Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I realize that most flu-type symptoms are not caused by the disease as such, they're the body's attempts to fight off the disease (e.g., raising the temperature to a range where the germs can't multiply as fast).  And I realize that immunization is supposed to fool the body into thinking it's under attack, so that it'll produce antibodies -- so of course if the "threat" is realistic enough, the body will go all-out, thus producing symptoms.  But darn!

One thing that isn't clear from what little I've heard -- when people say it feels like having Covid, are they talking about just aches and fever -- or do they also start coughing, sneezing, etc.?

No, they definitely don't. Unless they happen to have an upper airway infection at the same time but that would have nothing to do with the vaccine. 

I can't compare my post vaccination symptoms to Covid because to my knowledge, I fortunately haven't had the latter, but my experience was headache, nausea, fever, shivers, muscle and joint pain and extreme fatigue 8 to 48 hours after the shot. 

According to my knowledge, a strong reaction does not necessarily mean you've been exposed to the virus, it's simply an expression of your immune system doing its job and young people with strong immune systems are more likely to have these symptoms. What does seem to be true however is that people who had Covid have a higher risk, if you will, of developing strong reactions to the vaccine. Doesn't mean that that's a reliable sign of previous infection though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had my second dose yesterday. Today I have a fever and chills. (Fortunately, I have nothing to do today.) No effects from the first dose. I've heard it was pretty much that way with seniors (I'm 66.)

• Thanks 1

Hi, Pamela -- nice to see you again!  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Which brand did you get?

Hubby is getting his second shot tomorrow, and I'm about ready to schedule my first one.

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hi, Pamela -- nice to see you again!  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Which brand did you get?

Hubby is getting his second shot tomorrow, and I'm about ready to schedule my first one.

It was Pfizer. I've found the only place I feel okay is in bed under the electric blanket with a cold pack on my head (oh yeah, I also have a headache.) I do hope I feel better by tomorrow afternoon. Getting a badly needed haircut at 2:30.

So glad you're getting those! It's awesome how available it is now for people who want them. I don't understand those who don't.

Oh, about that first thing - never fear - I'M ALWAYS LURKING! (Seriously!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pamela said:

the only place I feel okay is in bed under the electric blanket with a cold pack on my head (oh yeah, I also have a headache.) I do hope I feel better by tomorrow afternoon.

Yeah, I hope you do too!

never fear - I'M ALWAYS LURKING! (Seriously!)

I kinda had that feeling.   :D   You do tend to pop up now and then.

15 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, I hope you do too!

I kinda had that feeling.   :D   You do tend to pop up now and then.

Yay! My fever broke!

Also decided to change my avatar - yep, that's me, first grade. I was adorable, then went downhill from there. Oh well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamela said:

Also decided to change my avatar - yep, that's me, first grade. I was adorable, then went downhill from there. Oh well.

Love your hair!  My dad was a "towhead" blond as well.  Looks so pretty to me.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:50 PM, Hikari said:

I felt a little hot and lightheaded immediately after the shot, while I was waiting, but it passed in half a minute or less.  I think it was psychosomatic, honestly.

I had a similar reaction (though it lasted longer than a minute) and thought it was psychosomatic too at first, but I had the same reaction after my second dose, so I think it's actually just a minor side effect.

• Thanks 1

Also decided to change my avatar - yep, that's me, first grade.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

Love your hair!  My dad was a "towhead" blond as well.

I was a towhead too, but back then everything was in black and white.  Love your cute color photo, Pamela!

And welcome back, Artie!

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2021 at 10:06 PM, Artemis said:

I had a similar reaction (though it lasted longer than a minute) and thought it was psychosomatic too at first, but I had the same reaction after my second dose, so I think it's actually just a minor side effect.

Got my second dose of Pfizer on Thursday.  Had yesterday off from work, which was just as well.  I had no major side effects, but I definitely felt this one more.   The first jab was nearly undetectable, but the second one was a real Ow.  Felt like a bee sting.  I had the same nurse as before, so I don't think it was her technique.  Other people reported the same thing.   Immediately after I got back from the observation period, I put a cold pack on my arm for 2 hours and took three Tylenol.  My arm still got sore, but doing this bought me about three additional hours before that happened.  It wasn't more painful than before, but it has definitely lasted longer.  First time was 24 hours almost to the dot.  I'm in hour 47 now and I can still feel a little pain when I lift my arm.  I switched up arms so this time was in my dominant one (the right).  I developed a headache between my eyes around 9 or 10 pm that night that lasted for a couple of hours; I took 3 more Tylenol before I went to sleep.  No problems sleeping; no night sweats, chills or fever.  At worst, I felt tired, heavy and stiff.  Kind of like you do when you've got a cold, except there wasn't any congestion or coughing.  I had a stuffy head for a little while when I first lay down, but that went away.  That might have also been from dust mites or the seasonal change in temps.  All in all, not bad.  I'm glad I didn't have to work the next day but I think I could have, if required--though pushing it may have made me feel worse than I did at home.  It was a great excuse to lay in bed for most of the day watching movies, in between bouts of making food.  My appetite seemed normal, but I tried to eat fairly light over the two days because I didn't want a lot in my stomach in case I felt pukey.  I didn't.  

