Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

25 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Just wear what you want, guys.

Good advice!  Generally I do, but I'm a bit fashion-blind and sometimes I pick things that raise eyebrows.  Normally I wouldn't care, but this is something I'll be wearing to work where very formal and professional dress is expected of me, and I just want it to look nice.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, Artemis said:

Speaking of hair, I'm growing rapidly more gray along the hairline near my eyebrows.  Basically I'm going to look like the mother in "Poltergeist" pretty soon.

I believe I had shared story that I had plenty, plenty of silver hairs during teenager year (it's more shiny and silverish, not greyish, are they the same?). It affected my self-confidence because some meanies boys made fun of that.

Other than that, I think I don't have feminine hands, I have big legs, I have high forehead, all those things made me self aware but I have come to know that my hands are fine, my strong legs are not meant for catwalk but proven to be precious assets in sports and nutty activities that I love, and high forehead means intelligence (said mom who has even higher forehead 😋)

In my uni years, I got even more silver hairs but I had learned to embrace it, in fact, a good friend liked to braid it together for me (they are kind of scattered but she managed) and it actually looked special (I insist!).

Then I lost them during my adult years, they actually turn back into my actual hair color (very dark brown), it's like reversed aging for hair, I have no idea what happened or noticed when it actually happened. Now I have normal hair age, I think, got silvery sprouts here and there but not allocated like yours.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:53 PM, Artemis said:

I can't wear black.  I also can't wear any color that's too dark, like dark evergreen or dark navy.  They overwhelm me.  Navy is generally a nice color on me, I've been told; it just can't be too dark.  I can't wear pure, stark white.  I can't wear any pastels, regardless of color.  I can't wear royal blue.  I can't wear gold (the color, not the metal), golden yellow, or mustard.  I can't wear fuchsia.  I can't wear mint, generally.  A few specific shades are okay.  While neither is my best color, army green and olive are wearable as long as they lean more towards a dull/muted green than a yellow/brown.  Same with lime, greener limes are better than yellowy limes.  Light heather gray looks nice on me, medium heather gray does not.

Actually, those 'can't', why can't, I mean, how reliable stylish are these people who commented on that?

I wore quite a lot of brighter colors back then, now I stick to dark and neutral colors like black, white, army, navy, brown and beige, or jeans when I wear one. But I don't remember thinking whether those bright colors suit me or not, yah, I'm not the best person to ask about style anyway, but I remember developing something in my head; that if I feel confident that day, somehow I think it projects out and raises the level of attractiveness because confidence affect comfort and we are more free to express our energy and 'charm' instead of worrying about appearance. But what I know, maybe I appear as more cheerful than usual so it could annoying on my confident days, but I am those selfish person who doesn't care what they think as long as I feel good. I had spent too much energy to worry about those people when I was young.

P.S. I thought black and white suit everyone, I am serious. Noone looks bad in them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

(it's more shiny and silverish, not greyish, are they the same?)

Mine are more silvery-white and shiny too, rather than flat gray.  I still call it gray, I don't know if there's a significant distinction.

5 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Actually, those 'can't', why can't,

"Can't" basically means they wash me out or don't look well against my skin.

7 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

P.S. I thought black and white suit everyone, I am serious. Noone looks bad in them?

Nope, that is a widespread myth.

The only thing that I had heard and really agrees with about color with pale lilac doesn't suit redhead.

But then again, I know nothing 😁

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Gawd no, white looks horrible on me. I look like the Pillsbury dough boy in white.  Black suits me, though, as long as it's a cool black.

I actually took one of those "what colors should you wear" courses many, many years ago, and I love it ... it makes shopping for clothes much easier, since I can skip over 3/4 of everything on the racks and go straight to something that has a chance of looking decent on me.

I've always heard that turquoise is the universal color ... but of course, there are many different shades of turquoise. I know that sea-green turquoise looks awful on me, e.g., but dark turquoise is one of my go-to colors.

Now if I could just find clothes that fit me properly...........

• Like 2

Preach, sister. I'm afraid I will need some new clothes after the whole "home office with direct access to the fridge" period - even if I tend to buy things with "a bit extra" allowance. If you are a "broccoli body type" it's so annoying. I wear garters for years now, otherwise I would fall over my trousers slipping down.

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2021 at 1:27 AM, besleybean said:

People have colours?

Just wear what you want, guys.

It's not like somebody passed a law or anything.  It's just that, like Arcadia said, each person has certain colors that look best on them.  I'm basically a no-nonsense type when it comes to my appearance -- I haven't worn makeup since I was in my 20s, and I don't fuss with my hair (other than to wash it, comb it, and get it cut once a month).  But I've always loved colors, and my life has become a whole lot easier since I started buying only "summer" colors, which look best on me.

Trust me, if I really wanted to wear some other colors, I would.  But I don't like the way they make me look, so I don't really want to wear them.  I've always loved "autumn" colors (rust, avocado, etc.), so I married Alex -- he looks terrific in them.

On 1/21/2021 at 1:53 AM, Artemis said:

I can't wear black.  I also can't wear any color that's too dark, like dark evergreen or dark navy.  They overwhelm me.  Navy is generally a nice color on me, I've been told; it just can't be too dark.  I can't wear pure, stark white.  I can't wear any pastels, regardless of color.

Try to ignore what other people have told you -- as you say, they don't even agree with each other.  Just tell us what colors you think you look best / worse in.  So far, I'd say you're not a Winter -- they look best in black, white, and bold primary colors.

What do you mean by "pastels?"  Do you mean anything lighter than medium, or do you mean super pale colors?

How do you look in chartreuse?

On 1/22/2021 at 10:58 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I had plenty, plenty of silver hairs during teenager year (it's more shiny and silverish, not greyish, are they the same?).

Some people lump all of those hair colors together, which makes no sense to me, because if they were talking about colors of paint, they'd make a distinction between silver, gray, and white.  Of course it's sometimes easier to refer all those hair colors by one name or another, if you're talking about people in general.  But for a specific person, it makes sense to use the specific color.

In my uni years, I got even more silver hairs but I had learned to embrace it, in fact, a good friend liked to braid it together for me (they are kind of scattered but she managed) and it actually looked special (I insist!).

I used to do that too!  The only silver hairs I had then were the little clump in front of each ear, so when I did my "fancy" hair style (everything loose except a small braid on each side), I used the silver hairs as one strand of each braid.  Dunno if anyone else ever noticed, but I thought it looked pretty cool!

I thought black and white suit everyone, I am serious. Noone looks bad in them?

I used to think that, because "everybody" says so (presumably the same people who claim that white goes with everything) -- but I look horrible in them, all washed out, and apparently Artemis does too.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:19 AM, besleybean said:

Oh I think red hair is lovely with lilac.

It depends on the shade of red hair (and perhaps also on the shade of lilac).  "They" always used to say that redheads shouldn't wear pink, but my mother had auburn hair and looked great in pink, as long as it was toward the lilac side.  Wearing coral-pink made her look ill, though.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Arcadia said:

it makes shopping for clothes much easier, since I can skip over 3/4 of everything on the racks and go straight to something that has a chance of looking decent on me.

I agree!  Being a "summer," I can just skip all the black and khaki pants and go straight for the blue.  You say you look good in "cool black," though -- I thought black was black.  Do you mean a bluish black?  (I look good in bluish gray.)

On 1/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Arcadia said:

I've always heard that turquoise is the universal color ... but of course, there are many different shades of turquoise. I know that sea-green turquoise looks awful on me, e.g., but dark turquoise is one of my go-to colors.

Here's what Carole Jackson says in Color Me Beautiful:  "Everyone can wear Summer's soft white (this is not a yellow-white). Other good colors for a group are Spring's corals and her light warm aqua, Autumn's deep periwinkle blue, and Summer's watermelon. These colors are not included in all the palettes, how- ever, because they are a compromise for some."  The book's light warm aqua color sample looks to me like a light-ish (closer to medium than to pale) blue-ish green.  As she says, these colors are going to be a compromise for some people -- coral doesn't look good on me, but there are worse colors.  Best to stick with your own colors whenever possible.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, J.P. said:

I wear garters for years now, otherwise I would fall over my trousers slipping down.

