Let's_have_dinner

Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Having missed the festivities around here during holiday.

Here, my treat.

For what I've known, you guys are not from India, so feel free to munch on your airport carpet while you can. You are welcome!! XD

20190110-084056.jpg

• Haha 1

Alex goes to India on business now and then.  Thanks for the warning, I'll let him know.

Wonder what their carpets are made of?

Added:  According to numerous websites (including this one), the Hindi script actually should have been translated as "Eating on the floor is strictly prohibited," presumably to help keep it clean.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Added:  According to numerous websites (including this one), the Hindi script actually should have been translated as "Eating on the floor is strictly prohibited," presumably to help keep it clean.

Spoilsport!

And here I am thinking that the carpet must be irresistible. I thought India is first..second biggest English speaking country? But maybe that is not their first language. Anyway I'm disappointed that there is no delicious carpet anywhere in the world.

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Anyway I'm disappointed that there is no delicious carpet anywhere in the world.

Wrong!

Candy Carpet in Chengdu, China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I thought India is first..second biggest English speaking country? But maybe that is not their first language.

According to Wikipedia,

India is the second most populated country in the world with nearly a fifth of the world's population. According to the 2017 revision of the World Population Prospects[1], the population stood at 1,324,171,354.

... and according to this site,

There are 22 major languages in India, written in 13 different scripts, with over 720 dialects. The official Indian languages are Hindi (with approximately 420 million speakers) and English, which is also widely spoken.

Note that less than a third of the population speaks Hindi, with the rest speaking a large assortment of other languages and dialects.  Even though the country was glad to see the end of British rule in 1948, they nevertheless saw the value of keeping the English language.  Unlike HIndi, it's not the mother tongue of any ethnic group within India, and (also unlike Hindi) it's widely spoken outside the country as well.

It's my impression (from Indians I've known in the US) that hardly anyone in India has English as a first language, but most well-educated Indians speak English as a second or third language.  Of course what they speak is Indian English, but that's largely a matter of a unique accent, which shouldn't affect how they write signs.

I'm going to guess that the English portion of that sign was worded by the sort of person who thinks they understand the language better than they actually do, plus was trying to keep the wording as brief as possible (which is hard enough to do when you're actually fluent).  Goodness knows we have plenty of those people right here in the US, and they're native speakers!

• Like 1