I would advise, if feasible, that anyone getting the second shot (or the first, in the case of J&J) schedule a sick day for the following day.  My employer was generous in allowing us an hour each time on the clock to get the shots without having to take time.  I was prepared to get more ill, so I would have taken a sick day if I hadn't been off already.  You most likely will feel pretty OK, though you might not feel up to your usual activities and will just want to sleep or relax.  If you do have to work, at least try to take a half-day or do lighter activities if you can.  If your job involves being on your feet a lot or heavy lifting, probably best to avoid that first day after.  I'm at work today and I feel fine now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 1:56 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

Maybe it's just a sign of you getting older.

I start to feel that now, it seems like the body starts to turn against me. Maybe I take it a bit harder because I used to do strenuous and demanding activities and I don't want to give up on those. And now if I know I have to start taking things easy it doesn't sit well with me. I don't like the idea of suggested replacement exercises or sports, or reducing the intensity, even for temporary but most likely things will never be the same.

I never abuse my body; I don't smoke, drink, drugs and exercise regularly, yet maybe I could take better care of it not to push many limits? But no, I would do the same, in fact I think I should do more while I can. Sigh, what am I blabbering.

On the other hand I had grown more respect to older people who had gone through it. Just like I have more respect the more I experience life. Things suck, but you guys (for older than me people) are still fine. All the emotional craps, sadness, lost, sorrow, life lessons, I have very little experience with those and already feel overwhelmed and terrified of the inevitable every single day. Not sure if I would get through those milestones and maintain my sanity.

Oh, to brain thingy. I don't have good short term memory since much younger, although my long term memory seems better. And mentioned, mental math seems deteriorate a bit. Others still okay, but it's getting 'funny' now. Like I won some difficult brain games this morning with my online opponents but then I pulled a muscle trying to open fridge's door. %@%#

@vaccine 

My parents and other relatives had their first and second shots, they are all fine, but my dad's friends who are much younger than him had to stay in bed for two days (for both shots) because they got headache and fever. Others, the most is stinging sensation or numbness just for a short while (less than an hour).

On 4/2/2021 at 8:50 AM, Pamela said:

:D

I lost all of my childhood picture, so I don't even remember how I looked like. Pretty sure it's not only downhill, it's avalanche for me.

Now I have to get used to you not looking like Jeremy Brett. Reality still hits me now and then that some of you are not your avatar.

on vaccine again, I hope there is no serious problem with antivaxx. No NO!  All this should be teamwork, we are on second year now, that is embarrassing. It shouldn't be this hard to defeat.

20210408-130346.jpg

• Haha 2

I have a few of my childhood pictures.  Here's one of me and my brother.  I was around 8. 

404943f97c54bb1d50c9bcf229bee71037289898

I had very sticky-out ears as a kid, but I grew into them, lol.

• Like 4

How nice! You guys are good looking, nothing wrong with the ears!

My good friend doesn't grow into them, I make fun of him all the time but I know he doesn't mind. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

on vaccine again, I hope there is no serious problem with antivaxx.

Of the people that I know, most are choosing to be vaccinated.  A few are not, but I doubt that'll make much difference in the "herd immunity" effect.  The main delay will be with people who aren't in any of the groups being vaccinated just yet.

8 hours ago, Artemis said:

I have a few of my childhood pictures.  Here's one of me and my brother.  I was around 8. 

That is a really cute picture of you!  I'll have to see what old photos I have around here.  I think there were one or two that weren't too bad!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'll have to see what old photos I have around here.  I think there were one or two that weren't too bad!

Please share if you can find one!  :smile: 

13 hours ago, besleybean said:

Fabulous hair, darling!

That was my humid-weather look.  :D   It wasn't my hair-DO, it was simply what my hair DID!  It's not as curly and frizzy now, but it still has a mind of its own.  My current hair gal is terrific -- she doesn't even try to style it, she just treats it as a topiary.

8 hours ago, Pamela said:

Cutie pie!

Right back atcha!

• Haha 1

All of my childhood photos are currently in storage. So you'll just have to take my word for it that I was adorable. :P 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I don't like my childhood photo's, I have bowl cut hait and look like a boy.

I don't like most of mine -- but I did have one good year.  (Please don't ask what I looked like in my teens!)

20 hours ago, J.P. said:

Hmmm… actually I might like my  childhood photos better than the recent ones. :P

^ Same here.