Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

2 hours ago, DistantView said:

it gets out of hand, as it seems with a subset with a vendetta against his wife... ? It is kind of weird.

Nothing new, alas.

Back in the early 70s, when Star Trek was becoming something of a phenomenon in syndication, and therefore Leonard Nimoy was becoming even more popular than he'd been during the network run of the show, certain so-called fans were sending voodoo death-threat dolls to his wife.   :blink:

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nothing new, alas.

Back in the early 70s, when Star Trek was becoming something of a phenomenon in syndication, and therefore Leonard Nimoy was becoming even more popular than he'd been during the network run of the show, certain so-called fans were sending voodoo death-threat dolls to his wife.   :blink:

Yikes, that's egregious. I sometimes really sympathize with the more prominent celebrities who have to deal with a rabid fan base... after I've reminded myself about how much they generally earn for their craft.  We all have stress in our respective careers I guess.

I wouldn't care to be any kind of celebrity, no matter how much they paid me -- living in a fishbowl, fans acting like they own you ... and worse.

Plus there's often a shortened lifespan due to stress and other factors.  For athletes, there are debilitating injuries.  And (at least until just a few years ago) actors seemed to be expected to smoke whenever the script called for it, which must have lead to nicotine addiction (and even more smoking) in many cases.  I can't think how many actors I've learned died from either lung cancer or emphysema.  It certainly seems to have been a higher rate than for the general population.

That's a sad statistic, but not surprising.  

Several years ago I saw a film from the 1940s, classic famous film but the name escapes me, and was impressed by the leading actress (who's name also escapes me) and I looked her up afterwards.  She was essentially discovered by some Mogul, and was so incredibly shy and introverted that she had to drink sips of whisky in between takes because of nerves.  The increasing pressure during filming led to more drinking,  alcoholism, and she wound up dying from liver complications at age 32. 

I agree: no amount of money would entice me to become any sort of visually recognizable celebrity.  No thanks.

• Sad 1

... so incredibly shy and introverted that she had to drink sips of whisky in between takes because of nerves.  The increasing pressure during filming led to more drinking,  alcoholism, and she wound up dying from liver complications at age 32. 

That reminds me a bit of Judy Garland's story (the producers thought she was "fat," so put her on a diet of black coffee and chicken soup, with a side of cigarettes and so-called diet pills.  But she lived (if you could call it that) to age 47, then died of a drug overdose.

Trying to think who your gal could be.  Maybe her name will occur to you, or someone else will think of it.

Booze, drugs, and tobacco -- all are often bad news.

Hi everyone!!! 🙂

It's been soooooo long since I've been here!!! A lot of things happened to me... I started two vocational training courses and I have two jobs. I'm also buying a flat!! I'm very, very busy, but I really want to come back here !!😃 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That reminds me a bit of Judy Garland's story (the producers thought she was "fat," so put her on a diet of black coffee and chicken soup, with a side of cigarettes and so-called diet pills.  But she lived (if you could call it that) to age 47, then died of a drug overdose.

Trying to think who your gal could be.  Maybe her name will occur to you, or someone else will think of it.

Booze, drugs, and tobacco -- all are often bad news.

After I posted that I searched for the actress,  but so far came up empty. Going to keep looking and post when I figure out who it is. I saw the film about a decade ago, but it was definitely from the 40s or possibly late 30s. It had noir elements,  but not sure it was pure noir. And there are a LOT of those,  so I have my work cut out, lol.

Yeah, it does remind of Judy Garland.  Rough business sometimes.  The music industry might be even worse in some regards.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Carol !! 😃 I'm very happy to come back here !!! I'm very busy every day, but I want to take a moment for myself when I can do it!! 

• Like 1

@Carol the Dabbler

The actress was Gail Russell (and the film I had seen was The Uninvited 1944). Phew! I can cross that one off the list...

https://reelrundown.com/celebrities/Gail-Russell-A-Life-Destroyed-by-Fame

• Thanks 1

The actress was Gail Russell (and the film I had seen was The Uninvited 1944).

Thanks for that info, DV.  Even though I've seen a lot of old movies on TV (and have read the book that one of Russell's movies was based on), I don't recall ever seeing anything she was in.

Such a sad story, though.  That article kept calling her "shy," but sounds to me like she was an introvert (and possibly shy as well).  If her mother hadn't goaded her into an acting career, she might we'll have lived a long, satisfying life as an illustrator.  So I shall add one more item to my list above: stage parents.  Like alcohol, they can have a fairly benign effect, but in more extreme cases they can be deadly.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

So I shall add one more item to my list above: stage parents.  Like alcohol, they can have a fairly benign effect, but in more extreme cases they can be deadly.

Oh yes... sometimes this is the worst of all. I can think of multiple,  young actors that this applies to. It saddens me that parents perp this type of corruption on their children, but it's not as if Hollywood or any major film industry is exactly a picture of innocence. 

• Sad 1

On 8/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

Guess who got engaged?

But... but that is the end of an era! How could you??

