Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I think Virginia got yours. :blink: We'd offer to forward it to you, but, y'know, shipping costs and all......

• Like 1

I know and you are beyond generous. I was even going so far as to buy snowshoes just for the occasion. But, no....thank you. I am sure Mother Nature will catch us up, in her own sweet way and time.

• Like 2

Well, here we have some of the right kind of snow! :smile: Deep, heavy and fluffy. As per Carol's request, a few pix. (Warning: don't look if you don't like snow! :P )

Yesterday at the height of the blizzard....

IVYpxP9.jpg

This morning. I do believe this is the most snow from a single snowstorm I have ever seen here.

nBvjLK8.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! But wouldn't ya know, I'm on dial-up today, and I doubt that the pictures would have loaded before the end of the year -- so I added spoiler boxes for my own benefit plus the benefit of those who are scared of snow. :P Maybe I'll get a chance to check out your snow tomorrow when I'm back on DSL.

Dear Carol, driving through sleet and snow is harrowing, admiring dear Arcadia's pictures from afar is an entirely different kettle of fish! Luckily, it has stopped snowing in the forum, so we can go back to business as usual, a famous term coined by Lord Beaverbrook's team against Luftwaffe air raids!

I drove through some light snow this morning and saw the after effects of a spin out because of thaw and re-freezing overnight. I expect today could potentially get above freezing point again. It was near there at 8:30 this morning.

• Like 1

It's only going to get worse this week as we are definitely in our January thaw to end the month.  Near 40F by Friday with sub-freezing temperatures overnight.

Not to change the subject or anything ... :smile: but I finally finished the project I'd been working on for a couple months, and I'm proud of it, so I thought I'd share. It has nothing to do with Sherlock! Just me bragging a bit.

A nearby town wants to have some public art, so here's my contribution to the cause; a meadow in an alley. I used "striping" paint, which is the same stuff they use to paint lines down the middle of streets. It only comes in six colors, so that rather limited the color scheme. At any rate, here it is. It's called "A Bit of Arcadia." :smile:

The alley before I painted it.
yOC4JJO.jpg?1

The alley after I painted it.
QeH2xyN.jpg?1

Some details.
xK9vgDE.jpg?2

Some more details.
lo4sWkn.jpg

• Like 5

That is a-ma-zing, Michele! :applause: And the details are adorable. All that with just six colours? :o

Thanks Caya! I did tint the white paint with artist's acrylics to make pink, grey and brown for the mouse and some of the flowers, but yeah: white, light blue, dark blue, green, yellow and red is all the colors they make it in.

I have green globbb..come, come, do my road first.
Those are really nice, love the mole rat, snake and turtle, looks whimsical but realistic too.

You know, artists like to put their secret touch, not obvious to untrained eyes, it could be ancient suzhou numeral system, silhouette of certain character or... supernova. :P

Re: snow picture. That is nice snow pictures, although they really take forever to load and turn to blank screen so fast.

That reminds me, during my three years high school I never once went down stair by the steps. Me and my best friend just slid through the railing eventhough we wore skirt. (Not too worry, we were skillful enough not to expose anything) while the other teenagers worried about their looks and boys. If we had those snowy staircase.. we would have hundred of ways to go down. (still talking about staircase)

Re: painting roads ... pay all my expenses and I'll let you know when I can be there. :p

Hmm, I have a new camera, it may be making bigger files that I realize. When I get a chance I'll go back and reduce their size, that should help with the download time.

• Like 2

Oh, I've had plenty offers to "come do my driveway". But no one wants to pay for it, so they get a big fat "nooooo." :smile:

• Like 1

Of course.. I imagine it must be a lot of works and efforts.

Technical questions: does it rub off easily and if it doesn't, is it slippery?

Because most of the road art that I saw is either not for high traffic or fade easily, unless they use certain paint (you mentioned some acrylic) that makes it slippery.

Anyway, not for distraction. It's probably old news, but I find it very interesting and want to share it.

Intelligent Stray Dogs, this is just one of articles, there are a lot of them out there.

These stray dogs learn various tricks to survive, including how to interact and live with people; some of the incredible ones are learning that cuter/smaller member of the pack are more likely to get food by begging, and they learn how to commute daily. Commute! 

• Like 2

This is a very specialized paint, made for painting lines down roads, handicapped zones in parking lots, and things like that. So it's supposed to stand up pretty well to traffic, but we'll see. There's not a lot of traffic in the alley, so we're hoping it will last at least a couple years. Although I'm terrified when I go into town on Friday that I'll discover a snowplow has scraped off half of it. :blink:

Nope, not slippery either. It has some sort of sediment in it so when it dries it has the same consistency as asphalt. I didn't add enough acrylic to change the consistency.

Dogs mastering the subway ... that's more than I can do!

That is just incredible, Arcadia!  What do you call that sort of art?  I mean, I would call it a mural, but it's not on a wall -- so maybe floor art? pavement art? road art?

Good question! The city's been calling it a mural, and I just call it art in an alley. :smile:

Once I got started, I understood why you don't usually see painted streets; the amount dirt and trash that washes/is blown onto it is ... higher than I expected.

• Like 1

Well, I was. (A broom, though.) But now it's up to the owner of the alley!