Let's_have_dinner

Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

As she said, there are also farmer's markets in the summer, generally held one morning per week in a parking lot, where local farmers or gardeners can rent space to sell their fruit, veggies, nuts, etc., during the growing season.  I've never seen meat sold in those, though there might be a few animal products such as cheese or honey.

There are farmers markets around here that sell meat.  Grass fed beef from local farms is especially popular there.

I've never heard 'city market'.  I've heard 'meat market', though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I've never heard 'city market'.

Not all cities have them.  Indianapolis is one that does.

19 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Back in the day, a response like that would earn me a chase around the room with an ax aimed at my head.

It's either that she is playing favorite or feel bad about unleashing three banana men at you, but I doubt it's the latter.

:axe: 

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's what I would probably call a city market (because over here the building is generally owned by the city).  And I think that's the term that Arcadia was groping for.

I deny groping anyone, ever! (And I've never heard the term "city market" before.)

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I've never heard 'city market'.  I've heard 'meat market', though.

Same here. There is (or was) a meat market in Portland, Maine. It creeps me out a little, though.

47 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I've never heard the term "city market" 

I have no idea how common they are.  And different cities apparently call them different things.  I knew there was also one in Rochester NY, but I see that it's called a Public Market.

I have no idea how common they are.  And different cities apparently call them different things.  I knew there was also one in Rochester NY, but I see that it's called a Public Market.

Seattle has that as well.

Looks like "Public Market" may be the most common term.  Here's a list of various types of markets (public, farmer's, flea, etc.) in all 50 states.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Hey!!! But, but, but, that is so unfair!!!

I remember someone told me wet market is called that way because the condition of the flooring back then. Sometimes it's just make-shift market without proper flooring material and the produces that vendors brought in (especially sea food) "flood" the floor and you have to walk between puddles.

Anyway, the first time I heard "flea market" I really really didn't want to go. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As you might imagine, there are a lot of jokes about flea markets.  I have no idea why they're called that.  In Hawaii they're called swap meets, though it didn't look to me like anyone was swapping anything.

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

As you might imagine, there are a lot of jokes about flea markets.  I have no idea why they're called that.

I heard (or read) somewhere it's because the stuff being sold is old and therefore might contain fleas. I assume the name arose before modern plumbing

I always wanted to see a flea circus. I was crushed to learn (via Jurassic Park) that they're fake.

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:
7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Hey!!! But, but, but, that is so unfair!!!

That's what makes it so much fun.... :tongue2:

• Like 1

the stuff being sold is old and therefore might contain fleas. I assume the name arose before modern plumbing

Might have fleas in it -- that makes sense.  But plumbing?  You've lost me.  :huh:

I always wanted to see a flea circus. I was crushed to learn (via Jurassic Park) that they're fake.

They are?  :(