Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I don't mind being criticized at all, feel free to do so, very aware of my own shortcoming. Just that particular past felt like personal attack that make me wonder if it's frown upon here

You're talking about when someone repeatedly criticized your English usage?  That was very bad manners.  It's one thing to offer friendly advice, but quite another thing to be harshly critical.  We certainly don't have any grammar requirements here!

t must be a dilemma to be allergic but loves cats. Oh dear.

As for masks, I have multiple cloth masks that I wash just like how I'd wash clothes. I tried to do whatever tricks someone told me, but almost burned them. Why don't you try one and see how it goes? I'd recommend washing them rightaway after using.

Above that medical mask and N95 should provide better coverage with N95 being the higher end. 

Fortunately I'm just mildly allergic to cats, but my nose has been very irritated this winter, not sure why, and my allergy has flared up a bit.  I'm not even sure which is cause and which is effect.  I assume both will calm back down when spring arrives, but meanwhile I'm in coping mode.  Thanks for your mask advice.  I'll just have to see what works for me.

Also, would it help if you change the kitty litter to sand type? The dust could be.. I don't know, more natural?

I don't think it's the litter (which is made from recycled newspapers).  And it's not very dusty compared to most types.  I suspect it's mostly the feline additions in the dust that bother me.

Alex pointed out that I should stop nuzzling the cats, which I should have thought of myself of course.  Years ago I had a cat who was hyperallergenic.  Every time I handled her to any extent (for example, if I'd been combing her), I had to wash my hands before I dared to touch my face.  I think one of the current bunch may be a bit like that (and naturally it's the one who really loves to cuddle -- but we've had him for ten years already, with no noticeable problem until this winter).

• Like 1

Years ago I was horrified to think I might be becoming allergic to cats. But then I realized that every time my allergies acted up when I nuzzled my cat he had just come in from outside, so it was the pollen I was reacting to.  Thank goodness!

• Like 3

Hi, Kim!  Glad to hear that your allergies are mostly non-cat-related.

My allergy doctor talked a lot about "total load," meaning the sum of all one's allergies.  I think my worst allergens are mostly dust and mold.  If I can keep the house tidy, so I'm basically dealing with only the cat allergy, it's no big deal.  (Though perhaps it's just as well if I don't nuzzle them.)

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm always a bit leery of brand-new vaccines, but hopefully this one will work well.  Have any of your people had adverse reactions to it?

I got my first dose today, I'll let you know if I experience any adverse reactions.  So far all I have is a very sore arm.  I'm also feeling short of breath, but I suspect that's just anxiety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kimber8ada said:

Years ago I was horrified to think I might be becoming allergic to cats.

I have that worry quite constantly, knowing that allergy could develop over time. Pressing or nurrying my face in my dog's fur is one very effective way to calm me down and remember things are not as bad, so please never let it happen, I still have many faces to bury.. it doesn't sound too good, but yeah, it's unfortunate that some people have allergy to animals.

Wondering if it's vice versa. That would be worse if domesticated cat/dog have human allergy, since they are basically dependent and we are everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My sister's ex-partner but still house mate(don't ask, it's complicated!)is/was technically allergic to cats...

but they have always had two cats, it was a case of submersion to become tolerant, or something...

her girlfriend next door(told you it was complicated!) also had cats...

16 hours ago, besleybean said:

My sister's ex-partner but still house mate(don't ask, it's complicated!)

That happens more often than you might think, and yes it's complicated!

An  amusing aside...

our best man and his wife, ended up staying together, simply because they couldn't sell their house.

Following the....'we are going to break up' phone call...

we had a 'we're pregnant again' phone call and that was that...

• Haha 1

Oh, over 25 years ago...

there may some sort of resolution with my sister's situation , in the next year or two...

her housemate is hoping to retire and then decisions will have to be made-

re: locations, house mates etc.

9 hours ago, besleybean said:

over 25 years ago...

The new baby's all grown up, then!  I guess if they're still together, it may work out yet.

9 hours ago, besleybean said:

there may some sort of resolution with my sister's situation , in the next year or two...

her housemate is hoping to retire and then decisions will have to be made- re: locations, house mates etc.

Does your sister seem uncomfortable with the current status quo?  If she is, that may already be a resolution of sorts.

Oh no all is fine,

it is just the housemate's retiral is the next natural step,

plus whatever happens with our parents and then my own retirement...

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:33 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Today I came across a face-recognition quiz [here].  It's not intended as a real diagnostic -- right now they're apparently testing anyone who comes along, and using the results to help come up with a standardized test -- but it is interesting nevertheless.  They show you black & white photos of famous people (mostly American celebrities), just their faces, and ask if you can identify them.

Alex and I both tried it, and of course he did far better than I did, partly because he's much better at recognizing faces, but also because he's more of a movie buff than I am.  (I got one that he didn't, though.   :D )

Well, I did much better than average, so there goes my "face-blindess" theory. I guess if my parents had been famous, I wouldn't have had any trouble recognizing them. :smile: 

On 2/4/2021 at 4:51 PM, kimber8ada said:

Years ago I was horrified to think I might be becoming allergic to cats. But then I realized that every time my allergies acted up when I nuzzled my cat he had just come in from outside, so it was the pollen I was reacting to.  Thank goodness!

