Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I'm just barely old enough to have grown up without computers as well, which is why I want none of that back. :D But yeah, medicine is another good point, not to mention such lovely details as not being allowed to vote yet.

• Like 1

Vote, right -- and own property.  A lot of things have changed over just the past hundred years or so.

I think I could manage without some of them, though, depending on the incentives.  But without modern medicine, I would probably have died when I was ten years younger than I am now.

I've had this conversation a couple of times. When I was younger I would have said yes. Now, though ... yeah, dentistry.....

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

When I was younger I would have said yes. Now, though ... yeah, dentistry.....

I don't care to end up with full dentures (like both of my parents), and I suspect that was the best that could be hoped for in the late 1800s.

Fortunately, after years of disappointing results from one dentist after another, I recently found a detail-oriented fellow who quickly got my mouth into good shape -- though I still need to make appointments for three implants, so I'd better stay here in the 21st century.

• 2 weeks later...

My condolences to the Royal Family, to the people of the UK -- and to the world, really -- on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II earlier today, and best wishes to King Charles III.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, besleybean said:

I am republican and frankly furious at the immedate installation of a king.

He has to wait a year for his coronation. He's 73.

Holy moly...

well if we can manage without a monarch for  a year...

frankly it shows we don't actually need one.

54 minutes ago, besleybean said:

I am republican and frankly furious at the immedate installation of a king.

Apparently that's simply the tradition, and tradition is, after all, the foundation of the current Royal Family.  Near as I understand it, they haven't held much actual power for quite some time.

If anyone's planning to see the British royalty demoted, now would be an extremely awkward time, what with a good many people feeling grief and even disorientation.  Best to wait till the matter can be discussed calmly.  I've read that the new King is wanting to decrease the number of people who are officially considered royalty, which could be considered a step in that direction.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

Says who?

An article I read, which I can't find now. But there is this one: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a39194535/prince-charles-king-coronation-timing/ 

Apparently Charles automatically became king at the instant of Elizabeth's passing.  Coronation is traditional and ceremonial, but it won't make him the king.

1 hour ago, besleybean said:

My whole issue is that there is no discussion.

We might as well live in Russia!

Bev, I could very well understand your feelings if the Prime Ministership suddenly became hereditary.  But it doesn't seem to me that Elizabeth's death is quite the time to be discussing whether or not to have a new king. 

Or are you saying that there should be more effort in general -- not specifically at this time -- toward eliminating or phasing out the monarchy?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Apparently Charles automatically became king at the instant of Elizabeth's passing.  Coronation is traditional and ceremonial, but it won't make him the king.

It's comparable to a new US President taking office.  The oath of office is not what does it, it's the clock.  The 20th Amendment states, "The terms of the President and the Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January...; and the terms of their successors shall then begin."

It's not comparabe at all.

That s my whole point.

You get to vote, we don't.

Republic now.

Sorry, Bev, I should have said "analogous" -- since my point was that neither the oath nor the coronation is what makes the person a president or a monarch.

But I'm still a bit puzzled by your strong objection to the monarchy, perhaps because I'm not all that well versed in what a modern British King can and cannot do.  My impression is that (other than his clout within the Royal Family itself) his role is mostly ceremonial -- e.g., waving at people and dubbing the occasional knight -- and the "kingdom" is actually ruled by Parliament, mostly the House of Commons.

Which brings up a related issue:  What is the current role of the House of Lords, do they still have any power to speak of, and do you object to them as well?

On 9/10/2022 at 1:10 AM, besleybean said:

They are also unelected.

Who do you get to elect?  Sorry for the dumb question.  I was under the same impression as Carol about role of the monarchy.

I get why there are people who want to do away with the establishment, but what surprises me somewhat is the timing and intensity.  I've heard hardly any objections really in ages, but now suddenly there is intense outrage en masse.  Where has the outrage been for the last decade?  You knew you'd be getting a new monarch after the death of Elizabeth II, didn't you?

On 9/8/2022 at 3:04 PM, besleybean said:

My whole issue is that there is no discussion.

Who's responsible for starting that discussion, and in what format is it to be discussed?

Sorry again if these are dumb questions, I'm very curious about this issue.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:26 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hey, where is everybody?

Apologies for my extended absence.  Good God Almighty, have I had the summer from Hell.  From HELL, I say!  Second worst of my life.

• Sad 1

Welcome back, Artie -- we missed you!

Judging by your post on another thread, you've been dealing with covid.  I hope your autumn will minimally be an improvement over your summer!

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Welcome back, Artie -- we missed you!

Judging by your post on another thread, you've been dealing with covid.  I hope your autumn will minimally be an improvement over your summer!

Thanks Carol!  Sadly, as bad as covid was, it’s been the least of my problems these past months.

Blahhh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same in my life, I have to say...

When I had covid at Easter, I remarked that it wasn't even the most ill I'd been that year- never mind in life! Ha.

Yeah, life 's a bit of a...you know what, at the moment.

xx

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A little blue car passed up on the highway yesterday, and the words painted on its door said something about Street View, which surely explains the odd contraption mounted on its roof:

18VD8GR.jpg?2

A bit later, the car moved back into the other lane and as we passed it I tried to get a side photo.  Unfortunately by the time the shutter actually clicked, I missed getting the words, but did (barely) catch the little Street View man:

FYaah3v.jpg?1

• Like 1