper reds, some people say the opposite.  Coral is another; some people love it on me, others say it's too bright.

Once I wore a dress approximately this color of yellow, which I personally was indifferent to, but I got lots of compliments on it:

m_5a0100eff0137dc19d14948e.jpg

I also had a pair of denim jeans that were close to this color, and I got compliments every time I wore them:

61TV8KxAGaL._AC_UY445_.jpg

033331R-FOLDED_600x.jpg?v=1568687739

I had the same style in two other colors and was never complimented in them, so I don't think it was just how they fit me.  I don't know if that helps anything.

That's about all I know... if I remember anything else I'll add to this.