Same thing happened to me! I had one cat in particular who seemed to delight in rolling in the pollen on the driveway, and he'd set me off when I cuddled him. As you say, thank goodness that's what it was!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Well, I did much better than average, so there goes my "face-blindess" theory. I guess if my parents had been famous, I wouldn't have had any trouble recognizing them.

Bear in mind that face-blindness isn't an all-or-nothing proposition.  There's an entire spectrum, from super-recognizers on one end to people like my mother on the other end, and I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere in the middle.  You may have done so much better than me (and better than average) at least in part because you're familiar with a lot of currently famous faces.  Plus I didn't tend to venture a name unless I was reasonably sure.  I missed a couple that I could have gotten right by half guessing.

I was surprised at how easy, for me, the test was. I only missed one and I recognized her face but couldn't think of the name. I'm puzzled by some of the results. The average score for my age group was only 8.70 but I thought the subjects should all be relatively well known. Also I thought there would be more obscure choices, but it did state it was about famous faces so I guess that would explain it.

I suspect in my case, a lot of times I don't recognize people because I'm a) inherently shy and b) not usually very interested in people, especially new ones. So I tend not to look at their faces a lot. However, that doesn't explain why I couldn't recognize my own parents! Or my own brother when he met me at the train station once; looked right past him about four times, until he finally hailed me. Embarrassing!

12 hours ago, kimber8ada said:

I only missed one

Wow!

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm a) inherently shy and b) not usually very interested in people, especially new ones. So I tend not to look at their faces a lot. However, that doesn't explain why I couldn't recognize my own parents! Or my own brother when he met me at the train station once

Were you expecting to be met by your brother?  If not, you wouldn't have been looking for him.  But if you did know he'd be there, that is a bit odd.  Had his appearance changed since the last time you'd seen him?  New hairstyle, glasses, not his usual clothing?

What one is expecting to see can make a big difference.

Yeah, I was expecting him. He was my ride! :smile: I don't remember him looking any different; it was cold (Thanksgiving time) and he was bundled up, maybe that's all it took to throw me. Although I've seen him bundled up before.....

On 2/4/2021 at 8:27 PM, Artemis said:

I got my first dose today, I'll let you know if I experience any adverse reactions.  So far all I have is a very sore arm.  I'm also feeling short of breath, but I suspect that's just anxiety.

10 days out, here’s what I’ve experienced so far.

In the first couple of hours after the vaccine, shakiness, shortness of breath and hot flashes.  A tad of numbness in my arm and leg on the injection side.

In the first couple of days, an extremely sore arm and heavy fatigue.

Right after that, I developed a very tender lump on my collarbone, which Google tells me is probably a swollen lymph node circulating white blood cells to fight off the infection.  I hope it’s that, anyway.

It’s still there, but as of yesterday, the tenderness is beginning to subside, as long as I don’t accidentally pinch or bump it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 2/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Was his face partially hidden by the "bundling"?

His chin, maybe!

On 2/14/2021 at 2:35 AM, Artemis said:

10 days out, here’s what I’ve experienced so far.

In the first couple of hours after the vaccine, shortness of breath and hot flashes.  A tad of numbness in my arm.

In the first couple of days, an extremely sore arm and heavy fatigue.

Right after that, I developed a very tender lump on my collarbone, which Google tells me is probably a swollen lymph node circulating white blood cells to fight off the infection.  I hope it’s that, anyway.

It’s still there, but as of yesterday, the tenderness is beginning to subside, as long as I don’t accidentally pinch or bump it.

Yike. Well, better to be forewarned, I guess. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Apparently my nephew qualified for some special status; at any rate, he just got the shot. My brother-in-law (who does have a tendency to be dramatic) said my nephew felt "deathly ill" afterwards, but when I asked for specifics, it sounded more like what you're describing, especially the fatigue. Which isn't pleasant, of course, but I'm willing to put up with it if it protects me from the virus!

On 2/13/2021 at 2:01 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Was his face partially hidden by the "bundling"?

Not sure why, this makes me lol.

Hey, I'm short of money! Didn't realize we can sell this. You can have mine for a dollar! You can do monthly subscription too, I have plenty!

60224f205e607-z4mlbk0w5kf41-700.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 2/23/2021 at 1:43 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I honestly didn't know Math is that hard.

And that's just addition! Wait until you get to long division, you'll be amazed at how much you'll long for a calculator....

• Like 2

Could the palmrecovery thingy is just a super calculator store?

Related, do you guys feel dumber everyday?

I used to be good at mental math, and actually remember a lot of phone numbers and ID numbers, birthdays and everything. Now that I have smartphone that could help me with all that, I don't think I even remember those emergency numbers, I'm doubtful about my mental calculation and mix-up dates, I'd never able to precisely answer today's date in short notice.