Let's_have_dinner

Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I didn't know that either.  Looks like it didn't work out too well, though -- most recent post was six years ago.

Are we back?  :ph34r:  Is the bandwidth issue fixed?

• Like 1

Looks like Tim and Banshee were indeed successful in their quest for some emergency bandwidth allocation, hooray! :bouncy:

• Like 5

'Can't a man have a few moments to enjoy a chocolate frog and a chapter of Sherlock Holmes?'

I don't mind Sherlock Holmes, but what is chocolate frog? :P How many percentage of frog is there? I can't take more than 5% I suppose.

• Haha 1

I think Sheerluck is referring to a type of candy mentioned in the Harry Potter books.  They are actually 100% frog-free (something like chocolate Easter bunnies), though they've apparently had an enchantment put on them, so that they can do a certain amount of jumping, as I recall.

Actually, the reference pre-dates Harry Potter. It's a line from one of my favourite Rowan Atkinson programmes Thin Blue Line. I am a huge fan of Atkinson and that line always stuck with me. Chocolate frogs made by Cadbury were around long before Harry Potter.

I found the scene here and you can see the frog in question.

• Thanks 1

I stand corrected.  The sitcom Thin Blue Line aired on the BBC from 1995 to 1996, and the first Potter novel, The Philosopher's Stone (published in the US as The Sorcerer's Stone) didn't come out till the following year.

The frog-shaped chocolate bars date back even further, to 1930 in Australia.  The company was acquired by Cadbury in 1967, and the frog was sold in the UK from 1973 to 1979, and again starting in 1994, the year before The Thin Blue Line premiered.

I still maintain, however, that only the Potterverse chocolate frogs are able to jump.  ;)

• Like 2

Haiz, I can't tell if I'm relieved or disappointed that there is no frog in the chocolate frog.

• Haha 1

Well there's Crunchy Frog chocolate then. :D

eta: Trigger warning, there's a barfing scene in there, so don't watch it if you get a queasy stomach watching something like that!

(pardon the French subtitles, but this was the best version I could find at the moment)

• Like 1

Holy moly! Did I hear wrongly or one of his chocolate recipe has stainless steel in it?

You know what, that should be excelent for my back pain.

Yep, you eat one of those, your teeth will be hurting so much you'll never notice your back.

Spoil sport!

Smart-Select-20190117-073301-Chrome.jpg

Sherlock must be in charge with that restaurant's menu board today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Speaking of restaurants -- I was having trouble reading the menu in a rather dimly-lit restaurant tonight.  It occurred to me that I've heard of a cellphone app that temporarily turns the phone into a flashlight.  Can anyone tell me where to find that app, what it's called, etc.?  Or if there's more than one, what are the good and bad points of the ones you're familiar with?  Thanks!

Most smartphone has flashlight built-in. I never had to install additional apps for any smartphone I have since its first generation. 

The couple of recent one you can find it from drop down menu when you slide the top part. Otherwise go to home menu. 

Hope that helps?

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Most smartphone has flashlight built-in. I never had to install additional apps for any smartphone I have since its first generation. 

The couple of recent one you can find it from drop down menu when you slide the top part. Otherwise go to home menu.

I've checked the apps that came with the phone (at least I assume that's what that menu is -- the one accessed by tapping the icon that looks like the top of a salt shaker), and there's nothing that sounds like it would be a flashlight.

If by "home menu" you mean the first page that comes up, I don't see anything like a flashlight there either, just phone, camera, etc., and some games.

Not sure what you mean by "slide the top part"?

I have a Motorola Android, if that's any help.

What VBS means is this: when you scroll from the top the bottom you get the options of your Wi-Fi, sound, airplane mode, Bluetooth, GPS and a flashlight. I hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, @Fantasy Lover, that's what I meant. There are menu bar at the top of the phone (where informations like wifi, data, battery, clock etc normally located)

Screenshot-20190420-234755-Gallery.jpg

Do a swipe or scroll down to reveal extended menu, my flashlight (built-in  not apps) is normally located there. You can turn this on and off as needed.

Screenshot-20190420-233449-Gallery.jpg

Or maybe, motorola android (never use this brand since the flip version) has different way. Below is what I got from the web. Not sure about your phone type.

Smart-Select-20190420-205326-Chrome.jpg

If all else fails, there are many flashlight apps in the playstore. Choose the one with least permission needed. (For logical sense, flashlight function doesn't need permission to access your contacts or identity etc. Do not install those that seem fishy).

Screenshot-20190420-233632-Google-Play-S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Happy Easter, everyone! 

• Thanks 1

yjc7vCL.png

Happy Easter!

• Haha 3

On 4/20/2019 at 11:54 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Yes, @Fantasy Lover, that's what I meant. There are menu bar at the top of the phone (where informations like wifi, data, battery, clock etc normally located)

Screenshot-20190420-234755-Gallery.jpg

Do a swipe or scroll down to reveal extended menu, my flashlight (built-in  not apps) is normally located there. You can turn this on and off as needed.

Screenshot-20190420-233449-Gallery.jpg

Or maybe, motorola android (never use this brand since the flip version) has different way. Below is what I got from the web. Not sure about your phone type.