I was reading that with my American eyes, till I got to the trousers part.  Over here, one's trousers (which we call pants) are held up by suspenders, while garters hold up one's stockings.  Anyhow, I think suspenders are cool!  I've seen some really nice colors and patterns, too.

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Try to ignore what other people have told you -- as you say, they don't even agree with each other.  Just tell us what colors you think you look best / worse in.

The first two paragraphs of my post (including the part you quoted) were all my own opinion (besides being told that navy is a good color on me, but I agree with that, though I don't care for the color itself).

What do you mean by "pastels?"  Do you mean anything lighter than medium, or do you mean super pale colors?

Pastel as in "super pale".

I have no idea, that's not a color I normally wear.  Which shade of chartreuse are you talking about?  I'd assume it would fall in line with olive and lime for me: greener is better, too much yellow is worse.  Like all the yellow-greens it's probably "so-so", not good but not terrible.  That's just my best guess though, I'm really not sure.

You say you look good in "cool black," though -- I thought black was black.  Do you mean a bluish black?

Pure black is black, but clothes are rarely pure black, I think.  There's a warm black and a cool black (and everything in between).  Cool black has more blue (as explained here).

how-to-mix-cool-black.jpg

how-to-mix-warm-black.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 2:19 PM, besleybean said:

Oh I think red hair is lovely with lilac.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:38 PM, Arcadia said:

Gawd no, white looks horrible on me. I look like the Pillsbury dough boy in white.

See, I know nothing about fashion.

And I had to google Pillsbury dough boy. 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:18 PM, J.P. said:

If you are a "broccoli body type" it's so annoying. I wear garters for years now, otherwise I would fall over my trousers slipping

And google these, broccoli and garter but instead of answers, I have more questions. Broccoli body type turns out nothing, what is it like? I know about guitar, pear-shaped, pencil shape, but Broccoli? You are not that fella from the classic swamp thing yes?

And garter! Okay I googled it and all my page is filled with those racy thingy possibly worn by Irene Adler or the kind of lacy stuff worn by bride on tigh.

So you guys can imagine what J.P looks like in my head. Greeny swamp thing wearing Irene Adler's style garter. Help me guys.

P.S. I remember taking the test here to see what I am, I think I turned out to be autumn, and purchased an autumn color T shirt but then it doesn't look good. I have a long coat in same color and I think it looks great. Then I tried the T shirt again and it looks good.

One day I look great in white the other I could look like something from garage sale. I conclude it's inconsistent guys.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I conclude it's inconsistent guys.

A sound hypothesis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Broccoli body type turns out nothing, what is it like?

I don't know what that is either, lol.  Straight with big hair?  :P

I'm a pear shape.

I Googled some images of chartreuse and held my hand up to them.  I don't think any of these look good against my skin tone (but I also hate this color, so I might be biased):

adb6d157100bdccdf09896517c2de856.jpg

Most of these shades, on the other hand, I was okay with or neutral about, except for Pear, which is not good.

what-color-is-chartreuse-1077383-add97fe

Another color to add to my 'do not wear' list: Pink.  Almost any shade of pink.  I rarely find a pink that works.  I took a chance on purchasing a sweater online with some pink in it, and I shouldn't have, because I look sickly in it.  I need to just not ever buy pink.

I wear mostly red, blue, green, brown and purple on a rare occasion. That being said, I refuse to wear yellow, orange, pink and black.

I hate pink. Unfortunately, several of the bright shades look good on me. *sigh* I adore lavendar, but wearing it makes me look like I'm ill. *double sigh* Life is so unfair.

Yep, as demonstrated above, "cool" black veers towards blue, "warm" black veers towards red (or yellow). As do all colors, actually. There are "cool" blues and "warm" blues, for example. I enjoy keeping my art students confused trying to figure out which is which.... :D 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Artemis said:

I Googled some images of chartreuse and held my hand up to them.  I don't think any of these look good against my skin tone....

