Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

There's also a Which TV detective are you? quiz. Options include Sherlock, Sarah Lund, Columbo, Inspector Morse, Jessica Fletcher, and Luther -- but I figure I don't have to be familiar with all of those characters (or even know who some of them are) are just to take the quiz.

Ooh I might have to do that one. Not sure who Sarah Lund is though so hope I don't get her! I'm probably most like Jessica Fletcher... Just not quite as old ;-)

Yep, I was right!

"You're Jessica Fletcher. You're the retired-teacher-turned-novelist who always seems to turn up when there's been a murder. That's a bit suspicious..."

Well, I am a teacher and a wannabe novelist, so it makes sense!

I'm Detective Constable Inspector Jane Tennison.

"You refuse to shy away from difficult topics and you won't stand for sexism."

Yeah, pretty darn close.

In the Sherlock Characters quiz, I suffered from the same disadvantage as T.o.b.y, not understanding some of my options -- plus a lot of the ones I did understand were hard to choose among.  But it's not like these quizzes are rocket science anyhow, huh?

While waiting for the quiz to finish loading, I'm trying to figure out (based on the available answers) which characters are included.  Nine of them, apparently.

OK, I thought some of my answers were heading this direction -- I'm Greg Lestrade.  I'm cool with that.  Not sure it's my best fit, but Greg's a great guy.

You try your hardest to play it by the book, but sometimes you take chances on people. And they usually pay off.

I got Sherlock.

Shrewd, (I wish!!!!) anti-social (um, hrm, eh ... okay, maybe a tiny bit) and brilliant. (Gee, thanks!!!!!!)  You knew you were going to get this result before you even took the test, didn’t you? Yes, cuz I already took it yesterday .....

I'm curious to know whether the average British person has such a detailed concept of the US (stereotypical or otherwise).  Apparently that map was a group effort, and I assume the map they started with had the states labeled, but still ....

I'm also curious how they know about the short-lived early-90's television program Eerie, Indiana.  Maybe it ran on British TV recently?

Those are hysterical, and it sure bolsters my stereotyped view of the British ... that they are a heck of a lot more informed about us than we are about ... anywhere, really.

To be fair, we Americans do have an awfully large and diverse country to keep track of, right here at home.

• Like 1

Nice weather here, but I'm dreading going out in it because I have to find the rabbit nest in the front yard, so Alex can avoid mowing it.  Rabbits invented camouflage!

What I want to know is, why does this one rabbit insist on nesting in our yard when there are three acres of blackberry thickets for her to choose from?

*g* The best part of this year's Eurovision Song Contest, for me, is watching our conservative politicians visibly squirm as they congratulate Conchita Wurst - they'd probably love to ignore her but since Austria last won in 1966 it's kinda big deal :smile:.

Hey Caya! Congrats :) It was a very good song. I personally preferred Sweden's and The Netherlands' songs, but the Austrian was great too :) Certainly better than the Danish... hehe!

• Like 1

Could one of you please describe the Eurovision Song Contest (just in a nutshell)?  I've heard references to it now and then, but would be interested in (particularly) how it's thought of by viewers.

Thanks, sherlockandjohn :).

Carol, describing the Eurovision Song Contest is a bit difficult. On the surface, it's just an annual contest where every country sends one singer/band, and last year's winning country hosts the event. It started out rather small sixty years ago or something, but more and more countries wanted in (including some not traditionally associated with being European, like Israel or Russia) and so they've got semi-finals now where you have to qualify for the big show.

However, this is only half the story. The contest has been going on for so long that it has developed a kind of life and traditions all of its own, and it means very different things to different people. The music tends toward the kitschy, the stage appearances even more so, and some people love it while others throw Song Contest parties with drinking games centered around overuse of the fog machine and such. It's still insanely popular, even though the people who earnestly say they like it for the musical performances (while they certainly do exist) are outnumbered by far by those who'd prefer a root canal to having to watch it sober.

• Like 2

Sounds about like the way I feel about ALL singing/talent TV contests.....

Very good, Caya. I tried to write an explanation for Carol earlier, but didn't get far. You sum it up very accurately...