(Read: congrats FL 😁)

On 8/11/2021 at 11:31 AM, Arcadia said:

Actually, mine is a rather unique location, which is why I was so determined to find a home here in spite of certain drawbacks. Its a rural setting ... lots of trees, near a lake, low housing density ... but I'm only 15 minutes from the bustling downtown, where I work. Admittedly, it's a rather small town, but it's got it's share of urban sprawl ... but all the sprawl is in the other direction, because there's a river between my neighborhood and the rest of the area. And the river loops around my neighborhood, protecting us from new roads being built. Most importantly, there's no 1000 acre lots waiting to be gobbled up by developers; everything's small here. No McMansions, no strip malls, no fake "town centers." Just homes of all different styles and sizes. I love it. I just wish my own home had been a little lot better taken care of before I bought it. Still waiting for the rough times to pass. 😞 

Sounds nice, I always want to stay in a place where I could just grab my dog and head to the back yard and walk to wilderness. But when I need it, it should be easy to connect to urban area to get stuffs I need, or easy to find because I do most of my shopping online. Also, the place should be murderers and creeps resistant. And idiots.

I dropped by the forum sometimes ago but then didn't want to log in because I saw news about Una. I know nothing about her  in real life, but from very little thing that I read about her, she was a lovely and wonderful person and I love Mrs. Hudson. I won't go as far as saying that I feel sad but I'll miss her works.

• Like 1

Question about preference:

When you read a book, do you prefer that the chapters have titles, or just numbers?

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Question about preference:

When you read a book, do you prefer that the chapters have titles, or just numbers?

Numbers only...

I really prefer to have both, but if they put only one or the other, I prefer numbers. That's because I often want to know how long a chapter is, and by checking the chapter numbers I can be sure I'm not accidentally putting two chapters together.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:13 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Plus there's often a shortened lifespan due to stress and other factors.  For athletes, there are debilitating injuries.  And (at least until just a few years ago) actors seemed to be expected to smoke whenever the script called for it, which must have lead to nicotine addiction (and even more smoking) in many cases.  I can't think how many actors I've learned died from either lung cancer or emphysema.  It certainly seems to have been a higher rate than for the general population.

I was just reminded of this post because I read an interview with Benedict on his upcoming film 'Power of the Dog '. He was asked what were some of the more difficult things he had to do on set and one of them was smoke cigarettes with no filter (gaff! I agree... any cig, filter or no,  is disgusting imho). He said they made him sick. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, DistantView said:

I read an interview with Benedict on his upcoming film 'Power of the Dog '. He was asked what were some of the more difficult things he had to do on set and one of them was smoke cigarettes with no filter (gaff!

If a film character is supposed to be boozing it up, don't they actually give them tea or something?  Seems like they could also supply fake cigarettes.

But I suppose fake cigarettes would be far more expensive than real ones, unlike tea vs booze.  Come to think of it, maybe expense is the major reason for not using real booze, and not impairing the actor's performance is just a nice bonus.

Yeah, call me a cynic!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I really prefer to have both, but if they put only one or the other, I prefer numbers. That's because I often want to know how long a chapter is, and by checking the chapter numbers I can be sure I'm not accidentally putting two chapters together.

Ah yes, I meant number only or number+title.

Title only would be too confusing of course.

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

If a film character is supposed to be boozing it up, don't they actually give them tea or something?  Seems like they could also supply fake cigarettes.

But I suppose fake cigarettes would be far more expensive than real ones, unlike tea vs booze.  Come to think of it, maybe expense is the major reason for not using real booze, and not impairing the actor's performance is just a nice bonus.

Yeah, call me a cynic!

Yeah, I would think most would be drinking tea or something in place of alcohol, well for most productions anyway ;). And the cigarettes as well. I know the guy who played the cigarette smoking man on the X-Files smoked herbal cigs. 

IDK, but they must have been real in PotD, since BC had such an aversion to them... unless unfiltered, herbal cigs also taste like crap (well, haha, I can think of one type that doesn't,  imho, lol).

On 9/14/2021 at 7:40 AM, J.P. said:

It's strange about the cigs. I've heard they use nicotine-free ones, but maybe it's the smoke itself, that's getting worse without filters. Comes with the job I suppose.

As I understand it, the problem with nicotine is that it's a terribly addictive psychoactive drug.  So yeah, nicotine-free is an improvement.  But it's not the nicotine that makes you cough and eventually kills you, it's the "tar" whatever that may be.  I suspect that *any* smoke, if inhaled frequently over many years, could cause lung cancer, emphysema, cardiovascular problems, etc.

As I said somewhere around here just recently, it's appalling to see the number of actors who have died from lung cancer and emphysema, some of them ridiculously young.

There's no excuse, in this day and age, for actual smoking to be considered a routine part of an actor's job.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

... there's an RV (recreational vehicle -- i.e , camper) dealership here in Indiana that's named for its owner, one Tom Raper.  I think I'd have just called it Tom's RV.  Or changed my name to Draper.  Or something.

It occurred to me this morning that Raper is probably the same name as Roper, with each being a variation of Roeper, with the former approximating the pronunciation and the latter simplifying the spelling.  (I've seen the same sort of variation in other umlauted-o German names, such as Rader and Roeder).

I think I'd have gone with Roper!