Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Dunno ... I'm an unabashed Douglas Adams fan, and I love Martin Freeman, but I still didn't like the film much. Can't even quite give much of a reason why, it just failed to grab me.

Same here. For me it was just too frenetic, and I missed Zaphod's other head. But then I've always thought the radio show was the best version anyway. 

I haven't listened to the radio version.  My first encounter with the franchise was the book, and very soon thereafter, the television mini-series.  I absolutely adored both of them.  That was in 1982.

When I saw the title on a movie marquee, I thought good heavens, the tv show was so good, why bother with a remake?  So we didn't see it at the time.  That was in 2005.  Then in 2010, Sherlock happened, and after Series 2, I bought the Hitchhiker's DVD because Martin Freeman was in it.  On first viewing, I utterly loathed it, but Alex and I followed our tradition and watched it again with the audio commentary, which informed me that most of what I'd taken as other people tinkering with the story after Adams' death were actually Adams' ideas.  Apparently he never did stop fussing with it.  So then we watched it again, and I liked it better, but not as well as I remembered liking the miniseries.

So we rewatched the miniseries, and oddly enough I didn't much care for it either.

My current theory is that what I loved about the book and the miniseries was that they were fresh, quirky, and unlike anything else I'd ever encountered -- but now that I've been familiar with them for a few decades, they no longer take me by surprise.  I may try rereading the book, though.  I do love the way Adams phrases things.

Not exactly sure where to put this link, but this popped up on Twitter today, and I thought it might prove useful to some folks who are interested in Victoriana, especially in relation to SH.

http://www.victorianlondon.org/index-2012.htm

• Like 1

Boredom equal lots of crazy ideas..... *replaced all entries in John's blog with tales about the misadventures of a Pathologist and her Sherkitty sidekick in wonderland*

• Like 2

We'll get Star Trek Into Darkness on TV on Sunday! yess.gif

Ah.... where I first saw the Batch and said WHO IS THIS ACTOR?????  And then I watched his SHERLOCK... and I fell down the rabbit hole and.... I'm not sure there's a way out.

• Like 2

Awww!   :hugz:   That's like those doggie "Thundershirts."

I don't know, to me that looks suspiciously like the bulletproof vests for dogs we were discussing on the cute animal thread awhile back. Perhaps somebody is having somebody on?

• Like 1

Ah.... where I first saw the Batch and said WHO IS THIS ACTOR?????

I know exactly what you mean. :smile:

Awww!   :hugz:   That's like those doggie "Thundershirts."

I don't know, to me that looks suspiciously like the bulletproof vests for dogs we were discussing on the cute animal thread awhile back. Perhaps somebody is having somebody on?

I seriously doubt that a Thundershirt (or a tight tshirt, for that matter) would protect anybody from bullets.  But there are only so many ways to make a snug garment that's easy to put onto and take off of a dog.

Carol it is the matter of the materials used. The Thundershirts are not bulletproof, but are designed to calm down the animals.

Which (accidentally) brings me back to Temple Grandin again, and her Squeezing Machine. Must be the same effect. AFAIK wrapping babys really tight was supposed to have a calming effects.

Where have we ended? From tight shirts to cattle treatment. Yes, I love internet.

It's no wonder that time rushes like crazy. All seem to wait for something and wish it would run even faster.

Next series, next DVD, next movie, spring, summer...

Life is what happens while we wait for the next season. <-- hah, one more T-shirt

• Like 2

Right now, I don't want time to go faster at all. I want to stop the clock and stay lying here on my sofa nibbling easter goodies for at least another two hours.

• Like 2

This was on Twitter:

Wouldn't a good name for a residential locksmith be Sure-Lock Homes?

Apparently this company thought so....

• Like 1

I had fun tonight: my book club finally let me choose another book (long story) so I had them read A Study in Scarlet, then showed them ASiP. They loved the book and laughed at all the right places in Pink. Yay! And I may have indoctrinated one of the husbands! :smile:

• Like 4

This was on Twitter:

Wouldn't a good name for a residential locksmith be Sure-Lock Homes?

Apparently this company thought so....

Ooh, there in my neck of the woods. Trying to recall if I actually did see 1 of their vehicles the other day while being out and about. I just might have.

There is never too much indoctrinated husbands. I'd love more input from men about what they like about Sherlock.

This particular guy liked the gun, the street chase, Mycroft, and the Robert Downey version. :rolleyes:

One of the ladies just put Sherlock on her Netflix queue, yay! I win!

• Like 3

Hello! I'm not dead, obviously. Just been busy. I got a letter from an art college near where I live and have been working hard on my art piece for the exhibition.  :D

• Like 7

Good to hear from you, Bendy! :wave: And wow - blow them away! :thumbsup: