Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I've watched TEH 4 times - my family think I've seen it 3 times and they said, "Mum, you're weird.". They don't know I sneaked another viewing when no-one was around. I've seen TSoT 3 times but we are going to watch it as a family on Saturday. I had watch it when it was broadcast and 2 secret viewings since then.

Glad to see I am not the only lunatic! But, really, don't you think they just get better with repeated viewing?

I personally think you're a lunatic if you don't love Sherlock! We are the sane ones!  :lol:

I watched TEH 7 times but have only managed 3 full viewings and quite a few 'selected scene' viewings of TSoT as I've been back at work this week. I always love it the more I watch it  :)

But, really, don't you think they just get better with repeated viewing?

Yeah they definitely get better and better. I didn't like them that much after first viewing but now after I've seen TEH 4 times a TSoT 3 times I love them both :)

Amanda Abbington was on BBC Radio 2 this afternoon, if anyone (probably only in the UK) wants to have a listen you can find it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01phwry

She talks briefly about Sherlock, but there aren't really any spoilers, she doesn't give much away!

I really liked Michael Keaton in the role (which surprised me!), and thought Adam West's version succeeded in being camp and funny.  That's about as far as my knowledge of the subject goes -- but surely we wouldn't have a Batman emoticon  :batman:  if somebody on this forum wasn't something of a fan.  Why don't you try starting a new thread and see who shows up?

• Like 1

They forgot to mention Benedict Cumberbatch's then-girlfriend in "Blind Banker."  ;)

The woman who plays Sarah? Was that his girlfriend? :) Cute. Or was it someone else... though I can't remember any other significant woman in that episode (except for Shan, of course, but... :) )

Nope,  Cumberbatch's former girlfriend (Olivia Poulet) played Amanda, Eddie Van Coon's PA -- the gal who had the hairpin.

• Like 1

I really liked Michael Keaton in the role (which surprised me!), and thought Adam West's version succeeded in being camp and funny.  That's about as far as my knowledge of the subject goes -- but surely we wouldn't have a Batman emoticon  :batman:  if somebody on this forum wasn't something of a fan.  Why don't you try starting a new thread and see who shows up?

Thanks for that Carol. :)

Very true about  :batman:, it's good to know someone else is a big fan of the bat too.

I may take your advice about starting a new thread about Batman and see what other people think.

A lot of Batman stories and large parts of the character himself were inspired by Sherlock Holmes so there's bound to be others, like me, who enjoy the adventures of both.

150298_700b.jpg

what_makes_the_bat_by_darknight7-d4hsa9d

• Like 3

I'm fed up of work getting in the way of my fannish life. Sometimes I bloody hate working shifts, most weekends and having odd holidays (worked a 12.5 hour shift on Christmas Day and was in again on the 26th). I won't have been able to watch any of the Sherlock eps at the time of broadcast.

Having said that, it does give me the wherewithal to go to conventions and stuff without necessarily having to use my holidays up.

I'm currently reading The Hound of Baskervilles. I didn't think I would love that one but so far I really do :) 

I'm currently reading The Hound of Baskervilles. I didn't think I would love that one but so far I really do :)

Oh I love that one, as it was the first SH story that I read. I also like that you get to see more of Watson. He usually can't get a word in edge ways with Holmes talking  :lol:

• Like 1

I've already read all Sherlock books years ago but I will recommence this week-end: only this time, it will be the first time I'll read them in english  :bouncy:  :bouncy:  :bouncy:

btw: what do you think about the other books of Sir Athur Conan Doyle (like the Professor Challenger Stories or his historical novels)? I've never read them and so I would like to know if you think I should give them a try? ^_^

• Like 1

As a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories, I tried to read one of Conan Doyle's historical novels but it was quite dull. It was many years ago, so I'm afraid I can't remember which one it was. Ironically, he thought his detective stories were lightweight fun and that he would be remembered for his "serious" novels. Goes to show how an artist can thoroughly misunderstand his own work...

I kind of have to feel sorry for Sir Arthur. He would be very angry with all of us thinking all this talk of Sherlock a colossal waste of time. He should have stuck with writing mystery stores.

I'm off to bed, no Sherlock for me tonight - I'm working night shifts.

As the "His Last Vow" thread is now open, I have moved the last few posts discussing that episode over there.

• Like 1

OK then, we need a new topic here!

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is often quoted as saying that he wanted to be remembered for his historical fiction and/or his spiritualistic works, rather than for his Sherlock Holmes stories, which he apparently saw as frivolous.

But it occurs to me that even Sir Arthur might be very pleased to see the huge impact that his Holmes stories have had on police work.  By bringing Dr. Joseph Bell's deductive methods to the attention of the public, and by thinking up clever methods of detection for Holmes to use, he virtually invented the field of forensics.

So those silly detective stories weren't so silly after all!

No they weren't I watched the documentary "How Sherlock Changed the World" last night, and every forensic expert in the film was over the moon over Sherlock Holmes. There were a good many forensic scientists, even in the late 1800's, early 1900's who got their inspiration and their start just from reading Sir Arthur's detective stories and got to wondering....what if?