Smart-Select-20190420-205326-Chrome.jpg

If all else fails, there are many flashlight apps in the playstore. Choose the one with least permission needed. (For logical sense, flashlight function doesn't need permission to access your contacts or identity etc. Do not install those that seem fishy).

Screenshot-20190420-233632-Google-Play-S

Thanks, guys!  My phone appears to be different from even that Motorola (I believe mine is Gen 4), but I can search the internet for my model.  And if all else fails, thanks for the advice on choosing an app.

Talking about phones.... don't say I'm paranoid. It's not paranoid if they are out to get you!! 😁

So my phone kept pestering me to do software update (as in updating the whole Android version). I've ignored it for a bit,  couple of months, then decided to do the update when I was in the place it was purchased (so it's easier if problem occurs, worried that the upgrade would result in phone failure, happened to me before). It went well, fast and good. Interface changed a bit but so far okay.

Well, it's still okay, as in nothing really disastrous, butttttt... it randomly logged me out from my existing apps. I have some simple home-used cctv to spy on my dog. They are cheap cctv, therefore I can't consolidate them and they come with different apps, three to be exact. One is working fine, as usual, one logged me out, which is fine when I re-logged in, but one wiped the existence of my device, I'll need to reconfigure it which is quite a hassle.

Nevermind that, the software update apparently ignored my previous preferences to apps. Now, this is a real hassle and source of my paranoia. So, I had disabled all built-in apps that I don't need, disallowed any notifications that I don't need from some apps while retained some important ones, definitely put everything to customized permission especially updates, data usage etc. (I don't like to update apps unless absolutely necessary because new version is not always better and sometimes problematic or asking for additional shady permissions).

But the new software reset it all. Suddenly I found it auto updating all apps (it happened that I was awake during wee hours, which is when phones like to do funny updates and backup that you may or may not authorize). I quickly stopped it as much as I could (it's like closing rapid pop-up windows during errors or virus) and change all settings to DO NOT AUTO UPDATE, putting in permission request for everything, denying notification and background data usage (unnecessary and shady), and restrict everything I could, disabled and uninstalled unused apps (some apps only can be disabled) and happily went to bed feeling safe.

Nope! The day after I was flying and changed my phone to flight mode and changed my sim card. Didn't notice anything that night since I slept like a log, but caught it doing those update again the nights after, last night, when I was still awake way after midnight. Furious, I checked the setting,  and yes, it had change my DO NOT AUTO UPDATE into automatic updates on Wifi. Permission had changed as well. Goddammit!!! I had then changed it back but I'm keeping a stink eye on that and checking the setting often. AND, Just now, when I checked the setting and it's still on what I've set, it went on to auto update!!!! It's like your cat maintaining eye contact with you while pushing your vas from the shelf. WTH????

They are out to get us guys.

• Confused 1

Remind me not to update my phone.  :bemused:  It's weird enough as it is (sometimes rings for calls, sometimes only vibrates; sometimes turns itself on and does not turn off after 5 minutes and runs the battery down; etc.)  I'll get new software anyhow when I need to get a new phone.

I'm a bit relieved to hear that Alex and I aren't the only ones with home cameras.  We have one pointing at the side of the living room where the cats tend to hang out, and another one pointing at a spare bed that they like to lounge on.  (They also like our bed, but it would be just a little too creepy to have a camera pointed there!)

I dislike updating software as well but sometimes certain apps I need doesn't work without updates. (I really hate the way those manufacturers push us to keep 'up to date or you are excluded'. I don't mind if it's for good or necessary, but nowadays most likely it's useless and purposely fixing what is not broken. I still hate the new Windows interface, for simple things like adding thousand of steps just to shut down the computer. I get it that they need to run with the competitors, but nobody actually need to run!! Let's walk together and go develop something useful instead, like anti aging device or detachable titanium spine or whatever. Our phone works perfectly fine around 5 years ago.

Camera, I think it's a necessity for pet owners. It started with us installing one after a scare of intruder one day when I just started staying alone here (it was a loose skylight, knocked by wind). The camera didn't work properly (we tried pointing it at the front gate but it wasn't outdoor camera and wifi was too weak) so it was unused until I had a dog. But then the angle was not good enough and the position was too far (it's not wide angle) that we had a lot of blindspots. Then we had a second one, which worked very well until there were some problems that it sometimes doesn't load. There was a time when my dog was unwell and I was worried sick at work, I only managed to get a glimpse of him from the first camera, so we put the third one.

Ehm, and naturally paranoid, I don't do anything funny that can be seen from the cameras; changing clothing, anything related with money etc. I somehow believe those cameras are easily hacked, but from someone far far away though. :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Ehm, and naturally paranoid, I don't do anything funny that can be seen from the cameras; changing clothing, anything related with money etc. I somehow believe those cameras are easily hacked, but from someone far far away though. :P

Oh, for sure!  I once saw a demo by a security expert.  He was on some tv show, and they had asked the audience members to write down some seemingly harmless info relating to their home computers.  So here it was, maybe an hour later, and he showed this one lady a live feed from her living room computer!