I'm not sure that's an accurate test.  Here are the basics of the Color Me Beautiful test:  You'll need a garment or a tablecloth or whatever in a color you want to test.  If you're wearing makeup, remove it, likewise any jewelry near your face.  Find a mirror near a window (or take a mirror outdoors into bright shade) so you have natural lighting, and hold the garment near your face so that it covers up your shirt.  Look in the mirror and see where your eyes are drawn.  If you find yourself compelled to look at your face, the garment is a good color for you, but if you find yourself looking at the garment, it's not.

One store where I sometimes buy clothing actually has a mirror near a non-tinted window.   :D

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You'll need a garment or a tablecloth or whatever in a color you want to test.

But then I would have to buy a garment or cloth in every color I want to test.  :bemused:  I don’t have that many clothes, lol.  Isn’t there an easier way?

Also I’m not sure that way of testing is going to help me much, because I’m going to be drawn to look at the garment regardless, lol.  Just about everything looks equally good or bad to me, that’s why I can’t tell what looks good on me.

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

But then I would have to buy a garment or cloth in every color I want to test.  

Not really.  Just enough so you can (hopefully) see a pattern forming.  Plus you can borrow things.  Or test yourself in stores (if they have untinted windows -- bring your own mirror).

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

Also I’m not sure that way of testing is going to help me much, because I’m going to be drawn to look at the garment regardless, lol.  Just about everything looks equally good or bad to me, that’s why I can’t tell what looks good on me.

Give it a try and see.  I know it sounds weird, but it works for me.

Failing that, you could search the web for a color consultant in your area.  Some consultants claim to work online, but I'm skeptical of that.  Also, unless you're really into makeup, be prepared to say a firm "no" to that part of the analysis -- you have to have clothing anyway, so why not get it in colors that look good on you?  There are official Color Me Beautiful consultants, and there are some independent consultants as well.  I was still hoping against hope to be an Autumn, so I tried one official and one indie -- and got the same result from each.  (Be aware, though, that some "color consultants" are interior designers, not clothing advisors.)

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Plus you can borrow things.

From who?  :P  My dad's wardrobe is limited to burgundy, forest, navy, and gray, lol.

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Or test yourself in stores (if they have untinted windows -- bring your own mirror).  [...]  Give it a try and see.

But this is what I do when I shop and why I know I need to take a different approach, lol.  I just end up staring at the mirror for 10 minutes trying to figure out if something looks flattering on me, and then inevitably come to the conclusion that I still have no clue.  And on the rare occasion I do find something that I can tell looks good on me, I never find anything else in that exact color again.  So I'll pick out something that I think looks close, but it's meh, or blah.  I haven't detected any pattern.  That's why I started out asking about warm/cool, because I thought that might at least be the start of a pattern, lol.  (But then I find out I'm a neutral, so that's not much help either.)  I mean, how do I even I know which colors are which?  Say I pick out a yellow shirt that I think will flatter me: What color yellow is it?  Is it a warmer yellow or cooler yellow?  There's so much crossover between shades of differently-labeled colors, and unless it's on the extreme end of the color spectrum (which are colors that tend not to suit me in either case), it can be hard to tell the difference between a warm and cool color.  How can I see a pattern if I don't know where on the spectrum a color falls?  I can't seem to get a feel for the general range of colors that have a good chance of looking nice on me, so I don't have to keep guessing.  I just want to be able to buy something online and not have to either send it back or tolerate how it looks, you know?  I hate shopping.  *Sigh*.

Sorry Carol, I swear I'm not trying to be contrary, lol.  I guess I really just need a professional eye.  I probably will never pay for one though.

18 hours ago, Artemis said:

I guess I really just need a professional eye.  I probably will never pay for one though.

Well then, let me know when you'll next be in Indiana, and I'll lend you my unprofessional eye!  (And I'll let you know if I'm ever up your way.)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well then, let me know when you'll next be in Indiana, and I'll lend you my unprofessional eye!

Lol, thanks!  I'd be glad to have it.

Actually I was thinking of heading down to Indianapolis in 2024 for the solar eclipse.  So remind me again in 3 years!  :P

• Like 1

I just noticed that it's my forum anniversary.  Have I really been here 4 years already?  :blink: